Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it worth it? Model A inside.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Wall, Sep 16, 2008.

1. A-Wall

A-Wall

theres a 28 model coupe forsale in my area, and i really like it.

the ad says

This is a 1928 Ford Model A Special Coupe. It is an all steel car that runs and drives. The body is in good shape and is a rumble seat coupe. It has the original mechanical brakes that have been relined and stops good. The engine is the original model a with a mallory electronic ignition so its turn the key and hit the starter switch. It has a dual downdraft Riley intake with twin Holley 94's and a Reds header. It runs rich and has a little smoke. Its 12 volt with a new alternator. The headlights are hallogen with turn signals built in and it has rear lights and signals. Its all new wiring and it all works great. I have a clear Ontario registration in my name.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are asking $8900 canadian for it. ive hear it run and it sounds badass.

Do you Think its worth that price?

2. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Got the bucks ??
    why ask stupid questions
    just buy it

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sounds quite reasonable to me. That interior looks like a bad dream I had once though! Un-mellow yellow...

4. Price is very reasonable for what it is -

5. A-Wall

A-Wall

well heres the thing it will be a trade deal and my vehicle is worth a little more so i just want to get an idea of the general value of this car or if 8900 is right around where it should be.

6. A-Wall

A-Wall

ya the interior is a bit much but im sure i can figre something out to make it work.

7. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

its a steel steal, buy it. cadillac dave

8. 61TBird

61TBird

if you don't...someone on here will!!

9. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Hard to build for that money.

10. A-Wall

A-Wall

since im new to dealing with engines this old, the oldest ive ever played with was a 35 flathead strait 6.
    with the mods this banger has, how much power should it be making roughly?
    can it be driven on highway and get up to those speeds?
    how bad are the mechanical rod brakes?

thanks for the input so far keep it coming!

11. 5window

5window

I'd say it's fair. $8900 is like 8300 US more or less. I think the body would need a bit of work-or more. The interior's a no-no and basically it's a nice car with a wild mix-neither fish,nor foul. Mechanical brakes but modern wheels and tires. Have cool engine but half really weird mods.Original headlights but converted to halogen.

I think it has potential-I'd not want to drive it as is. You can pretty much buy a nice stock A coupe for 8-10K and a not bad street rod for $15. So if you like the car and it really is solid, buy it and either drive as is, thumbing your nose all the while, or plan to spend abit more to get it into rod shape.

12. 5window

5window

The A motor was listed at 40HP and top speed was about 60. The brakes were designed to stop at these ratings. Not sure what your intake mods will do but wvenn so, your acceleration and top speed will be sort of-Tuesday. The good things are the Model A was/is easy to work on and there are a ton of used and new parts available. Try Mac's for their online catalog and they'll mail you one free,too.

13. A-Wall

A-Wall

first thing id probly do is add juice brakes and the wheels may get changed. it would just be a fun driver for puttin around town and entering the highway once and a while.

14. Squablow

Squablow

I drove a stock engined Model A across the country twice in the Great Race. The key to highway speeds with a Model A engine is a good overdrive unit. We had our speedster doing 85 and the motor was probably similar output to this one. But as-is you'll be winding it kinda hard at 60.

Mechanical brakes are scary, personally I would upgrade to the later "juice" brakes even on a totally stock car.

So if I were looking at this, I'd be figuring on swapping out brakes, dropping the money for an overdrive (was about $1500 10 years ago) and doing something else with that interior. Personally I don't like those wheels either.

It's not a screaming deal but it's not outrageous either. What exactly are you trading the guy that's "worth a little more"?

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

SEM vinyl dye in rattle cans. Good stuff, don't wear off.

16. A-Wall

A-Wall

this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. A-Wall

A-Wall

i was already thinkin the same thing! color ideas? lol

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I know this blond hair chick that just spent that on a boob job...What do you think?

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

do it man, that A has massive potential!

20. 21tat

21tat

I agree with Fencepost. Buy that thang and drive the shit out of it. Mucho potential.

21. norms30a

norms30a

Cool 66, cool A. Is it what they call a leather back coupe?

22. A-Wall

A-Wall

ok well im just waiting for an email back from the guy to set up a date to look over the cars better.

i hope the deal happens cuz it would be so much fun to drive that thing around.

23. A-Wall

A-Wall

24. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Buy it! I picked this up for less money, but it needs more cash thrown at it than yours. I'd love to have the hop up parts off your motor!
    [​IMG]

25. Crestliner

Crestliner

From what i see, only has linkage to one carb. Unless they have smaller jets, 94s will be to much for an A. I believe the car is worth the money, but expect to spend more.
    Sold this one for 10,000 a year ago.

Attached Files:

26. A-Wall

A-Wall

Nice find!

27. That interior will keep you from falling asleep at the wheel-

if I had the money, I'd take "serious look" at it...

28. A-Wall

A-Wall

ya he says its running rich so that could be why. oh i expend to spend more, lots of changes will be made to make it my own, but id like to always keep it drivable through the process. so ill still have the drive to work on my other project.

29. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Here is my 1928 Special Coupe in the middle of Australia, and the engine that took it there, one of three trips across the country in it.
    The Special Coupe was only made from July 1928 to June 1929 and is a relatively rare model. It featured mohair upholstery and other enhancements; reportedly it was "Henry's Favorite" of all the Model A bodies. Mechanical brakes will stop it provided they are correctly adjusted. At that price you should jump on it.

Attached Files:

30. gashog

gashog

Yes, or Special Coupe. At first glance, they look like a regular coupe, but they are kind of unique. It's actually a Sport/Business coupe from the beltline down with unique roof stampings that are grooved for the leatherback moldings. Here's a couple pictures of mine before and after I rodded it:

Attached Files: