Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration i need tips to paint flat black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93chevy55, Sep 25, 2008.

1. 93chevy55

93chevy55

hey guys, i have my 55 chevy pu im still working on but im gona eventually paint it flat black ive been airbrushing and pinstriping for 3 yrs now and im gona paint the truck myself but little confused with flat black. i no to get gloss i need to put a clear coat on it but what about flat black do i just spray the black and leave it. oh and i know i have to do primer and sand it smooth and everything im just wondering how to make the black flat. do i just keep putting layers of black on or put a protective coat is there a special kind please give me some tips thanks

2. ok dont , use more imagination..

3. 93chevy55

93chevy55

what are u talking about ?

4. theres more colors in the box man !

5. 93chevy55

93chevy55

ya i know that but i want it to be a flat black to give it that rat rod look im gona do the top and bumpers grill white with the truck black

6. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

To give it that rat rod look ? Dude dont worry about how your doing it then just pick up some rattle cans with a flat black top, rustoleum or something, and GIT'R DONE!! If your ride has a nice body and is in good shape, give it a nice paint job dude, the flat black thing is so not a good choice, but in the end its your truck. If you need to go through this phase and we can't stop you, then go you must.
    Anthony

7. 93chevy55

93chevy55

hah thanks man but i love the rats

8. im gonna go past the ratrod remark , but do you realize that some of the best painters in the world are right here on the H.A.M.B.? and that just about any of them would more than be willing to help you make one killa ass ride out of your truck man?? all im sayin is flat black is done , why not think about something different?
    but best of luck with your question , personally i would light a candle and pray for peace..

9. 93chevy55

93chevy55

well i get that there alot of great painters out there and also im only 15 and have barley no cash so i want to do something simple for my first ride and my first truck to paint but after i get more experience and probly a dif. ride i will probly make it into a show truck and start making it really nice like some candy colors but thanks

10. 93chevy55

93chevy55

and im only goin on hamb for help and tips and trying to take as much in as i can im not trying to say like i dont want ur advice or anything like that im just tellin you wat i want to paint

11. why not due your body work and prime your truck as you go along , there are a lot of us that had and have trucks in primer , when the body works done you can then do any color you want , dont spray it flat black black because its cheap fast and easy , spray it the color that you want , hell even if its flat black .. by the time you finish your body work , sanding , block sanding , you will have a better idea of what you want , 55 chevys are cool ass trucks man , you got a bitchin start......

12. Stone

Stone

Black paint with flat clear?

13. squirrel

squirrel

You got more ambition than my kid, we painted the firewall on his 59 truck before we put the engine in a couple years ago...he's 17 now and hasn't done any bodywork on it at all since then. But he drives it, and has done more mechanical stuff to it (resealed the rearend and did the rear brakes last week).

14. roddinron

roddinron

If you're trying to take in as much as you can, you should have taken in by now that many in this place hate the Rat word. You'll get better treatment if you call it a hot rod, at least while you're here.
    Flat black is overdone, but you're young and young guys tend to follow the trends so what I'd do is do a search, you'll find plenty of flat black suggestions.
    Good luck.

15. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Johndeere Blitz Black. Its a flat black enamal paint, not a primer. Its extreamly tough, and will not fade or chaulk like DP-90 will. Its Heat resistent too.

Best part is, its $8.50 a quart. Iv painted an entire car with Johndeere paint. Primer, Paint, and thinner for under 30 bux.

It doesnt need to be clear coated eithor

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Dude, if you care that much about how it looks, do something more than flat black. The point with flat black is that anybody with no experience or skills can do that for under $50 and pull it off. Go with real paint and and color and make it actually look good. If it is for that truck in your avatar, leave it the way it is if nothing else - already looks 10X cooler than flat black. Please don't even mention the red wheels.

17. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Dude, basically what everyone is telling you is, a rat is a rat, and that truck does not a rat make. I personally like rat rods myself (and I'm sure I'll get shit for that, get over it), but the car dictates the style, and that's not a rat. That "rat rod" look you want so badly is usually the result of having a car that's either not quite ready for a hot rod look or a car that is too far gone to be anything but. If you're here for advice, don't knock the advice that's handed to you. Go your own way if you want, but don't bite the hand of the guys who were down enough to give you a free piece of their mind. It's few and far between these days.

18. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Leave it the color it is and stripe the shit out of it, at least until your ready for some real paint. just my 2 cents

19. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

20. dodgord

dodgord

paint it black man if thats what you want! never mind the opinions, talk to the guys at the paint shop, personally id shoot it in a satin black (it washes easier) or hit it with flatting base in your clear

21. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I had to check out this post just to see the remarks. You guys were easy tonight!

22. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i was waitin for the bombs to go off also!

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Eh all that does is chase ppl away. FLH was showing him that there is a lot more than perhaps what the kid came here for. 2 yrs ago I would have been a jerk to this kid, but thats idiotic. Then he will leave with a bad taste in his mouth for rodding and buy a Honda, and who can blame em?

Yeah the rat rod term isn't very welcome here, but if flat black didn't look good, nobody would have done it! A few of my cars have been satin black. Best of luck with the project, maybe look into a few other satin colors.

24. bustingear

bustingear

Does this John Deere paint come in any other color in flat???

25. rusty48

rusty48

Check out Tractor Supply semi gloss black,$27 a gallon hardner is 5 or 6 dollars,it'll look better and not cost much more than rattle cans.

26. dankyd

dankyd

Flat black is done? Well... so is slappin some white walls on, lowering it down and calling it traditional.
    Look, paint it how you want. If the issue is money, I would go with some rattle can first and see how you like it. You can always re-paint it. Hope the airbrushing goes well for you. Post some stuff on the Friday art show.

27. plainoldmustang

plainoldmustang
    from Ohio, USA

Amen. hell, buy a real color, it's about $1 more. IMO saying "all I can afford is flat black" ain't true. Ok, if you want it, cool, paint it flat black, but if you can afford flat black, you can afford color, so if you want color, buy color for chrissakes! Just don't fool yourself with the "it's all I can afford" line.

I'm not an old guy lecturing either, I'm 21 (and broke as fuk), and I helped my buddy paint his white chevy truck with the tractor supply paint. Whole job was ~$80 for hardner, paint, and primer I think, and if I could have got his ADD-HD ass to spend more than a couple hours on the body work, it would have been a show quality job, but as it is, it looks damn good, and I'd drive it.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

my 2 cents..Flat Black does not make it a rat rod

shitty engineering and unsafe cobbleing it togeather makes a rat rod..

hell if your gonna get the body right for painting..it takes about as much time and money to paint it flat black as it does most other colors...am I right about that?

29. dankyd

dankyd

$80?! Shit man, 80 bucks would buy my paint job, plugs, points, wires...
    I paid 2.96 a can and used 12 ofum. That means that for less that half I got something that makes my car appear to be intentional. When you buy discount hot dogs you'll understand the "It's all I can afford" line. $40 dollar savings means something to some people.

30. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

There is always....

[​IMG]