Register now to get rid of these ads!

to chop or not to chop....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chief7six2, Sep 25, 2008.

1. chief7six2

chief7six2
    from las vegas

ive got a 53 chief coupe and im just kinda feeling out what i want to do to it.

i want to change the paint scheme for sure (maybe matte black w/yellow interior). but what i really want to know is should i chop it or not. is it worth it or should i keep it original? i know its personal preference but i want some input from some people who know more than me and my buddies and i dont want to do it and regret it.

2. the pic in your avatar looks bitchin as is ..

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

i agree, make some cosmetic changes, but don't chop it. looks good as is.

4. I say chop it but keep it yeller. Personally on a custom thats already got the shiny keep the shiny maybe add a flake roof..................my $0.02

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a driver in the Avitar, gutting the interior for the chop is a lot of work. How are your shills and tool setup?

6. chief7six2

chief7six2
    from las vegas

it was that color when i picked it up and it needs two dents shaved out, thats why i want to paint it. i like that idea of flaking the roof and still going for that hotrodflatz matte black... its still up in the air though. your $0.02 is greatly appreciated though. thanks

7. Tony

Tony

That car look's real good as it is in my opinion. But, if you like the looks of a chopped car, then go for it.
    The effort put in is usually worth it if you take your time and get the proportion's right..In other words, make it flow and not chop it too much.
    I chopped my 53 chevy and don't regret it one bit...because i wanted a chopped car..
    And i know, you didn't ask for opinion's on your color idea's..........
    But i gotta chime in anyway :)

The yellow look's real good, and would look slick be it shiny or satin...
    And two toned would be even better....like a pearl white roof with yellow bottom..

I LOVE satin black, and am doing one for myself now that color....BUT, i'd sway away from it for that car. It is extremely common...but, if you are like me and just like it because YOU do and could care less about what's common and what's not..then shoot it black!! :D:D...

8. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I am with this guy.

9. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

If done right, they look sinister chopped.

10. choppin the car would be cool , but fuck the black ..

11. chief7six2

chief7six2
    from las vegas

it seems the consensus is no matte black...

i love it on other cars thats why i was thinking about it, ive never seen it on a chief though.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

everybody chops cars. I say raise the roof 6 inches like the '50 chevy truck that Big Bird drove in the Muppet Movie.

not sure how you'd do the glass though.

13. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

If you want a chopped car do it, but do it right, I think it looks fine the way it is. Chopped cars are dime a dozen.

14. NOTCH

NOTCH

15. brewsir

brewsir

Your car...what do you like???? No on the black here too

16. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

every thing look`s better chopped

17. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

for sure dude......

18. chief7six2

chief7six2
    from las vegas

Tools aren't an issue but gutting the interior is. That's something that I didn't even consider. That is definately a lot of work but that's why I started this thread, I needed to know what I'm up against. Thanks.

19. brewsir

brewsir

You are looking at removing all the glass and interior. You will have to cut the curved windshield...probably yourself, and the side glass. New headliner,cutting down all the window moldings and stainless....all in all it is a huge job. But if you aren't scared of a little work....go for it!

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

Chopping the top is just the beginning. Then you have to cut down the vent window frames and such, the garnish mouldings, etc. And what are you going to do about the back window? Then you need the headliner custom made, and all the side glass redone (you can't just cut what you have, because shapes change as you chop it down), etc, etc, etc. I chopped my '53 Chevy because it was a field car and needed all new glass and interior anyway. The '51 Chevy I'm about to chop is a total basket case. No way would I chop a nice car with good glass and interior.

21. JEPPA

JEPPA

A chop is a big job and can go south fast. I'm not saying don't do it. Just get the car closer to the ground with springs & blocks. Mabye some cool rim & tire combo. Don't do the black. Anything but black. Drive it! That's my two cents.

22. roddinron

roddinron

Another FNG wanting to take a nice car and paint it flat black, why take a nice car like that and drag it down to the level of a rat rod.
    If you don't know what's involved in chopping a top, then you're probably not qualified to do it, so don't attempt it on that car, it's not an easy one to learn on. Can you afford to buy 3 windshields? Chances are you'll need that many or more before you get one in. And all the little details like chopping the wings, the moldings, fitting glass, etc. is overwhelming. That car would look good chopped, but it looks good now too, but it wouldn't look too good sitting in a garage half chopped and no glass installed covered in lawn chairs and ten years of dust.
    If you're driving it now, leave it alone and have fun and buy a cheap project to cut up, when it's done then sell the chief to someone who will appreciate it.

23. Got more pics handy? It looks good in the avatari. Another vote for no chop, and nothin' but what's needed to get it and keep it driving.

Thanks,
    Kurt

24. its your ride, you drive, ..if you wanna chop it then go for it...their is a lot of info here that will help you do the chop right...

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

I'd say you got a car you can enjoy right now... I'd say a big HELL NO to flat black, that's for sure. Realize that a top chop is gonna take the car off the road for a while.
    Maybe lower it a little and drive the hell out of it....

26. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

if you do chop it, chop it right... i say a yellow with a black w/ gold flake roof...

my 2 cents

plus you wouldnt believe what a difference it makes when you lower it. so lower it a smidge before taking it to the chopping block :)

27. roddinron

roddinron

And get rid of that ugly bright yellow around the windows!

28. Oh yeah, that looks fine as is. Just get it ready for the year-round driving season.

Thanks,
    Kurt

29. If you want to chop it chop it if not don't. I tell you thou if you paint it flat black its just going to look like every other chevy at the rockabilly show. I would think about maybe lowering and some white walls and cool hubcaps before you chop it though, thats not an easy chop to get to turn out right and that looks like a pretty nice car might not want to f up a nice car on your first chop. Start with a shitty old F 1 pickup or something for your first chop. LOL

30. chief7six2

chief7six2
    from las vegas

ok, i'm convinced. no matte-black. i do want to fleck the roof though, any ideas as what color?