Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Transmission options for a '61 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacCorey, Sep 23, 2008.

1. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

My buddy is trying to fix up his '61 Buick Special Deluxe, and it's got the 215 "baby nailhead" in it with a two-speed Dana-Glide transmission that utterly sucks. I know that Pontiac had a 215 for the same year, hooked to a three-speed Hydro-Matic, and was wondering if it's possible to bolt that three-speed onto the Buick 215? I know that in the muscle car years Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac all had the same transmission bolt pattern, but did that go back further? Thanks in advance, Corey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Pontiacs used the rope drive with a reversed Corvair transaxle in the back of the car, they had a manual or a Powerglide. Check out a Motors Manual, it's the damnedest setup you ever saw - all Tempests had it, 61-63, even with the 326 V8.

The 215 is the motor they sold to Rover in England so you may have to look at some English sites to see what else fits on there; I'm not sure if the later Buick V6 used the same bell pattern or not. Or if anyone's making an adapter - a 200R4 would probably be a neat swap into one of those.

3. squirrel

squirrel

the early 61-63 215s had a funky bellhousing pattern. The Oldsmobile version used a mini hydro, it's also a pain to deal with. They did put normal manual transmissions in some of them, I think the bellhousings are hard to find but they do exist, so you can put a normal 4 speed behind the engine.

http://members.aol.com/wake074/drive.html

edit: also see ebay 140269323939

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard that there is an adapter available, and that this site, (http://www.aluminumv8.com) may be of some help. However, their pricing guide for transmission adapters is down, so I can't see pricing. I'll have to call them in the morning.

5. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Another question. Is it still possible, even though the Pontiacs ran that strange Corvair setup, to incorporate that transaxle and rope drive system into the Buick? I know that Nate wants an automatic, because this one's on airbags, but all of the adapters I've been able to find for it have been for converting to manual.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I would think it is possible but not very reasonable to do. The biggest issue is the rear suspension, don't recall what the Tempests used, but I am thinking a transverse leaf like Corvair. The Buick's used a 4 link coil setup I believe. Very different. Might just go with a newer transmission, but the trans you have is not a bad transmission, considering it has a lockup clutch converter.:)

The bell bolt pattern doesn't give you many easy options. I believe it did use the old nailhead pattern, so it might be possible to adapt a SP400 out of a 65-66 big buick.:cool:

7. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

His 215 does have all of the signature earmarks of a nailhead, only smaller:). From what I saw, that SP400 may be possible, but my buddy'll have to drill and tap a new mounting hole for the smaller starter Buick used from '64-'66:(. I think he may be leaning more towards buying a new Dana-Glide (or Dyna-Flow, I've heard both terms used...) 2-speed, or rebuilding his own again... If anyone else has some new information to offer, I'd really appreciate it:D.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

The Rover version uses the same bellhousing as the Buick 215.

You can get a used Range Rover with a 3.5L (215) or a 3.9L for about $500. It will have a 4 speed ZFhp22 (think 700R4) You would have to adapt a tailstock as it is a 4wd transmission, but it gives you an option. If you are just looking for the transmission, you could get one for $250 or less.

Early grey market Range Rovers (81 or so through 85) had a TF727. The are out there, but are harder to find and more expensive the the ZF. Also the Rover SD1 car had a 3speed auto, which I think was a 727, this would be a car transmission, so it would have a tailstock.

-Jeff

9. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Jeff, that is quite possibly the most feasible option I've heard yet. No offense to the others that have also pitched in, thanks to you all as well. My friend who actually owns the Buick just joined, so perhaps he'd like to say something himself.

10. oldskoolcreeper

oldskoolcreeper
    from California

I thought that from the start as an option but seeing as how I have already been inside mine, I didn't want to put it back, or fuck around with mating tail pieces,but as the search drags on it becomes one of the few options I will actually have, On another notei will be dropping a 350 with a powreglide behind it into my wagon, and a 302 or 351c depending on what I find, so I know in Canada the cars came with small block does anyone know where to get the mounts or do I have to fab them?

11. rocket scientist

rocket scientist

Modern GM auto transmissions will bolt in with an adapter. Kennedy Engineering sells the same one that D&D does for alot less $

You can go with a TH350 or the smaller 200, If you need overdrive the 200-4R is the ticket--small, light and will take the least amount of trans tunnel modifications to fit.

12. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

The Canadian cars had a smallblock because they also had a Chevy frame and running gear.

Canadian only Pontiacs are Chevrolets with Poncho sheetmetal and badges.

Shawn

13. krooser

krooser

The Special/Tempest/F85 were unibody cars without any Chebby parts.

The Tempest from 61-63 used an independent rear suspension in addition to the speedometer cable drive system...

14. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You're correct, they have no Chevy parts because they're Pontiacs.

The Canadian built Pontiacs are on a Chevy chassis.

Laurentian, Acadian, Parisienne, Pathfinder are all Chevrolet chassis.

Shawn

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nope, the distributor is on the wrong end for starts. It's also missing the torque that a Nailhead has....

Nope... the bellhousing pattern is neither early or late Nailhead... no luck there....