Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 Oldsmobile Head light conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I am using a set of 1934 oldsmobile headlight buckets for my 34 plymouth project. Since the bulbs used in the 34 buckets were 6 volt, I need to convert the whole setup to be compatible with a 12 volt system. Should I scrap the internals and somehow rig up a housing to accept a later model pigtail and mold it into the housing? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

2. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I've had alot of looks on this question, but none of the guru's have chimmed in yet. Is this that unusual or elementary of a question? I've never done a conversion before, so I thought I'd seek the help I need from those who have. Thanks.

3. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

I don't think there are enough people out there familiar enough with what a '34 olds headlight looks like or where to start. Now if you were talking about a '34 Ford headlight, or posted detailed pictures and dimensions of yours I'm sure someone with some knowledge could tell you if there is an easy way or if those are such an odity that your only hope is to try and adapt a more common conversion into it.
    If all you care about is throwing in a 12v bulb in place of the 6v, I'd look at our Alliance vendor Restoration Supply Company www.RestorationStuff.com for some bulbs which I can damn near guarantee are an off the shelf item for them.

4. Are your reflectors any good? If so Speedway sells a halogen replacement kit. You have to remove the original bulb socket and stick theirs in. Don't get the turn signal bulb that goes with it. They can't be seen day or night.

5. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thank you for the responses. This is exactly what I needed to know. I'll do some extra research into the area. Sorry for the lack of pics.
    By the way, the reflectors are still good......So that helps.

6. W_VintageSpeedCustoms

W_VintageSpeedCustoms
    BANNED
    from Sin city

hello, do you have the 34 olds headlight stands? would you consider a trade mayube. i have a 34 olds coupe i have been looking for a set of orginal headlights. I have other buckets you might be interested in? charles

7. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Most 33 and 34 mopar headlight stands are made for headlights with a recessed mounting on the headlight housing.Are you using the original headlight stands?PlyDo used to sell aftermarket headlight stands that use comman headlights like dietz or stock early fords.I bought a set this year from them.CW Moss sells 1934 Ford headlights that do not have the Ford script on the housing or lens.They are also have halagon bulbs in them.I am not sure what the Olds headlights look like but they might be cool.We adapted halagon bulbs to my old 34 Airflow so anything can be done.We used a Ford kit from CW Moss.