Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on my first subframe install....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WickedSlammy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a 54 pontiac chieftan 2 door post car, orginally had the straight 8 in it. We used a front steer 74 camaro clip with truck motor mounts to raise the engine up to correct the driveline angle. It was a very original car and we have lots of spare parts to sell if anyone needs them.

2. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

That looks sweet. You have definitely handled a welder once or twice before.

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

WoW! That's a sweet install! Do you want to come to Jersey and help me finish mine?

4. James Curl

James Curl

That is probably the best done clip that I have ever seen. You put a lot of time in planning the details of the installation. Most people do not trim the front frame members off and replace them with something that resembles the original frame, very well done. You can tell that I like it a bunch.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice job with BEAUTIFUL welds...

6. ajeepnut

ajeepnut

beautiful job, I love the gussets. What clip did you use? What year is your project??

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

What a shame another car ruined with a subframe. And you will be reminded of what you have done every time you drive it, steering straight and effortlessly, negotiating into a parking spot with one hand, and stopping quickly and safely in a straight line. :D :D :D

Nice job, Ive never done a subframe (yet) but that looks well thought out!

8. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Go to the front of the class..........!!!

9. ...nice job, keep us posted on the progress on the car.

10. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

11. Nice job! I did one, also narrowed it 3", didn't look near this good. Keep us posted on the rest of the project.

12. hoop

hoop

very nice job. I wish I could weld like that!

13. btmatt

btmatt

I really like how you finished out the front half of the clip. Might have to "rip you off" and finish mine similarly.

14. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Very nice I really like the gussets, did you tig that?Them welds are a thing of beauty.

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

JESUS! thats beautiful.
    I think I'm selling my tools, now...:(

nice work!

16. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

Wow! Thanks guys! I didnt think it was anything special to be honest. I dont go to many shows and dont advertise at all, i just hide out down at my lil shop and build shit! I would like to get into more hotrod projects but ill take on anything i think i can handle. Im in Keller which is right outside Ft Worth.

Ive been fabricating since 1996 doing chassis work, mainly air ride installs on late model trucks. Always loved old cars due to my father, always wanted a 57 2 door hardtop. Then i learned how much they cost....OUCH! This is my first real old car project this project was exciting for me. I cant TIG at all and all my welding is done with a Miller 251, just takes practice and ya really need to have someone show ya. I welded for years thinking i was ok until i had a guy show me a different technique and then i really improved

I cut the whole camaro clip off at the front because when i started messing with the bumper mounts, it just looked hacked with the camaro frame up there since i really had to butcher it to get the room i needed. The frame was also alittle different on each side so i just cut it back to where it was the same on both sides and went from there. I wish i would have used 2x5 instead of the 2x4 but oh well.

we have the complete front suspension if anybody needs it for parts. I hate to throw classic parts away that someone may need that is running the original suspension.

Here is something else im working on, 91 s10 frame im building.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  17. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

Its a 54 and i believe the clip is a 74 camaro.

18. great build! how does the camaro track width compare to the stock pontiac? whats in store out back. are you going to use the leafs or 4-bar.

19. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

I wanna say that when i measured the track width it was only off by an inch, so 1/2" per side. It was a great fit to be honest, i actually shortened the wheelbase alittle to help it turn while low. In the rear we will do a 4 link. We are going to put air ride on it and it will be laid out flat so i will have to do alot of cutting in the back. Gonna need a good size frame notch and a new driveshaft tunnel from what i can tell just by looking at it. The car is leaving for awhile but thats what next on the list.

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Jesus Christo!! Real nice work. I hope my first subframe comes out that nice, I'm in the prep stages now. When you lay dime sized tacks over each other like that, is it for looks or does it serve a purpose? When I do frames and structural stuff at work, I had been taught to run a long bead. Curious because I've seen it done quite a bit.

21. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

Well id say that it gives ya a stronger weld as you cause the puddle to widen itself everytime you pull it back into itself which increase the weld area. Also going in a straight line doesnt really let ya get the metal hot enough to fuse it together which is what you want. Running a straight line also increases your chances of totally missing the material on one side, ive seen it on factory frame welds all the time cause thats how they weld. Its def alot slower to weld it but i think its a stronger and better looking weld for sure. I dunno man, im def not an expert but every video and book ive seen or read teaches to go for this type of weld. There are a quite a few techniques.

If you have myspace i have more pics of stuff ive done here

http://www.myspace.com/therealslammy

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  22. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Thats really badass.. Its a 54 pontiac car? would that be the same fram as the 49-54 chevy cars?

23. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've seen it donw both ways, just curious as to the point of doing it this way. Very interesting. I usually make C's or circles, not just run a straight line down, I explained it wrong. Good to know, thanks.

24. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

no the 54 chevy has a bolt in front crossmember, this one does not.

25. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

Yea i use Cs when i got a gap to fill which i try to avoid at all costs! I used to weld in circles myself actually and was able to lay some nice welds with it but the push/pull def works better i think. Its all in the wrist!

26. ratster

ratster

wow!!! you know your way around a shop

27. Really nice stuff, Wicked. Now I can't wait to do mine! Damn, I wish my shop was bigger, ha.

Really good stuff.

28. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice, keep up the good work.

29. cwnrider45

cwnrider45
    from denton tx

30. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's too bad, it looks great...