Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I gotta agree. Great stuff, great memories. Anything you could find would be wonderful....Thanks, Don.

2. I have a number of Winston Cup photos taken fron the pits at Pocono and driver photos. I just have to stop being so lazy and scan them. Tll then, enjoy these few from the old Freeport Stadium, LI, NY.
    Cookie Visconti
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

4. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Thanks to all you guys posting these great photos.

Indybigjohn, I am looking for some vintage photos of racing from Alabama in the late forties until early sixties. The reason I would like them is because my uncle was the promoter in those days (Mother was Secretary/treasurer). He had a large aomunt of photos and We believe he left them in a car that he traded off. We all were heartbroken to find them gone.

There were photos of guys with these names: Nero Stepto, Judd Merrill, Gober Sosebee, Tommy Wells, Sonny Black, Fred Thompson and many more. These photos mean a lot to my family and we would like to find a way to get copies. I would appreciate your keeping an eye out for me. If you find something, you can email me at [email protected].

By the way, I believe you can go to the web site of Alabama Racing Pioneers and find a lot of photos from the old days. Of course a lot of the early days of the Alabama Gang which actually started at the Birminham Fairgrounds after Bobby and Red moved to Birmingham.

I was there the first sunday they showed up. I hae heard and don't know if it is true but they did not have money to enter the race or even eat. Supposedly my uncle waived the entry fee and paid for hotdogs at the stand. Either Red Farmer or Bobby Allison won the main that Sunday.

5. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I'd say that's a 57 Chevy, not a Ford.

-nevermind, I read it wrong...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  6. k9racer

k9racer

was your uncles name Bob?? Or was it JP??

7. Geez, ya gave away the map to the "Buried Treasure", the "Secret Stash"...;)

J:Del

8. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Emil Reutiman (David's grandfather), My Dad (David's God father) and My Uncle, with My Dad's car. They won 5 stright track championship's at the old Golden Gate Speedway in Tampa, Before Mom made Dad sell the car as I was getting of age to drive myself. As the second picture shows Mom lost out. This was my first shot at a late model. Great thread good memories. Ted

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I want to apologize for not posting anything new in the last few days. From Saturday through Wednesday, I'm usually busy with my Corbin Speedway stuff. Race day Saturday and then getting all the records, points, PR, etc. shaped up. I'll be posting more stuff later in the week. Thanks to all who have joined in on this deal. The old photos are great.

10. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Let's take a look at the "Aero" wars of the early 70's. All time favs of mine. I can't believe these cars are almost 40 years old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Joel

11. No problem. We appreciate all that you've posted. Guys gotta' make a livin' after all....Don.

12. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

One of my first Oval track cars, Olds V8 Powered Olds Cutlass, I slid the body back on the frame about 4 inches and moved the engine back too, never got caught!

Raced at Mt. Clemens and Flat Rock Speedways in Michigan.

I cut up about a dozen of these old Olds just for the body parts. used to buy complete cars for $50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

13. Awesome pic and super neat racecar, man! Got anymore of your rides?

Joel

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Tricknology, no wonder you got away with it. You cut up all those other cars and made it LOOK stock.

Here's Bobby Allison at Salem in an ARCA race. Before the race, officials questioned his rear suspension, saying their rules required leaf springs. Bobby pointed out that the rules didn't say anything about using a coil spring between the rear mount and the leaf spring, which is what he did. Didn't they call this "semi-ellipitical" springing? Anyway, they let him run and he dusted the field. This was before sanctioning bodies got really smart and started saying only "approved" parts would be allowed.

[​IMG]

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Johnny Rutherford in an upside down slide on the backstretch at Daytona. Thirty years later he was in the tower at an IRP race, and I asked what that was like, 130 miles an hour and sliding on the roof. He said, "Ever tried welding with your shirt off?"

[​IMG]

16. Here's a few of my recently purchased/restored Bud Moore/Bobby Isaac Torino. Any of you NorCal folks want to come see some of these cars race, we'll be at Sears Point October 11-12.

Daytona 500 1973 2nd Place finish...
    [​IMG]

Bobby Isaac...
    [​IMG]

Bobby Isaac at Bonneville in '71

[​IMG]

Tech Inspection Charolette 1973
    [​IMG]

The car today...
    [​IMG]

I can post more if anyone is interested...Check out the link below for the race info as well...http://www.csrgracing.org/charitymaincsrg.html

17. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Ralph Earnhardt
    these are great pictures the last on is AWESOME look at Dale standing there in the middle!!!!

18. Long story, but when I was a kid I was once grounded from buying models. Yet I came across a model of this one and just had to have it. I hid it like an alcoholic hides a bottle. Yes, I got busted. But then, my Dad knew he was the one who got me hooked. Nice to see the car is still around.

19. I just bought the model on ebay for over 100 bucks, still in the shrink wrap after 35 years...

Here's a cool picture even some of the non-nascar folks will enjoy...dig the white Converse high tops! Bobby Isaac at Bonneville in 1971, he set several records but I can't recall the exact details.
    [​IMG]

20. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

All these awsum STOCK cars and what do we have now.......Toyota cup!:mad:

21. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Reading this post I kept wondering if someone had any from the MN fair. I remember my dad saying that he was there when there was a real bad crash in the corner. He also said that it was one of the best tracks around until they paved it.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I'm afraid I'm out of the loop as far as posting photos are concerned until I get a response from Photobucket. I'm logging in with the same username and password I've always used and it tells me one or the other is wrong. I've asked them, and I hope I get an answer soon.

23. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I was there, Dick Trickle did that I am pretty sure. Larry Phillips was one mean son of a bitch too who wouldn't hesitate to "shovel" the stokers out of the way. Loved that guy! I went to church with Larry's daughter, good girl, and I hung out in the pits and got handed a wrench or a crowbar every once in a while. I think that was the year that Mark took the track championship away from Larry. It was a sad thing to see the Fairgrounds Speedway in Springfield, MO go way. That was a fast track!

24. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Man I remember that shop, and the car like it was yesterday. Thanks Mark!

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yes, that Fairgrounds track at Springfield, Mo. was fast. I remember working a couple of ASA races there, and I loved it. Only ASA race I ever dropped a flag on the track. Got the checkered flag caught on a light switch cover and it pulled out of my hand and landed on the track. I just used the white again, then used the red without turning the red light on so everybody would complete their lap, then turned on the red light. Worked out fine, except everybody ran over the flag (I still think it was on purpose), and a couple even locked their brakes on it. My wife had to make a new one for the next race. This is gonna make a nice story for my Frontstretch.com column. Thanks for reminding me of that place.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got the Photobucket account squared away now. Here's a real piece of history. This is Jim Florian of Cleveland, winner of the first NASCAR race at Dayton, Ohio in 1950. This was Ford's first victory on NASCAR's premier circuit, and it was also NASCAR's first race on a completely paved track - the Daytona beach/road course only had one straightaway paved. The details can be found in my archived Driven to the Past columns on Frontstretch.com. I told the story last week.

[​IMG]

27. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

The legendary fight 2 Allisons vs 1 Yarborough

28. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

The legendary Junior Johnson "Banana Car" with chopped top tweaked up trunk and lots of creative body mods. Nascar let this thing race once. Told Junior to never bring it back to the track.

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

yeah but for some reason they had issues with Smokeys Chevelle.