Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hot Rod VW Beetle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peace love & hot rods, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

probably because at one time or another they got beat by one!!:D:D

3. daddio211

daddio211

In my 37 years I've never wanted a bug until I saw this one. I wouldn't drive it to a rod run, but it'd be a blast cruisin' in! Too freakin' cool!

4. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Minibikes,motorcycles,boats,old houses,meat-smokers,airplanes,OT threads at every turn.....
    The HAMB,the site for every poor lost soul ?

Is "Jiffy Pop" traditional?
    Can we have caramel too?

Tongue in cheek...

5. canadianzed

canadianzed

not for everyone but isn't that what it is what it is all about?
    [​IMG]

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

talking about cars here, bugs have been around for more then 50 years, there have been many hot rods built from them,they've earned their place as rods in my book. not because someone says they are,because so many have been built and they have stood the test of time.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i would love to be able to drive that thing,but i think it's too short for me to fit. I would need a gourney bubble

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont think shes coming back, she probably joined that bug site..
    hey you single guys you might have lost your chance to Pm her.
    those hippy girls are pretty cool, and one that thinks Hot Rod..waaay cool..

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Back in the early/mid 70's I saw one with a fiberglass front-end "37 ford" style that had been back-halfed into a P/U with the original VW mill in the bed.

I'v always wanted to do something similar, except with a caddy 500 FWD transaxle from an Eldo in the rear... THAT would be cool and hot-rodding at it's best IMHO

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

get to it i want to see pictures of this!!:) I saw a VW thing with a big block in the early eighties, complete bad ass car, haven't seen one since,they are so dam ugly they make good rods. reminded me of a life size hot wheels car.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I guess it's just my old age, but this sure looks like a Hot Rod to me...

[​IMG]

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

I hope this isn't your first try at building a hot rod of some sort, if your new at this your opening a big can of worms.

CRUISER :cool:

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

those VW's would make good parts cars for a real hot rod. :eek:

14. Bill H.

Bill H.

well,

You guys probably ran her off.

Anyway. I got mine ON storage for a future project.[​IMG]
    Bh

15. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

world of wheels 2008 006.jpg Heres one we built in 07 good luck w/tunnelram

world of wheels 2008 012.jpg

2008_0519v8bug0010.jpg

2008_0519v8bug0012.jpg

2008_0519v8bug0014.jpg

16. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

what this is, is absolutely bad ass... I remember it being for sale on thesamba.... and if I had the cash, it would have been in my garage right now...

It would need windows and some low gloss light green.... and maybe a F&$@ your "Hot Rod" sticker......

17. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Where's Jim Sibley? He's got a ton of VW experience, very wild rides.

18. Abomination

Abomination

That WOULD be pretty cool, actually. :D

~Jason

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Littleman, you could only get into the 12's in a bug with a 427? Must have kept the stock wheels and tires and been waving as you crossed the finish line. I would expect you could have gotten better than that with even a mild 427. I am no 1/4 mile expert, but just thinking a bug with a 427 should maybe do better than that, but could be wrong as usual.

20. much loooove to all the lovers out there. i really do appreciate your comment. because no matter what the haters say, i am going to try with every fiber in my being to make this a rod, and a HOT one at that. i gotta beat my man's '52 abomination outta the water.
    i REALLY appreciate every one commenting to me. no matter the love or hate, it builds stronger bones. no matter the other sites out there - i believe this one is the best for information (even if its rather hateful - because it brings me back to reality).

btw i didnt leave... i just went out and celebrated this wonderful day.

anyway, i really am excited to be apart of this organization.. ill be at the hunnert car.. pm me if you wanna chat and pm me if youll be at the hunnert car (we will be looking for bugs and taking measurements!!)

much love to EVERYONE!!
    d

21. ooooo... btw it is my specialty to open a can of worms...

thank you for quoting what i say every time i jump in to a new project - whether it is a car, or school, or a MAN!! ;)

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Uh, ok. We could all probably use a little more peace and love for sure, but my prediction is....oh well, whatever, good luck around here. If you can build a respectable hot rod, you'll probably be ok. Otherwise, there might be some more bone strengthening to come. Just a little friendly advice; don't mention anything related to tree hugging/saving the environment kind of stuff or you'll likely be attacked like a piece of stake in the middle of a wolfpack. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  23. duct-tape

duct-tape
    from milwaukee

don't let anyone here tell you what is cool or what not to build. It would appear as though they have something against not-american cars

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

a bunch of people do, even though they've been being built into rods as long as the traditional rods, on your project bug, built it traditional, build it bad ass, and be proud of it and the work you put into it. too many catagories of whats what now a days.

25. Keep us updated and post lots of build updates and pics along the way. It'll piss off the nay sayers and encourage your faithful fans.

Oh yeah, you can't do it , it cant be done, you shouldn't even try, it's not traditional and you should go buy a Miata. Now get out in the garage and kick this little VW's ass. I mean peacefully and lovingly of course. Measurements, you don't need no stinking measurements, you need a sawsall. BTW, I'm glad you don't scare off, more proof you're the woman for the job. Good luck.

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Doesn't ALGON have a front engined, drag bug from the 60's?

PM him & ask him for a couple of photos. You can take measurements off of them.

27. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Do it!!!! theres NOTHING better than PEACE, LOVE, and HITLER!!!! Doesnt that just flow off the tounge smoothly? I love VWs but theres Nothing peaceful about them! The KDF wagon (later became the "bug" thanks to Ferdinand Porsche) were origionaly invented for WAR! I have done tons of book reports on this topic...its funny to see how people view this car as a peace symbol! I laugh every time I see it....so go build it and make it a bad ass war machine! NOT A BUG of course.....but here is one(of many) i built...and it hauled ass!!!!! I miss this car.

Attached Files:

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's only because this is America and America is so huge that we have a split, and because of that there are thousands of forums dedicated to little niches. I love Volkswagens but I understand why they're not on the HAMB so much, haveing said that we welcome them at our car show, pre 64 though.

There's some examples on this thread that make me drool.

29. Algon

Algon

If it would be of any use, I would be glad to help answer any questions you might have...

I'm not sure how far you plan to go with how correct the car looks or if you just want a V8 and a nose high car like most. I agree with the Beetle body on a basic T bucket chassis theory. There are many that have been on cut down 55-57 Chevy frames, S-10s, Datsun or Chevy Luv trucks but it really needs a good tube or vintage frame for strength and general appearance. Gene Mori's first car was built on a Willys frame and there is no reason you couldn't adapt most any 30's frame to it.

The question is, are you going to run fenders? Because if you do, many T bucket and factory frames would need narrowed to keep the tires under the fenders while allowing for clearance for them to turn. An Anglia frame would be my pick for a close correct donor and so many are ProStreeted, you may find one cheap.

There is no difference to this than any other V8 straight axle project. The only issue is space and without having the engine pushed dangerously forward the car will be a two seater. You can fit in any V8 with room to spare depending on your choice in steering and seating position. One cool thing is that the body is self supporting so if you only cut out what is necessary to clear the engine and frame no body jig is really needed.

In spite of my project, the fact I like VW's and I think many of the cars pictured are really cool, I still don't and never will consider Volksrods as traditional Hotrods. The only exception being the home built nature of some of them. While V8 Altered and Gas class VW powered Beetles are a part of American hotrod history as much as any car, a black primered 70's Beetle with an I beam and red Kelsey Hayes wires is a modern click that has nothing to do with anything traditional.

It never happened and it makes no sense as far as the Hotrod go faster point of things, much less for the concept of a timeline. Hotrodding is upgrading something to work better not dressing up an underpowered car to look like something its not. Its custom but its not what I call a hotrod.

30. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    Porsche 12, 1931 was the first prototype for the bug. Designed by Ferdinand Porsche with some influence by Tatra designer Hans Ledwinka
    [​IMG]
    1938 Ad for the KDF
    The KDF (strenght through Joy) was the Bug as we know it

The Kubelwagen decsended from the original KDF(BUG)
    [​IMG]
    Several years later the Type 62
    Type 62: Prototype Kübelwagen, constructed from May 15, 1938; preproduction models (1939) field tested in the invasion of Poland

Hitler came to power in 1933.

If I remember..uh..the sixties were tough to remember..
    The peace sign just happened to fit quite well on the front of the Transporter..
    The big VW in the circle was easily changed to the peace sign..as were the Mercedes tri-star. Hippie vans sprouted symbols..which had been around due to the anti-VeitNam War (er..Police Action) movement..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.