Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. falconizer , do you know that aussie falcons now have a factory turbo motor? they kind of embarass most v8's we have, wonder if that would fit?

2. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

ghostcruiser,thanks for the heads up! Would it be possible to get rid of the locking mechanism altogether? With no door handles, it seems that if the doors are shut they are as good as locked. if the battery goes dead, or I have some other problems, I can unlock the rear window and roll it down and crawl in through the tailgate.

Oh yea, I know about those motors! They are awesome. They are hard to come by out of a wrecked car, and are quite expensive as of yet.
    I am sure that it will fit though. Just about anything can be made to fit. It all depends on how much surgery you are willing to do...:D

3. of course, i want to keep mine pre cross flow , later ,with a 2V head maybe a turbo.

4. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

That's the problem, bro...I thought the same thing, but the locking cam is built in such a way, that if you cut or file it off or down, the star wheel WILL NOT engage and lock...it will just spin endlessly (i.e., the doors will not latch, and you WILL fall out at highway speeds!:eek:)...I'm tellin' ya, you need to take that sucker out and look at it: simple design, complicated as hell to bypass!

Oh, and I solved the "locked-out by dead battery" issue by replacing the front vent window with 1/4" plexiglass...I drilled a 3/4" hole in the edge, and put in a standard, 3-dollar file cabinet lock and key tumbler....now, all I have to do is open the vent window with the key, and I can access the interior handle...(make sure you leave the stock vent window lock in the "up" position!:D) I'll post a pic!
    Rob

5. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Simple, but effective...:)

[​IMG]

Rob

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

nice.
    i have yet to dig out my door locks and examine them.
    i was hoping that the door poppers and power windows were going to be rather painless... so far, nothing on this car has been easy.:eek:

i have seen shaved roundbodies out there, so it seems that it can be done. maybe, i'll go with a completely different latch system...
    hmmmmm...

7. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Holy crap! It actually will turn now!
    I went ahead and dove into the control arm issue not knowing what I was doing or what the result would be. It came out killer!:D
    The front tires tuck nicely inside the fenders, and I can steer it even with it all the way aired down. There is no apparent binding either. I will have to weld them up proper, plate them and box them, and I also want to make them serviceable, so that I don't have to buy new arms when the bushings or ball joints wear out.

first, I Squared the arms by using some metal shims under them and set up a sawhorse with a laser level pointing straight down.
    [​IMG]
    I took out 1 1/2 inches.

After I taped them I sprayed them with primer and just cut and ground away all the gray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    they actually lined up pretty well. It shouldn't be much of a problem to weld them up and brace them really solid.
    [​IMG]

For only taking out 1 1/2 inches, it sure sits back quite a bit farther!
    Combine that with that Fatman dropped spindles, and everything is sitting really nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will probably end up making an adjustable strut Rod, so there won't be any binding as the airbag goes through its cycle.

...and there goes a whole Saturday:D

8. pikesan99

pikesan99

Falconizer is an inspiration to the Falcon owners and true home builders out there. You're really doing an amazing job with that wagon!
    I'm lagging pretty far behind because I've shifted gears and doing stuff on my Roadster since I don't want to drive it to our annual Goodguys show looking exactly like it did last year.

But, I've been working on the Falcon and posting the progress in my blog:
    http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/category/how-to/home-built/63-ford-falcon-project/
    That's the link to all the blogs. The new ones are at the top, so start at the bottom if you'd like to take a look.

Finally, if anyone's looking for Falcon parts, please contact me. My dad's friend is looking to sell a warehouse full of 60's parts, mostly FALCON. He's been working for the last few months trying to catalog everything. Let me know.

9. eric

eric

:eek:
    Falconizer, your a mad man dude!! great progress on your falcon dude!!

10. Tiger II

Tiger II

260 inch Pro-charged drag car coming along in Bellevue, WA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

garbonzopyz, thanks for sharing. Looks like it's coming along nicely. What color is that? looks bitchin'. the comets have much nicer grills than their cheaper cousins...

12. Muttley

Muttley

So, a month and a half later I finally did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 2tall

2tall

OK folks, dumb question time.

As mentioned before, I'm fitting a UK spec 2 litre Pinto and autobox into my 60 wagon. The pinto sump has the deep section at the back which means that it will foul on this crossmember..

[​IMG]

Looking at the crossmember and the way it is mountd it is bolted in with 3 bolts either side..

[​IMG]

Now, I'm thinking that if I could just unbolt it and turn it through 180 degrees and bolt it in from the other side then it would probably clear the sump. It would also move the motor mounts forward which I need to do to move the motor forward.

It looks like a very simple solution. Anyone have any reasons why I can't do this? Am I just looking for a simple solution that isn't possible?

14. That there's a strange crossmember, AKA "belly bar". Here's what the American 6-cyl Falcon ones look like. If one will help you, I'll give it to you if you pay the shipping. But, it might be better to make your own, or just not have one. I don't have one on my car.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

15. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

I don't have one, either...I had to remove it to install the 302 V-8....I understand you can add the aftermarket Monte Carlo (?) bar across the upper portion of the engine bay for stability, once the engine is installed.
    Rob

16. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

guess i'll jump in here with my new project a 60 falcon. Has mustang rear wheel openings and wells put in to fit bigger tires and a 9 inch rear

[​IMG]

going to cut up this nice engine compartment to put a straight axle and a Y block 292 which im rebuilding now. Hopefully down the road a McCullouh supercharger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ybu22z

ybu22z

2tall,... is the sump fully symetrical - and is the base of the engine where the sump mates up all flat? If so... then simply dropping through 180deg would be easiest. If not symetric, but it would definately fit, have the sump cut and shut by cutting off the bowl and rotate it and re-weld: this moves the bowl and still leaves the sump bolt holes all fine and good. You will likely need to relocate the oil pickup to suit - lengthening or shorting the tube down to the pickup.

18. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

tootall,
    be careful not to step on that sway bar,you may snap it;).
    I would be interested to see photos of your idea. Flipping it backwards is free. Try it, and see where everything winds up. Remember though, if you move the motor forward, it moves the trans forward, and you will likely have a transmission mount to deal with, and need a longer drive shaft.
    Fordsteel, dig the project! Nothing wrong with cutting up an engine bay in my opinion... love the Y-block idea. I don't think I've ever seen one in a falcon.

19. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

speaking of cutting up an engine bay...
    Here's what we did saturday morning, making room for the front airbags.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's still pretty tight with the bag. better than cutting out too much!:)

20. ybu22z

ybu22z

This link might be of interest for folks who havn'tseen it yet. Aussie mob making some interesting bits for Falcons, mustangs, etc.
    http://www.rrs-online.com/index.php
    Hope its not a repost... the search engine gave me some error describing cones and puppies.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  21. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Finishing up the rear suspension... I kind of need to get the hard parts for my diff out of the guy's shop, so I need to finish up the housing and get all the welding done, so I can powdercoat and assemble it. I finished the final mounts for the upper bag mount. It was time to commit.
    So, next is the pan hard Rod. I got all the heim joints and DOM tubing, and finished the axle side of the mount. (I hope)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else got any bird projects rolling?
    peace

22. Erose999

Erose999
    from Athens GA

Just posted my project in the "new member introductions" thread. I've got a '62 that I've swapped a 200 six and a C4 auto into. I need to get some current pics to post here. Its still rough but its coming along well. This thread has given me a lot of inspiration.:)

23. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Man I can't wait to see this ride done.Been following your updates and man you are doing one hell of a job! :cool:

24. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words.

25. I have a '62 2dr and a '64 H/T, both projects, and a '65 H/T, all are For Sale. Will be listed in the classifieds soon.

26. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What engine & trans are you running? Checked this thread and your blog...couldn't find any info.

27. Erose999

Erose999
    from Athens GA

That looks like a late model OHC crossflow six from Australia with an AOD trans.

28. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

erose999 is correct. it is from an EA falcon. here is a more current pic with the induction "finished". still have to make the throttle linkage for the sideways carb...
    [​IMG]

29. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

My falcons going slow with being away at school but i did get a nice set of old torque thrusts 4.5 inch wide off a fellow hamber really will look good this spring when the straight axle go's in
    [​IMG]

30. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Mine did.. at a car show. Put it out with beer. Baked beer with gasoline smells pretty good.

- Joe