Register now to get rid of these ads!

First they came for you,and I did nothing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48ford, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Brian C

Brian C

When you say "manure spreader" you mean like Hyundais? :D

2. We all need places to vent when stuff like this happens, and it keeps the rest of us aware of what's going on. If it isn't in our town, it's comming. The town will charge you to take your property, then sell it, even if it's sold as "scrap" to make money. The guy who buys the "scrap" may end up putting it on ebay and making money. SUCKS MAN.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

So, let's be clear, you only have a problem with 50% of the government. The other 50% you are fine with. What don't I understand? When a person becomes a politician, they become part of the government - no misunderstanding that unless you want to start using some of that new right wing "science" on me. That also includes one of the most disliked Presidents, Ronald Reagan. You don't get more governmental than being President and a past governor as well. You just proved my point - people love to hate government, except the part the they like and the part that gives them what they want. All I am saying it is not honest to be hypocritical about it and just start bashing all "government". Everyone loves government, they just don't like it when it doesn't fit their individual needs and then get upset about it. They seem to forget government isn't there for their individual needs, it there to support and protect each and everyone of our needs together as a whole. So, when government isn't working for your individual needs, try to at least look at things from other people's perspective and try to be sympathetic to that before you start getting all up set about not getting exactly what you might want. Stop being so selfish and hateful towards others.

Now to the original point, I 100% agree that this policy his local government has seems pretty bad and I don't think it is good. But, I don't know all the facts, so that is just an uninformed opinion at best for now. I hope he gets it worked out well for himself and his neighbors as well.

By the way, yes I live in Berkeley, thanks for being so cliche. I have a problem with a lot of the left wing morons that live here too, but its still a pretty nice town to live in regardless and thanks for moving away.

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Where IM at you have to have current tags and the vehichle has to be able to move on its own power. It has to be parked on concrete, driveway etc.
    If its passed the corner of the house it has to be tagged and still be able to move on its own power.
    I had a Bronco set next to my driveway a few years ago and they were on me. It cant be there. Then they even told me it could be around the back no problems. We poured a wider driveway :)
    It set there another year. IM sure the one neighbor was happy when she saw me tearing it apart and hauling it off. She wasnt happy when the same week I replaced it with another beater truck for hauling.
    I generally keep everything cleaned up, but I will go 2 weeks every now and then during a teardown where I have some stuff out.

5. Sage

Sage

stude_trucks,

You're quite welcome.

You obviously didn't like Ronnie...I did (remember, allot of Dems helped vote Ronnie in to office). I didn't like Clinton. Maybe you did. Differing of opinions. Perhaps you've noticed that this country has been pretty evenly split down the middle since, well, Ronnie left office.

Me personally...I have no use for Government. Not 100%. Not 50%. But most definately 0%. Where I live the only, and I mean only, Government Service I could possibly utilize (that my for my taxes pay for) would be Law Enforcement. And quite honestly, the only "service" they would be providing, given their response time, would be to identify the bodies.

And, oh yeah...I'm happier than I've ever been. I hope you can say the same.

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

This new Ohio (read GESTAPO) law requires that the vehicle be BOTH licensed AND operational.
    The townships are now empowereed to get loans to get your stuff towed, and guess who pays them back via fines?

I fled Ohio partly because of this kind of crap. While I was there I spoke several times at length with my state representative. He claimed the townships are "dirt poor" and can't afford to do the cleanup, hence the loan provisions. Yet, I noticed that on my 28 mile trip to work I saw AT LEAST 3 and as many as 12 "officers" writing tickets or at least trying to. My chats did clear up an ambiguity in the first proposal. There was a bridge between "junk" cars and "collector" cars based upon value. I forget the exact $$ amounts ($400 and $1500 if memory serves but that was over a year ago we spoke), and they re-wrote the law AGAINST us. Now anything worth less than the higher figure is subject to tow.

There still may be a provision in the law that if the car is appraised at OVER a certain figure it is exempt from this "clean up" bill as he called it. That might be worth checking into.

Or you could do what i did.....FLEE!

7. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

Yep, Yard art!!!!!!!!!! My Dad knows a guy that bought 2 semi trucks full of model A parts. Had 15 rear axles he leaned against his garage. Some jag called zoning and he did get a violation notice. Hung some flower pots from them called it yard art and the jag has to look at it. I think we have more important issues in this country than a non running car in your yard!!!!

8. lewislynn

lewislynn

Well no, sadly he's dead now.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sage,

I never even knew the difference between the right and left, never thought much about it and never cared much before Reagan came along. But he definitely clarified the difference between Americans if nothing else, I agree. And that divisiveness is what I really dislike about him. I really hate that he turned Americans against each other. Clinton, well let's be honest, not that great either by a long shot, even less now and his wife turns out even less so. I hope Americans can once again find more common ground than differences. We are pretty much 90% the same, but sadly it's the 10% that really seems to bother a lot of people.

We seem to agree on hot rods, and although I am not for 0% government, I agree less is generally more as long as it is respectfully and not hypocritically applied.

We're suppose to avoid political crap on here and I should do my part. Let's agree on hot rods and less government, be respectful of others and have some fun.

10. lewislynn

lewislynn

It's funny how everyone but our troops complain about how we treat our troops. Speaking of taking away rights of their own citizens, would you Australians like to discuss gun rights?

11. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

So true.

And, i think most of us here are pretty much in favor of roads, too. There was a time (circa 1801) when it was pretty fiercely argued whether or not the govt should have the authority to build roads in this country.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Actually, the Supreme Court has ruled that flyover ARE legal for enforcement. Just because it's not visible from the road doesn't mean it can't be viewed by the powers that be. There have been a series of cases involving drugs, usually people growing weed in the middle of a corn field, that have forced the Court's hand. As far as I know, there have been no cases of old cars being spotted via air patrol, but don't think that just because they haven't doesn't mean they can't.

That said, the federal powers set forth a minimal standard of rights. Individually, states may elect to give their citizens more rights that the Constitution gives. If you live in a state where flyovers are deemed to be an illegal search, then you're OK. But going strictly by the federal interpretation, you're SOL

13. Exactly what I was thinking.
    There are some really beautiful houses around me that look like they were built in the middle of a farmers field.
    Been vacant for 6 months plus.
    I'd rather look at old cars/projects than have empty homes with crappy yards around me.
    Funny that those empty homes are created by a lot of the same people that push these stupid laws.

14. Vote the fuckers out behind this crap...........they give nazis a bad name!!

15. Its BS there should be a classic or special interest clause in these laws at least or do away with them all together

16. Hans

Hans

Call me a jerk, but I don't see how the city/county or whatever telling you to get rid of old cars, deserves a reference to the Holocaust.

Not trying to be a jerk, but some people might take more offense to it than I. Just seems a like a trivial I think to compare to genocide.

My 2 cents is all.

17. Death to all the shitters

18. How is that even possibly constitutional or allowable in America? It sounds like a blatant disregard of the 4th amendment.

The problem is they don't pull that stunt on a lawyer or someone who can find a way to make it hell for them when they do.

Ohio: Nice place to visit, just don't visit too long.

Come to think of it that would explain what I saw on my last trip across rural Ohio a number of years ago. A 2-door Chevette someone cut the back top off from and made into sort of a pickup truck. It was at a parking lot in town, so it must have been able to move under it's entire 3 horsepower.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't need fly overs when you have google maps, etc. Think they are possibly an invasion of privacy now, wait until they start getting updated more frequently along with all the previous ones kept on record for review. Then anybody on the internet can see what you have going on in your back yard in pretty good detail too. Building that garage might be a good option for other reasons beside government and street views.

20. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

#%&*suckers...........wtf.............that was my chevette pickup,they only made a few, NOT

21. Sage

Sage

Sarge...It's always the Conservatives. It's all a friggin right-wing conspiracy, I tell ya! And, yes, I'm a Conservative. Right-winger too boot. Problem I have is that most of the so-called "right-wingers" aren't far enough to the right to suit me.

22. Dont worry about us, we always seem to be OK in the end. Every American generation has had its beefs with government. But the fact is the Democracy is still in place. Don't like how your city,state or township is run? Then get in office and make a difference.

23. I had to think a while about the very point you bring up. I came to the conclusion that the title was very appropriate. It's not making a comparison between losing a few old cars and putting human beings in ovens. Rather, it is making a comparison between do-gooder, nosey neighbors looking in people's back yards to see if they have anything that might violate some narrow minded county code and young men in brown shirts running around making sure no one is doing anything the government does no approve of.

It's a slippery slope brother. And a long way down.

24. Maybe we should park the cars so they spell out "Fuck You" in giant letters. Then when the pictures turn up complain to them about the obscenity in their pictures.

One thing about Google Maps and Windows Local Live, I've used them to try to track down cars I've seen from the highway and such, but you can't get enough detail to tell if a car has plates on it or not. Most of the time I can't zoom close enough to tell much more than that something is a car - or a bunch of refrigerators on their sides pushed up tight to each other.

25. Gun Rights, I go pistol shooting once a month.
    And our current Prime Minister used to be big into rifle shooting so I'm told. Our gun rights are not as bad as the media would have you believe.
    You just have follow the rules.

You completely missed my point. At no point did I mention how you or your gov treats your troops. My point is that your Government promotes it self around the world as the keepers of the free, yet it's own citizens are not even free to keep a unregistered car in their own front yard.

It's just an outsiders view looking in that's all.

Tman you are absolutetly right every generation does have it's own beef with the government.

26. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That just doesn't sound constitutional. You should contact SEMA & the ACLU. I fought these guys for years and it seems like they have laid off me for a the last two or three but I do worry about them.

Just curious, has the ACLU ever stuck up for a car collector? Seems like that should be right up their alley along with protecting the rights of all those other people. I consider owning a hoard of ancient cars to be an "alternative lifestyle".

I have always wondered what they would say if I asked for their help with this.

27. Hans

Hans

Either way, you are comparing the current situation to Nazis.

Ah, fuck it....hot rods, not history....not the right place.

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

They don't make the detailed stuff public, yet. But, you can bet it's coming before you know it. Think 5-10 years back, now project 5-10 years ahead. :eek:

29. You're right, wrong place for political or (non hot rod related) historical discussion, but this does affect hot rodding as it infringes on hot rodder's private property right's. I personally am not comparing the current situation to Nazi's marching through Europe and trying to eradicate a race. I am comparing the current situation to Nazi's peeking over fences and in windows and laying a foundation for a society with no right's at all.

After all, Nazism didn't look all that bad to most Germans in 1933. So what if a few people out on the fringe lose a few rights. We have good intentions.

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

we ALL need to contact sema, there are a lot of members here, enough to get noticed. we need someone on here who practices law to jump on this before it starts a precedent. next thing you know they will be ripping off your garage door and taking your cars for being parked there. think i'm kidding? the point of these laws is to destroy the hobby,pure and simple. I had friends in Cali who's car was impounded because it was in primer, and they tried to say it didn't have a proper color. not sitting,he was pulled over and they towed his car for that very reason. it was registered and insured the entire deal. he got a lawer and sued to get it back.