Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy 2 door find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rodz R Us, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I had been seeing this 54 Chevy sitting behind this house for about ten plus years, rumor had it that the old man restoring the car had passed away and the family pushed it outside. Back then, car had fresh clear coated paint, and a 6 cyl. engine rebuild. Through the years, the grass would get so high during the summer all you could see was the roof, all the windows were out of the car, and it was seeing all the elements the weather could throw at it. About five years ago, the house burned, and the family moved off, leaving the car behind. Several months ago, the land came up for sale, and the family, getting tired of calls about selling the car, had it hauled off for junk. I had taken off work the Friday before Labor Day, and upon returning to work on the Tues. after,.....bam...there it was, sitting on the grounds at the shop waiting to be processed and crushed. Knowing about what it weighed, and what they paid across the scales, I offered 400.00, bought it, and had a roll back carry it home. I cleaned out years of crap, pressure washed several years of shitt off of it, and looked at what I had. Both lower doors inner and outer are gonna need replaced from being soft, and the floors from front to rear. It is currently in the shop getting that done as I type, then the next on the agenda will be to chop the top. I will start posting pics as the process goes on, and I'm sure I will learn from all my mistakes. I've chopped several 67-72 Chevy Truck cabs, but never a car. I guess you have to start somewhere....If you have any info to share on chopping a 49-54 Chevy 2 door, let me know. I'll be using a back glass from a Shoebox to get rid of the wrap around....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. AD

AD

i'll buy that wrap around glass from you

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

a '54 chevy is always a good choice for a kustom, nice save!!

4. Looks like a great start!

5. Thumper

Thumper

Great save !

6. Keith English

Keith English

did you happen to get the stainless trim with it? It looks like a great start, i love the 53/54's. will make a good mild cudtom.

7. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

I'm happy that you were able to save it, and I'm glad that it will be back on the road again someday.

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

Right on! Cool color too....Your rear tire may need to be balanced...:D

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Always amazing when heirs get a restoration project and throw it away. Shows so little respect for what their loved one, well, loved.

10. Congrats on the find! It looks like it's a great start for a project. I just got a '54 2 dr. last spring that I am working on as well..I've seen a few Chevy's(a'54 and a '50's) just sitting in yards like this..I always wonder if its possible to go get them. I guess I'm afraid of being greeted by a shotgun or an owner who says they will "never sale" the car only to let it sit and rot for many more years until some other hopeless young hotrodder comes along and asks the same question again~Mojo

11. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

Here's my brothers 54 chevy 150 with a 49 chevy rear window. Still a work in progress...

Attached Files:

12. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Nice! I hope you follow this up with alot of progress shots.

13. Paint looks good enough with some care you might be able to blend it on the lower doors and save the rest of it. I'm amazed the people didn't sell it to someone.

14. How about brainstorming a two-tone color that you can paint the bottom of the doors once the patchwork is done. You can use a unique side trim as the dividing line. Just a thought.

Nice save!

15. roddinron

roddinron

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing is awesome! It'll be nice to show that family when your finished that the cars is in good hands and will continue on.

17. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yeah, nice save! I vote against the shoebox window.. I have 49 chevy coupe in mine, flows WAY better in my opinion.. Keep us posted..

18. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

yeah i agree leave it all chevy.. thats a great find...it amazes me how many people do not care about vintage or classic cars... how can u send something that cool to the crusher

19. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

wow thats awesome. People just are dumb..they have no clue about things. I bet all they worry about is getting starbucks, gasing up the SUV and watching Fox News! What an awesome find, can't wait to see it when its done.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

21. way to go dude! see if you can get it started.

22. Tony

Tony

Nice save for sure!
    I did a tech post a couple years ago when i chopped my 53 using a shoebox backlite....It's in the tech archive if your interested..

Tony

23. Tin Can

Tin Can

Nice save, Looks like a nice start.

24. 6tall

6tall

Am I the only one who likes those things unchopped ? By the way, great score .... like the colour combo, too.

25. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

The way you see it in the pic., is pretty much the way I got it. I found some of the side trim, and the front bumper vailance under years of leaves and garbage. Motor was stuck up, but I pulled the head and got to rocking it back and fourth while in third gear, and it broke loose. I'm going to have the head gone through and put it back on and see what happens. The only thing missing was the carb., I would buy one from someone if you have one laying around, or you can donate it to the cause, cause I need one. Paint looks good in the pic., but a bunch of the clear has started coming off, and a couple dings from rocks probally by a sling shot or two. I have no interior to start with, so if you have any parts laying around, keep me in mind.

26. roddinron

roddinron

Good excuse to upgrade, get a cheap 1v to 2v adapter (I got one from summit), and find a later 2V, cheap and easy upgrade. Then split the ex manifold.

27. Cruiser

Cruiser

Very cool save...........If, you knew about it for ten years why didn't you try for it earlier? Just wondering ! :confused: It'll make a cool cruiser...............

CRUISER :cool:

28. Cool car bro.....

.....I had a buncha 53-54 parts about 4 months ago...... I had that stuff for about 2 years in my back yard and decided it was time for it to go, so it went to the scrap yard...... I know I still have 2 back glasses if you need one.....or two ....... I did have all the trim and some interior parts..... I'll look to see what I have left....

29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Nice get Shawn! How much chop? You should post some profile shots and have the photoshop magicians play with it. I'm always amazed with what they dream up.

30. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I chopped my 53 and used a 50 fleetline rear window flows good to