Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball oil filter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RODMAN58, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I recently was doing some work on a friends 52 Plymouth. I got stuff to change the oil and when I got ready to change filter I realized it had been changed to something either aftermarket or "engineered". It was an AUTOLITE FL 142. Does anyone know anything about this filter or what it originally came on. I cannot find anything on the net. Not even any sort of cross reference or an AUTOLITE listing. It could be farm use, commercial or who knows. Any help would be appreciated. It's a closed filter with fitting on the top and botton to bolt it on. It claped in the original filter spot so I don't know if it was a add on sort of accessory or just a good idea at the time. Give me your thoughts.
    thanks,
    Rod

2. Would you happen to have a picture? Is it spin on or canister? What motor, any name on it?-MIKE:confused:

3. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

the oldest catalog i have only goes back to 53', if it is the same as 52' then that is not the stock filter.

4. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

autolite fl142 =

fram: c120e

wix: 51011

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If that filter has 1/8 pipe threads at each end it is a Wix 51035,used on Mopar products 47-57. You replace the whole thing, it is a by-pass style. Nothing weird about it unless you were born after 1970 or so ! LOL

6. barney rubble

barney rubble

The Wix 51011 is a cartridge filter that needs a housing and is not correct. I came up with it the same way my first try at this. And I think the 51035 is no longer avaliable from Wix. JMO

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The Purolater # is PER 1/2 ... they can be expensive when you find one.

8. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

So who sells these units for the mightly Mopar flat head vintage 52.
    Rod

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe what you are looking at is a sealed disposable bypass cansiter filter. They have been discotinued by all the major makers. Still a few on epay occasioally but getting very expensive. You would probably be betterserved to look for a regular can with the disposable element. Just about any will work. Most of these were dealer installed or aftermarket add ons. They can be had at swap meets and on epay for 30 bucks or so.

10. 51 Cranbrook

51 Cranbrook

From my Handle you probably know I'm tinkering with a flathead six. I want to convert the throw-away oil filter with a canister and cartridge type of a similar size. Any idea where I can find one? eBay shows a few but no MoPar.