Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Stand up to cancer - who have you lost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I've been donating monthly from my salary for over six years now, to Cancer Research here in the UK. I'm not even sure why I started, as I don't actually know anybody with cancer, it just seemed like a good thing to do at the time, and I've never felt the need to cancel the standing order.

I sure hope it helps somebody, somewhere, sometime though.

2. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i lost an uncle to cancer, he didnt have it long.

3. I'm Lowburban's brother, so I have the same situation going on as he stated. The 17 yr old girl was a softball player of ours, and she was like an angel to me. She showed me the things to be truly thankful for in life and what not to get bent out of shape about. I was also a pall bearer at her funeral, which was the worse thing I ever had to go through. I still think about her all the time, and how she inspired me to be a better person.

4. MLK

MLK

My mom a year ago in August 2007, to colon cancer.

My oldest son now 31, had Hodgkins when he was 23, doing great now.

I had Merkel Cell Carcinoma last winter, 2007/2008, supposedly cancer free now, but it is supposed to come back.

Thanks to everyone who contributes something (time or money) to help find cures for the various cancers that seem to touch so many of us in some way.

5. My brother-in-law felt fine, had a blod test that showed blood cancer (multiple myloma). He lived for 11 years but the kimo messed him up bad. Then he had some strokes, sucks! A couple of friends had (have, in remission) prostate cancer, found it early - GET TESTED EVERY YEAR. Sorry for everyones losses.

6. lost my dad from bowl cancer....one of the most deadly forms......if you catch it early you can recover but if your a bit late..like weeks not months it's a 3% survival rate....dad was one of the 3%.....he had a colostomy he hated but knew it had kept him alive for a further 6 0r 7 years...IBS, piles and even a regular squirty arse can mimic the symptoms.....so..GET YOUR ARSE CHECKED......

7. Slonaker

Slonaker

I was diagnosed with lymphoma at the age of 24, 3 months after getting married. I'm still alive, and still married. :)

My father-in-law has been battling his second bout with prostate cancer for almost 3 years. He is on hospice care now, and won't be around much longer. :(

8. Mopar34

Mopar34

My dad to emphysema in 1969. Other than that, several co-workers to brain/liver/lung cancer. All of which worked in the same building for 15 or more years. Co-incidence they say. I say bull shit.:mad:

I've been fighting basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers for years. Can't blame that on a building, just my stupidity and fair skin.:eek:

9. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Prick.

I lost my Dad about 3 years ago. Throat and stomach cancer. He was a decorated WW2 veteran. Cancer will take down the best of us.

10. Buddha5150

Buddha5150

Lost my Aunt Arleen from Breast Cancer, Kyle Knobe from throat cancer, I alos lost another good friend from school to lung cancer (he never smoked, got from the dust from doing body work)
    RIP Everyone - I will see you all on day.

11. pastlane

pastlane

Lost my Mom, Grandparents and two close friends. Been 8 years now that I have free and clear of both liver & lung cancer myself.

It's a terrible rat bastard disease.

12. billyt

billyt

MY mother and wife. It's all bad stuff. Congrats to all you survivors.

13. 2 bothers in-law (1 died, 1 made it), one sister in-law that made it and now my wife. We only discovered the desease at the end of June. Operation was at the end of July and her first chemo was last week. 11 more treatments to go,,,we hope.

Prognosis is good, but what a hateful fucking desease

14. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

Lost one of my best people I've ever known to brain cancer, Bill New. Hard to watch, but he never let it get him down. Lived almost 2 years after being diagnosed. Just one day didn't feel good and laid down for a nap, woke up and just wasn't the same. He beat stomach cancer about 10 years before that. First time I ever rode in a classic truck was his '57 Chevy P/U. Learned a lot of what I know now from him, truly one in a million kind of person. Miss him everyday.

My sister Laura Simmons was diagnosed with skin cancer. Had a bump on her lip, bump was caused because she bite down on her lip. Wouldn't go away, then her grandson bumped her lip with his head and the bump got worse. Went to the doctor, had a biopsy done and the bump was a tumor and grew to about the size of a large grape within 2 days of the biopsy. Cancer grew out and up instead of into her lip. Doctor said the cancer was skin cancer and was "activated" by trauma to her lip. She spent a lot of time in the sun when she was younger without sunblock and doctor said that could've caused the skin cancer. She's now cancer free and on the way to a full recovery. I was so scared to lose my sister.

My friend Pete Elizalde, being treated for cancer right now, radiation treatment. I pray everyday that it works. He's another inspiration in my life and always tells me like it is, good or bad. Doesn't sugar coat things for me. Taught me a lot of what I know today about cars and life. Bought my '59 Chevy P/U from him when I was 15.

15. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

I don't know why I am doing this but, she did not make it until our anniversary. She passed on Tuesday Sept. 16 at 7:25 pm. What the fuck????????????????? What happened to November????
    Sorry Ryan I just had to vent about this.

16. Jay71

Jay71

Oh man, Im so so sorry to here that. Just doesnt seem fair. My thoughts n prayers go out to you and your family.

17. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

My Sister when I was 13, my Dad when I was 16.....RIP i miss them both.

48 Poncho

18. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Lost my old man two years ago next Wednesday to Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer. He was 54.

19. octane

octane
    from Virginia

I'm sorry to hear of your loss FOURLUG. Wish I could offer you more than prayers from a stranger. Hang in there.

20. Abone29

Abone29

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by FOURLUG [​IMG]
    I don't know why I am doing this but, she did not make it until our anniversary. She passed on Tuesday Sept. 16 at 7:25 pm. What the fuck????????????????? What happened to November????
    Sorry Ryan I just had to vent about this

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Sincerest condolences on your loss.

21. Brundaddy

Brundaddy
    from MI

My mom in 1996, brain cancer. Messed me up. Family fell apart. Things are better and life is good again but those were some hard times.

22. tstclr

tstclr

Both Parents to Lung Cancer. Mom's spread to her brain. Both were age 60 and smoked.

Todd

23. These are tough reads. I lost my mom in 1996 to cervical cancer. Dad died a couple of years ago from Parkinson's and had Prostate cancer. I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer a few months before. I'm treating it with prayer and herbs. So far it is under control. The tumor has shrunk and my PSA is in normal ranges. I do feel for fourplug, this is a tough one. Somehow just knowing others have gone through similar ordeals helps. My wife lost her mother when she was 16..........breast cancer at the age of 45. I am glad there is a forum to share even the bad stuff that happens to us.

24. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

Lost my mother to what started as skin cancer. She was in remission for nearly 10 years when they found it again. It spread throughout her body and eventually took her life. There have also been numerous friends and fellow workers that have fallen to it. Nasty, nasty stuff that seems to becoming more common place.

25. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

My Dad to throat and lung cancer in 2001. Mom had breast cancer but survived it. She died last year of Alzheimer's. Bad stuff and more and more people are getting it..it seems.:(

26. I'm a prostate cancer survivor, but I lost my best friend Don to cancer. Actually Don was best friends with anybody who ever met him!

Mick

27. Not sure where my brain is. My uncle had prostate cancer, is a survivor but the radiation and chemo nearly killed him. Had three transfusions over internal bleeding due to the radiation burning through his colon. He introduced me to "hot rodding" when I was about 10 and he was 16. I'm now 62 and he is, well that would make him 68......how did I get so old so quick?