Register now to get rid of these ads!

We're loosing the younger generation !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confucius says " To soon old and to late smart" Do ya think this was directed at the FNGs. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board and it's basically free for the taking. You have to have the desire to be a Hot-Rodder and not some dick-weed that just wants to hang in the clubhouse. Some cats switch hats often as in the fact that they see hot-Rodding as being cool for a couple of years and then they vanish. These are the thin skinners that can't take the heat!!! There's another saying that goes "you can't fix stupid" and one more that goes "you can't buy cool". Now the way this shakes out is stupid dudes can come to the clubhouse as long as they don't talk and never do they get to use the tools!!! The guys that are trying to buy coolness can't come to the clubhouse ever!! The moral to this story is I've been playing this gearhead game since I was 12 and I've learned more from cats that were 20 years older than me that took me in and were glad to share the wealth of there knowledge with me. As I said before come here and stir up shit and you'll pay the price. Once again this is just my opinion and I could be wrong >>>>.

2. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

Somebody remind me why we're loosing the younger generation...did we misplace them again?

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm not trying to stir up shit, I read a lot of things that i never answer because it's knowledge. where else are you goig to find this collection of knowledge in one place? All I'm saying is don't hate on a guy because of what he drives, he might like your car and he gets run off because someone doesn't like his car.There are alot of sectors in the car community that build a lot of different cars, but many of them are interested in the traditional cars also. just keep an open mind, that guy who built the front wheel drive car might have worked on it just as hard as you have on your car. :cool:

4. Nobody flamed me or busted my balls when I started posting....I,m feeling kinda left out.

5. Gibson

Gibson
    from Butler, PA

I'm 16, have gont to car shows scince i was 6 months old, and have more tools than my dad for car crafting. hell, i have parts to cars no one in my familt has ever owned!

6. Are they stolen? :D

7. ----------------------- It's plane and simple. Read my profile. I have a 3 car collection that is NON H.A.M.B. friendly. When I first came here I thought I could post about my other cars and I got blasted and ignored so I learned the lesson. All I can say is if you have a variety of cars that don't fit in here keep them to yourself or share them with the dudes in the OTHER CLUBHOUSE but don't try and throw them out on here. I don't know any other way to explain it >>>>.

8. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I don't think the hobby will be lost as some say! The hobby of "Hot Rodding" has always been about innovation. Since everything has practically been done by now, we enjoy what is called "Traditional Hot Rodding". Growing up, I was influenced by racing, lowriding, customs, and hot rods. And yes, those are all different categories. A hot rod can only be so hot rod before it turns into a racer. Albeit a streamliner or stockcar or dragster. Custom can only have so much done before it turns into a lowrider. If there must be a parallel, let me say how one would incur ridiculous looks from a group of "Mini-truckers" if you said you were a full size trucker! I agree "branding" things can be stupid but they define our hobbies and styles! Now let me say this. HOTRODDING WAS, IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE EXPENSIVE! You read how people bought cars for 50 bucks back then, but 50 bucks was ALOT back then!! The budget thing will never be a reason to keep younger guys out. It's called dedication! That is why we are here, on the HAMB. DEDICATION!! This was my rant. If you must, flame me because the one time I got flamed it got deleted...as this probably will too.;)

9. Gibson

Gibson
    from Butler, PA

nope, given to me at swap meets, bought, found in the trash, my neigbors dont know what they have! got a brand new steering dampener just by trash picking, im gona put it on my door so when im pissed it dont slam as hard

10. mmmmmm....Russian chicks!

11. Gibson

Gibson
    from Butler, PA

I'll take em!

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I usualy don't post my car, I do talk about some of the stuff i have built, I mean making your own parts transcends all parts of the hobby. but it does make me mad when people sit there and trash all people who have imports as "ricers" and then complain when everyone calls all hot rods " rat rods" . there is a very specific definition of ricer,and the one's I know,I don't like eithier. there is a difference between someone who builds a nice import, and a ricer,with a big wing, stickers,and a fart can, A big difference. I joined here because I like the cars, and the fact that people actually build things,not order them out of a catalog. Even on the import boards, I'm a bit of an oddity because I actually make my own stuff. kind of stuck in the middle here.

13. aye.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

well at least DocWatson recognizes he is a jerk and a prick. Give us your whole life's story, Doc and I doubt you will earn my respect. If you can't give respect, you don't earn it. So there. You got flamed

15. wethebmx

wethebmx
    from walnut, ca

I guess im not a fng anymore, but i think i am still a kid. Im 21 and I talk like a old timer about cars. in fact, most of the guys i talk to cars with are all old timers. But, I'll admit that when i first started getting into these types of cars that we all love so much, i used to carry around a shit rag(rat whatever mag) in my back pocket, with my gross greasy slicked back hair and some way overcuffed levis(and they weren't even american made!) yah, if you saw me now, you would never know i went through that phase. at least it was short lived. BUT, it did get me to fall in love the the traditional hot rods and kustoms. I cant even remember the last time i saw the that crap magazine, and I have never even seen any other forums.
    ive gotten off topic.
    my point is, im just a kid and ive got flamed before, but I learned very quickly to listen twice and talk once. I have an very dangerous job also, an i see alot of guys like me get hurt, because kids today can't shutup. i appreciate every guy who gives me a chance to talk, because If they let me talk that means maybe they care about my opinion, and to me, that means im learning.

keep teaching us youngsters guys,
    but youngsters, just the shut up and listen first.

and thats coming from a 21 year old.

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

fuck 'em (the younger generation that is...)

if they dont have the balls to do shit for them selves then why should we bend over for them to accomodate them...

,,i am sure as hell am NOT going to hand anything to anybody on a silver platter...

if they want to be into hot rods and customs then i THINK THAT IS RAD!!!

,,but ,i dont see the point of going outta my way to recruit youngsters,...

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

It's traditional to bust a FNG's balls :D

18. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

it is.
    as a FNG myself, i've learned way more from reading then posting.
    but then again theres all sorts of personalities in all different hobbies and lifestyles, so i guess poster beware!

19. More quotes from Confucius directed at Fucking New Guys. "A wise man never blurts out all he knows" >>>>.

20. A-Wall

A-Wall

im a FNG, im also young. have always been around hotrods but i respect all cars, my old daily driver was a built honda civic, fastest time it ran was an 11.7 @ 129mph, traction?, looked stock on the outside with the origional honda steelies and i got almost 40mpg driving it to work everyday, which is my custom car fabricating shop where there is currently no car newer then 64, a 53 and the 2 oldest are both 36's. so i like everything.

21. I'm certainly no expert, and have never been dedicated specifically to traditional hot rods. I'm 25, always been a car guy, and have had all sorts of cars.
    I've been around forums for years, and I run my share (I run www.dezertdimes.com, an S10/Sonoma prerunner fabrication forum. My DD is a fully built 02 GMC Sonoma dezert bomber), among others. I think it completely depends on the forum as to what it takes to accept new members. Some communities will welcome people right away, no questions asked. I've noticed that most forums that are this accepting are based on a specific vehicle make or model. Forums that seem to be based on a wider subject (such as hot rods), seem to be less accepting of new members right off the bat, but grow a stronger community over time due to this. Either way is just fine and has its +/-'s.

But I've gotta say, since picking up my 51 Plym, I've listened more than I've talked, but I've still asked stupid questions. I got a great welcome, tons of information, and loads of help on my plym so far, so I say whatever is going on at the HAMB right now, it's doing just fine.

22. brpowel4

brpowel4

i second the reading part. i spent about 9 months on this site searching and reading post. I lurk mostly now and still search for everything before posting a question.

i haven't been around long but i wouldn't say we are losing anybody. with anything, fads come and go but they always go back to their roots. new generation will discover\rediscover what traditional is.

i'm about half way through my build thanks to the HAMB!

Bryan

23. ahhhhhhhh yes... i remember my first post on the HAMB like it was yesterday...

24. palepainter

palepainter

I think I have been a FNG for 4 years hear just sitting back and listening and learning when and where I can. Im no young pup either. So I see alot of stupid shit tossed from both sides of the fence. Respect is a tough thing to earn. I know alot of old timers who would give ya the shirt off their back if your heart and head are in the right place, I also know a few that would tell ya to keep the hell out of their way. Just an observation and reason to post one more time..Sincerly...A 43 year old..FNG "Nade Inspector"...member for 4 years.

25. 2-TONED

2-TONED

yaaawwwwwwn i think im tired now.
    i feel pretty good
    cause ive never given any shit to any new guys or anyone else for that matter! ------ its the older members that quit posting because of all the BS that i miss!

26. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

decker, that is some funny shit.

27. scrambled beezer

scrambled beezer
    from sc

Hot rodding will never die, just like rock an roll....

The internet has just made things easier to find parts, rip people off, get ripped off, and get your chain jerked by whoever is on the other end.

Back in the day you had to know a chain of people who might know somebody out there that had a line on the one part you wanted from model "X" year "Y", thenyou had to make a pilgrimage to where that part might be, just to find that it was half buried in a field and that half is dust.

If during your build you ran into a problem you figured it out. No instructions, just slow learning.

Now you just use a search engine, or post up on a board, and that is the first thing some people will do because it is the path of least resistance. Some folks don't even take the step of trying to figure it out for themselves.

So they get flamed, especially if they are new to the board.

28. bigolds

bigolds

Do they taste like chicken!!!!!

29. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

That is a very good observation. Figuring things out is becoming a lost art. Every thing you do has a learning curve, and there really isn't any way to cheat that. There are many people who will give you the shirt off their back, me included, but in some cases it does a person better to be prodded to the light so they can do for themselves. I don't consider it unfirendly, just part of someone REALLY helping me. The thinking skills you learn from not being hand fed are the real treasure here. If I built something that I thought was great, and one of the old schoolers said rethink it, its not safe I would. I wouldn't get pissy. They are giving me the treasure that hot rodding is all about. Understanding a problem, fixing a problem.

And in the HAMB clubhouse, bring your own tools. My Snap On stuff is expensive and I break it enough myself. But as Nads says "have a seat, yammer on" Sometimes a little tough love is needed in the hobby and I am all for it. Bust some knuckles first, and when you get stuck ask a clear question. You will get all of the respect in the world for that.

30. teisco

teisco

Yeah the door thing hooked alot of you jerks. Yeah no respect, just like Rodney. I got several emails from older guys telling me they feel the same way, why is that? This thread alone should tell you something is not right here.

You guys living the life through your computers need to get out more. I still cruise First Ave on Saturday nights with some guys I went to school with in the 50's. We stop and chat with tuners and rocket bikers and we all get along and we all appreciate each others rides and ideas. We have to get along with all the younger guys and try to open up to their ideas and ways, after all, they will be rodding long after we are gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.