Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a 54 stude pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nschrec, Sep 18, 2008.

1. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

Well the deal was finally struck. My wifes grandma finally sold me their stude pickup after 3 years of price jumping. It is a running and driving truck and am I pretty excited to make it my own. I have a few thoughts on what I want to do, mild custom. Lower it, put some nice wheels and tires on it, and then paint. I am thinking sky blue with either white scallops or a modest flame job. Is this something that all yall photoshoppers could pull off to get an idea on what it would look like. Wells here are the pictures

Attached Files:

2. SWEET! I love those years Studes!! Is it a flathead engine??

3. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Looks like a nice truck, there are a lot of Stude people on here use the search button and type in stude truck you should find quite a few threads on them.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

to do a decent photoshop, you're gonna need a lil larger photo, and a straight side shot. makes it easier to pull off.

FWIW, i really dig stude PUs, and lookin forward to seein what you do with it.

5. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

thanks guys, I am looking forward to it. Should be a fun little truck.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like a pretty nice truck to start with and good luck with it. It is a '53 or earlier though, not a '54 as you can tell by the split windshield and also the front grill. It might have been bought and first registered in '54 though and might say that on the title. But, it is definitely at latest a '53 and it is a 1/2 ton and will be either a 2R5 model if it has the smaller Champ flathead 6 motor or might be a 2R6 if it has the larger Commander flathead 6. Any of the later Stude V8's are pretty much an easy bolt in if you want, but will likely require different bellhousings and trans. as there are smaller differences between the motors and require different bellhousings and input shafts, etc. Even the 6's are different from one another in that dept. too. But, anyway good luck and have fun with it.

7. Tony

Tony

Cool truck!
    remind's me of the one in the movie 'Hot Rod'...

8. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

well thats good to know stude. It does have a v8 but i am not sure what it is though. I will get a pic of the engine so maybe someone can identify it.

9. 53chieftian

53chieftian

That truck and several cars have been 4 sale in that dudes front yard for a loooonnnnggggggg time! Its only about 18 miles from me! Nice to see one of them get a good home!

10. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

i know they have been for sale forever. my wifes grandma just thinks they are worth the price of gold and she burns the bridges of anyone who tries to help her sell them.

11. 53chieftian

53chieftian

Is it just her there? I swear I see some dude wandering around from time to time.

12. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

the guy you have seen is here son. he lives there as well

13. 53chieftian

53chieftian

next time i get that way i better stop in and check things out. well if he is around anyway.

14. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Keep us apprised!

15. cool truck...how about sikkens limegold with a white t & r tonneau cover, black steelies with wide whites, beauty rings, spider caps...bring her closer to mother earth and call it good

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

You need to look at photos of Bobby Green's truck for inspiration.

17. belair

belair

love those trucks.

18. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

here are some more photos for everyone. Can you tell me what engine this is? Thanks for all the good comments

Attached Files:

19. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

If it's a truck, it would be a 224 if original. It may be a replacement so check the numbers. A four speed and an R2 clone motor would be bad ass in that thing.

20. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

Very Nice

here is a pic of my 54

[​IMG]

21. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

2 more photos

Attached Files:

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like you have an early Stude 224 or 232 V8, but could possibly be a later 259 or 289. I am not as up on the Stude V8's, but pretty sure it is a Stude V8 and I think and early one as it has 4 screws per cover - the later ones had only 2.

Looks like you are missing the very hard to find radio in the dash too. Not many trucks got those. The radios aren't too hard to fine, but the kit to install them with the special grill panel, etc. are pretty hard to get. Keep an eye on ebay. They have popped up on there occasionally in the past. Otherwise figure out some other radio/plate/storage box to cover the hole maybe.

Judging by the markings on the dash and missing clutch pedal, looks like you might have an auto installed in it as well? Looks like they might have used the stock 3-on-the-tree shifter and cleverly adapted it somehow to work with the auto trans.

Good luck!

23. mzmasi

mzmasi
    from Bend, OR

Good luck with the truck. It'll be a fun project.