Register now to get rid of these ads!

We're loosing the younger generation !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like.

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

Perfectly said,and I too admit to less than worthy posts to start, but now "I Get It". I think some of the problem with the newbies is the terminology they use or are used to, it just doesn't jive with the guys who have been here a long time.That being said it also "weeds" out the types who really aren't welcome here.

3. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Very..very nice..!

4. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

agreed, I had Pete & Jakes build my frame cause i wanna be able to drive it and in all honesty i dont trust my fab skills yet :p

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Looking back at my own first few posts, I too now 'get it.'

Hell, I can honest say that I was reformed by the HAMB. I was looking to 'cobble' something together using a donor car I had more or less just to get something on the road. However, I got my spankings, ranted a bit, but in the end.... I learned!

I mean, I was contemplating a Tbucket with a 3.8/auto out of an '89 Cougar, and using the IRS under it! Looking back, I needed to be spanked and smacked!

However, everyone here will 'do what he wants to do' regardless of the traditional mandate stipulates. Are disc brakes on an "A" traditional? No, but I'm going to run'em anyway. I may employ one of the cover ideas I've seen here recently, as I do like that idea.

In this world we everyone's feelings are valued, and even if you are dead assed wrong, you are still somewhat right, people's feelings get hurt. If I wanted to live a 'touchy-feely' life, I'd still be married to my psycho ex-wife. Most guys say their ex's are crazy, I've got commitment papers on her! That's a different story, but hell, if I don't like something, I'll tell you. Especially if you ask my opinion about it.

As another example, there was that post yesteday (I think) about the guy who used an aluminum buick brake drum as an air cleaner cover. There were many comments on it, but most of them were of the same 'type' I would give. Essentially, I like it, but wouldn't have it on my car.

If you don't want to get bad opinions, don't ask what people think.

NOTE: I apologize for my posts being so long. As a result of sitting on my ass in the USAF for several years, I learned to type at around 55-60 words per minute corrected. Now, I type almost as fast as I can think!

6. That right there is what it's about, I gave one of the Canadian guy's son a 30 minute ride in my car yesterday leaving Waterdown on the way to Dave's. This kid is all about S-10's and big stereos but he had a new impression on things after the ride. His dad is more of a custom big car kind of guy, never been in a open little car with power. He actually was talking to his dad about building one later that night.

7. 46mopar

46mopar

Now your spanking machine is going to be Flathead powered right? A real traditional ass whipping machine. That'll learn the newbies

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I'm part of the younger generation... 18 years old.

I've found more and more people my age have 1 issue that separates them from the older generation. They are afraid to modify their cars... I'm not saying that they won't put on exhaust or headers or whatever else but they won't cut into a car. They won't fabricate a part for their car or really cut into anything. It just seems like the older guys had no problem cutting and fabricating and making anything work with whatever they had...

9. No way man. SBC all the way.
    I wanna raise some welts, not tickle 'em...:D

JOE:cool:

10. i am a fng...at age 51.....didn't read alot before i joined...was lead here by Madog, and my love for fiat topolino's....he told me if i was into the car he just scored, i should come here...i probably piss alot of older guys off here with all my constant posting about fiats...sorry....not really.......if i hadn't joined the HAMB , then i would be waiting for my fiberglass topo to be cast right now...but instead i found my steel body thru a lead from here....been litely flamed, so what..but i'm 51 yo...these younger guys are likely to say "FUCK YOU OLD DUDES" and not come back...i train under 31 year old guys everyday at work, teachin em how to be better at fixing the semi's that roll into our truck stop each day...and they don't want any flak any more then you did when you was young....i love the HAMB, haven't joined the ALLIANCE yet cause i don't want my HAMB firewall tag to say "vswv8""stands for v..ega....s..tation...w..agon...v-8...want my topo and HAMB handle to be true HAMB....yeah i still have my blown 400 sbc 72 vega wagon, settin next to the topo...which is shouldered by the wifes 84 944 Porsche project on the other side...................
    POINT BEING, this place is scarey as all hell to all the FNG'S...just a matter of wiether or not they say fuck the HAMB and split....so iguess it's up to all the "OLD HAMB DUDES" to figure out if they want to REALLY BE ....
    Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide.....MARK, LOOKING FOR A BETTER HAMB HANDLE.......

11. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I would suggest, as a recent graduate myself, that while in school you should just be resourceful; you will accomplish alot. Not saying that you arent.

My point is that it may require you to think outside the traditional box to accomplish the task at hand. Thats how the original hotrod generations did it.It works. Rework whatever down the road when you have the time or funds.

I personally know of a dozen people here that have built a car with the most traditional intentions possible, but censor the other 10% of the build on this board for fear of ridicule.
    Sad

12. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

maybe these kids should just grow a pair...i mean a lot of guys on here are way cooler than me but im not crying about it....

13. 46mopar

46mopar

NOOOOO. I'll find you a early HEMI you can't SBC it.

14. Hell . . . if that is the case, I'll throw in a Potvin 3/8s cam . . . I can just hear the "rump rump rump" as it idles and smacks their asses. Maybe even throw in a Harman-Collins mag . . . put some "spark" into em . . .

15. Funny, there are things done / built on here by the "traditionalists" that don't jive with the purpose of this board either... but yet those are the same guys that blast someone for liking what they term a "rat rod".

You know what gets me is the guy / gal that has made it to "grenade inspector" after two months on the board and chimes into razz a FNG - just to be cool I guess.

Hate to tell ya all, but we are all FNGs, 'cause this hobby is always changing.

Unless you where born in the late twenties you are an FNG. Don't let the "title" under your avatar go to your head...

16. I know I could learn a thing or two from the FNGs. Case in point:
    Nice ride!

17. btbsandman

btbsandman

Amen....

18. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

14 years, I'm not 'lost' yet, and I'm never going back..
    (to reading ol skool rodz.. Yeah, I bought one or two, look where I am now.)

The real reason I didn't do my math homework Thursday night? Too busy with carbs..

19. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I am one of the younger generation. 22, but the ARMY teaches you when and when not to talk.

I heard my grandmother say something the other day that kinda sorta makes sence to this topic. "How can a parent be upset that there kids are misbehaving when they dont TEACH them whats wright and wrong."

And the ARMY has a rule for this also. You cannot hold a soldier to a standard that he has not been taught. (the soldier is not wrong until they have been taught. then they are held to that standard)

heres me and grandma today goin for a quick spin. Good thing I put the doors suicide otherwise she woulda never gotten in or out. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. That's a really nice photo! Keep 'em coming.

21. Toqwik

Toqwik

How did grandma like her ride?

22. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

She loved it! I hit the throttle a little(seriously, about 1/4 pedal) comming back through the park and grandma laughed and said it took her breath away. When she first saw it she asked "Whered the rest of it go?"

I found out she was born in 1932, Cool huh?

23. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I bet Grandma loved the ride!

I wish my Grandpap was still around to enjoy my RPU... rather "OUR" RPU (since he was the one that gave it to me). Been 21 years, and I still miss him.

24. Now that right there is a little funny !!

25. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

not true...im only 25 and ive been into hot rods and customs since i was 12. every car ive owned that was a old car has been a custom..i have a few friends who are new at this and will be around for a long time....

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm one of them old new guys here. When I saw this thread I thought it mightbe about kids being more interested in imports than being driven off this board. Reading through I was reminded of what a teacher said years ago when a student said "This might seem a stupid question." The teachers reply was "No question is stupid if you don't know the answer." If someone comes on asking about how to get a rust patina on his car remember its just a fashion. Scallops, chrome reversed rims et al, came and went. So will the rusty patina thing. Before you flame me I ride a bike. I don't give a shit what you say about me. I race a 48 year old Norton at El Mirage and Bonneville and I see the same thing at the meets. A 50 year old guy will stop and talk about the Norton he had as a kid. A 25 year old will walk by look at it as if it just landed from outer space. If hot rodding is to survive and grow you need youth. Even if they are stupid.

27. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I am also a FNG, i had one post one here and got my ass ripped, but now I know why. I love cars as much as the next guy, i have a 57 chevy and 51 ford f1. I know some on her might not think they are"cool" but to each his own and they are still classics. I am 37 and cant beleive some of the posts on here by people on here with nothing better to do than hang out on the keyboard and bash FNG's.
    What i am trying to say is just make sure you are actually "teaching" the FNG than just being an ass.

28. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Younger generation.. Yes your loosing some but not all.. Many of my buddies think i am crazy for doing what im doing to my caddy they say i could have a honda or a mini truck with a big sterreo in it for how much im going to spend.. But they dont have the same passion for older cars as I do.. Many of you on here know of me im 17 buildin a 54 Cadillac.. And as for the part about the shops turning us younger teens away they do it alot many people dont think im seriouz but I am.. I do all my own work and do research on alot.. Rite now im in the process of building my 350 for my cadillac and going to start rebuilding my 302 heads i just picked up today.. But you cant say your loosing all of the generation im in.. There are lots that are into it but cant afford it at this age, and with the economy the way it is they wont hire us teens in my area.. Been trying for 4 months to get a job and nothing.. So the trick is you "older" rodders have to take some of us under your wing and show us the tips and tricks so that we can pass them on to generations after..

29. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

the way i see it at 19, with a lot of friends mostly the ones in the club being all over the age of 50, advice is something i need a good deal of. i mean yeah you can have a good knowlage of cars and yet if its your first time actually building one your knee deep in the creek. and rather then bother my buddies every 5 minutes if im lost on something that there are, (i think 54,000 was the number), that also might ahave an idea its a very useful tool this site. And i'll say it that Older cars have a strong place in my heart, theres not much im actually GOOD at, but the first thing i learned how to work on was my dads fenderless 34' ford. a bit more street ten hot rod, but it was a start.
    And yeah, i've been bashed, i was told by a guy for having red rims and primer on my 49 F-1, which i didnt even paint it that way, that i was a dumb shit kid and should hand the keys to someone better.
    now with stuff like that, most people would want to go to a hobby that better excepts stuff like that, but you just need to know, people are not always going to like the exact thing you do, that is just how things are.

30. been flamed a handful of times and fucking deserved it! the people that feel the crowd is to rough have no clue they just visited the "holy grail" of traditional rodding. they act like they were kicked in the balls and left but had really only been "bitch slapped and the sting from that goes away quickly.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.