Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '37 Chevy Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigDrew, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bigDrew

bigDrew

I think build posts are the best, but it seems like I never seems like there is enough time in the day to work in the garage, take a bunch of pictures, and then post them. I just put the topcoat of paint on my frame, so while the paint is drying I finally have a little time to do a post of my build!

I always wanted a 30's pickup and after a month of looking I found a '37 chevy that wasn't completely rusted out. The price was right (free), so I hauled it home. I had a 455 olds, muncie 4 speed, and a ford 9" lying around from a previous build (I decided to keep the stock drivetrain in my '52 olds) that I was going to use for this project.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      108.5 KB
      Views:
  2. bigDrew

bigDrew

The first task was to take everything apart. 70 years of dust made the job not much fun, but it only took a day to get it stripped down to the bare frame. The truck had never been wrecked and the frame straight.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      115.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

That is completely rusted out?:eek: You need to come to my neck of the woods to see Rusted Out. I would love to have that cab up here. You lucky dude.:)

4. bigDrew

bigDrew

The first big step was to modify the frame. I determined my ride height (about 4 1/2" inches) and tire size, which allowed me to calculate the amount of "z" needed in the front and back. I wanted to keep the parallel leaf springs up front and decided to go with airbags and a triagulated 4-link in the back. The frame was boxed and then the surgery began...

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:

5. bigDrew

bigDrew

After the frame was done it was time to chop the cab. I decided on a 4" chop that ended being a 5" chop when I was done. Measuring once and cutting at least twice seems to be my standard mode of operation, but I think the proportions look fairly good when I was finished. I did not take many pictures of the chop itself, because the hamb tech posts on this subject put mine to shame! The body was then channeled a couple of inches. It was set on the frame with the driveline installed to make sure everything fit like it was supposed to.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  6. JamesG

JamesG

Cool, I had a '37 that I drove in high school.

Is it cool to put your axle on top of your springs like that?

7. bigDrew

bigDrew

One major drawback to running a 455 olds is the lack of cool speedparts. I made some lake style headers with the help of hamber Richard D and then bent all the exhuast. I also built a 8x2 intake manifold, but I'm not sure if I will run it. I have a whole pile of holley 94's that need rebuilding and right now I'm just not motivated enough to start in on them. I'll probably run the stock manifold for the short term.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      110.1 KB
      Views:
  8. bigDrew

bigDrew

I had to machine some new mounting pads, but it should be just as strong as stock. Spring over/under conversions are pretty common in the 4x4 world.

9. bigDrew

bigDrew

Since the body was dropped over the frame, I had to build a new floor and tranny tunnel. I don't have any good pics of that, but you can kind of see it in this picture. My wheels and tires arrived from coker and then I rolled it outside for the first time.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      106.4 KB
      Views:
  10. JamesG

JamesG

I hope so, you don't want that axle to move a fraction.

Good luck, looks good.

11. bigDrew

bigDrew

I had to extend the front end a few inches to get the fan and grille shell to fit properly. Instead of leaving bare frame horns I added a bumper. The bed was shortened 8" to make everything look right proportionally. I still can't decide if I like the location of the front wheels compared to the grille, but I can always build another frame if it starts to drive me crazy...

You can see the seats I made on this thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171636

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
  12. bigDrew

bigDrew

Here's where I am now. I blasted the frame, put a coat of POR15 on it (wow that's nasty stuff), and then sprayed a topcoat of black on it. The body is out being blasted and primed. Dave at keeland automotive machine in Houston is working his magic on the 455 olds. I'm giving the paint a few days to dry and then I will start putting everything back together.

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Cab, bed, and engine need to come back about a foot or so to look proportional. I wouldn't got as far as to build a new frame, but it looks a little too long in the nose.

I like the paralell leafs though!

14. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

15. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

What's up with that intake? Did you build that out of sheetmetal yourself? That thing is BAD! Put some more pics of it up if you get the time, would love to know how you built it as well.

16. bigDrew

bigDrew

There were a couple of good posts on here about building an intake that I stole some ideas from (runner length, pressure equalization between sides, plenum volume...). After a few calculations I did a quick sketch in pro-e and then started making chips on the bridgeport. It weight is almost exactly the same as the stock intake. I have no idea how it will flow or if I will ever be able to get all the carbs synced up. I've got more hours in fabricating it than I would like to admit, so I've got to give it a try! The sides of the plenum are DOM tubing which will allow me to use them as fuel rails.

Attached Files:

17. dt50chev

dt50chev

After spending all that time fabbing that intake, it would be a shame not to rebuild the carbs and run it.

18. ratso575

ratso575

very nice truck !
    the lines of 30`s trucks are sweet .......... mine is a low cab 37`
    keep up the good work , and for shur .....run the muncie ! :D

Attached Files:

19. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Dave and Kleet will do you good. They are my go to's for everything engine.
    Trucks looking damn good. Lots of hard work. I'm with ya on the front tire placement in relationship to the grill/frontend. Looks too far back in the pics, but they are pics. Don't think building a new frame should be in the cards, just ditch the chevy gear and run ford split ones to a ford axle and push the front running gear forward until it looks right. Worry about that down the road, get that sucka running!

20. All I did was drink beer and get in the way.

Glad to see you are finally getting some work done on that beast. You should come out to Jimmie's this weekend.

21. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Looks like lots of nice work has already been done. I agree on the wheelbase.
    Hate to say that with as far as you have gotten on the frame.

Here is what about a foot extension to the wheelbase will look like.
    Maybe even a little further out with that style of grill going in there.

[​IMG]
    BR

22. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

That intake looks even better with the carbs on it, just get yourself a carb syncing tool and go to town. Now you got me thinking.........I've got access to a digital readout bridgeport, some machining skills, and can weld really well, along with having taken drafting and cad in high school. Where'd you hijack the initial design from?

23. bigDrew

bigDrew

I appreciate all the feedback. I think the front end needs to move forward, but I'm not sure how much. Since the picture I posted is taken from the front it appears that the axle is further back than it actually is. Here's another picture that gives a different perspective. Once I get it all back together I'll see how it looks. I can always get rid of the parallel leafs and run something else.

Attached Files:

• side.JPG
      side.JPG
      File size:
      110.6 KB
      Views:
  24. I have always liked fenderless cars with the axle real close to the radiator, if not in front(like mine). Maybe cut about a third off the bed, too. Just my opinion.

25. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

Sweet! Love the motor and intake very cool!

36-38 are my favorite chevy pu. I drive mine 90% of the time

26. bigDrew

bigDrew

I already cut about a foot off the bed, I just don't have a new picture. It helped out drastically with the proportions. I still might install the fenders and running boards, so the front end will stay where it is until it's all back together. As with all my hot rods, it will never be complete and always changing.

I need to talk to the boss about jimmie's on sunday... I'm not sure what she has planned! If it stays dry I might dust off my bike and ride up.

27. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Another idea is to ditch the engine mounted fan, and relocate the radiator to behind the rear axle and use electric fans. That way you can suck that grill back 8-10"s

Just thinking out loud.

28. bigDrew

bigDrew

I saw a few homebuilt intakes on the hamb and then dreamed up the rest on my own. There was a really good thread awhile back on here about intake length and plenum volume that I got some useful stuff out of. The hardest part was making the sides to match the intake ports and bolt holes - it wasn't the easiest thing to measure. The other pain was making the mounting blocks for the carbs. After the fourth one, I realized I should have made a 4x2 or 6x2, not a 8x2! My main concern is how it will flow and unfortunately the only way I have to test it is to see if it runs.

29. Hopeless37

Hopeless37
    from Kansas

truck looks good, just got a 37, and was also going to run an olds 455

30. eharnden

eharnden

do not put fenders on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!