Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just recovered roll of film LOOK!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Pauly, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

this is the info that I received from the Gallery where I purchased these pics. I am in no way associated with the gallery, but thought that this is a good cause and something that some you on here would be interested in. I have all 18 pics scanned, but do not want everyone to copy them. These are taken from the original film and are higher quality than they look with my crappy scanner. If you are interested in buying a set, PM me. If someone knows an easy way to pics from being lifted, let me know and I will post all of them. til then, it will be the ugly writing every where. any way here it goes...

The pictures were taken in either 1959 or 1960.
    The show was taken place in San Diego in Balboa Park at the Old Electric Building. (That later became the first Aerospace Museum… that later burned to the ground)
    Bill Burger (the photographer) was 13 or 14 years old when he attended the show.
    The show lasted 3 days.
    Bill got in for free by helping Ed Roth carry in some of his shirts and sweatshirts and assisting him.
    Ed Roth drove a 1957 Chevy with a trunk full of t-shirts, easels, and an airbrush kit.
    Roth painted Sweatshirts and T-shirts for the event. With custom shirts of the “Original Outlaw” that you could have your name on it.
    His most popular design that everyone requested was “Rat Fink”… that he just introduced.
    The first Engine Pan on the Original Outlaw had a pin stripe painting of Rat Fink on it.
    (Curious to know if that exists today..)

A few things of IMPORTANT interest in regards to these pictures of the Original Outlaw…
    It has the top.
    The top was later decided to be taken off… for reasons that the car looked better without it.
    Also the back wheels were later replaced with bigger tires.

The show was ahead of its time and meant to be a show that showcases the future of Automobiles.

The guy with the eyebrows waxing the car… still not sure who he is… but he came with Roth to the show and helped him.

In the pictures with the 1959 T-Bird… that was painted by LARRY WATSON.

Larry Watson was the premier “go-to” guy to get the best custom paintjob in LA at that time starting a lot of trends later on in the auto painting world.
    I think he still exists today as that.

The following picture was a cover car (around that era) for Hot Rod Magazine.

At that time… it was some serious honor to have your car on the cover.
    Only 3 hotrod magazines existed back then…
    HotRod Magazine, CarCraft, and Rod and Custom.
    -
    The picture with the go-carts…

The significance of this picture is that this was the first company that created “go-carts”. Very new at the time. The originators.
    Also… The picture of the Cragar advertisement in the picture…
    That is an early short dragster. In which of course later through the years the dragster got further and further stretched out.

---the following pictures…

This is a Model T built by TV Tommy Ivo. One of his first customs.
    The significance… is the engine is a Buick “Nailhead” V-8.
    TV Tommy became a huge icon in the hot rod world and on television as an actor.
    He also built the first 4 engine dragster. (He’s on wiki online encyclopedia)

--

This car was built by Willy Clark. Famous San Diego Hot Rodder at the time.

-

This picture is of a 1932 Ford (one of their first customs) built by the Jackman Brothers.
    Who later became famous for their off-road equipment and special wheels.
    -

In these 2 pictures is the famous car that was in the “77 Sunset Strip” TV show.
    Built by Norm Grabrowski. Who later built other cars for television shows including “My Mother the Car” – A Model T Touring Car.
    The car was known as “Kookie’s car”
    The significance of it being at the show was they borrowed it off the set while the show was still running.

As far as the rest of the pictures…
    They are random shots of other cars there at the show.

The show was a serious who’s who of the hotrod world and everyone who was anyone was there.

[​IMG]

2. slammed

slammed

Dude, what a treasure!!

3. mikes51

mikes51

That is a smart move to throw all that copy on the pics. I have had trouble with strangers using some of my images before I also started adding lettering. We can still appreciate the images with the copy over them.

Congrats on a great find. By coincidence, I still have a photograph someone gave me in high school. I wish I could remember who it was because I'd like to ask them now where it was taken. The photograph is of the Outlaw also with the top on it. And it has a funny looking single seat that doesn't go all around like the one we all know of now. Thanks to you I at least know about when the pic was taken.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

4. onedge

onedge

your lucky.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Even at the smaller sizes posted here these do look to be pretty good quality photos. I'd like to see a larger one of the Ed Roth pic but understand your concern about somebody lifting a copy off the net. There's not really much you can do to prevent it except what you're already doing by posting smaller images and watermarking them. But even if you post them at 480x640 they won't make a very good print bigger than maybe 3.5"x5". And when you resize and save the files as JPEGs you could apply a little extra compression to make smaller files and knock the quality down somewhat. They'll still look pretty good onscreen but the print quality will suffer a bit.

But here's the really important part. DO NOT SELL COPIES OF THESE PHOTOS if you do not OWN THE COPYRIGHTS TO THEM. It sounds like you purchased prints only and not the negatives from the gallery. You're free to display them here and do lots of other things with them, but unless you have the copyright or express permission from the copyright holder you shouldn't sell copies or use them for any other commercial purpose. Photographers and their agents are very protective of their property, even more so in recent years.

Looking forward to seeing more scans, even small, watermarked versions.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  7. butch27

butch27

I only see 4 pictures??

8. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

I would never sell copies. If anyone wants copies, PM me and I will give them the Gallery's contact info. They are selling them to raise money for the photographer as he is ill. I will post more in a little while after I get a chance to put the do not copy on them.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

pretty chickenshit to put that do not copy all over them. there is no comercial value to these pics as posted due to the low res small images.

I've posted thousands of pictures here. a large percentage of them were event pictures that I sell on CD. a few others ended up in magazines for event coverage. never considered covering them up with do not copy. I'm sure people have saved a shitload of them in thier car picture folders.

10. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

11. Glad to hear that wasn't your intention. Sadly, lots of folks think they can do what they please with any pic they buy or "liberate" from the internet.

And better yet, the gallery is selling them as a fundraiser for the photographer in his time of need. They'll surely get a few customers from the HAMB.

12. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

13. showrod

showrod

wow , the Ivo T the kookie T and the outlaw. three of the worlds best t buckets all at the same show. only one missing is tweedy pie. thank you for sharing!

14. zgears

zgears

are you 4 feet tall??????

15. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

???

16. hillbilly hemi

hillbilly hemi

WOW! Thanks for posting Pauly. Helluva find.

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, how about a link to where a guy could buy the said pictures if he so wished?
    Gene

18. Anderson

Anderson

The story I heard about the top of the Outlaw (called Excalibur at the time I think) was that the top blew off when it was being taken to or from a show on a trailer. Very cool pics, thanks!

19. Pauly,

Damm.....

Post the gallery details man!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  20. Cruiser

Cruiser

Big Pauly - Congratulations on a very cool find those are some great shots with a lot of history.

CRUISER :cool:

21. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

22. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Jackman brothers coupe was so bad ass back then, cool pics.

23. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

Ed told me the same story on the roof. It blew off in transit and got destroyed.

24. mikes51

mikes51

Here is the pic. Who knows, this pic could have been taken at the same show. My photo has spectators in the background so it's taken after the show has started. The cool thing about your collection is they are the before show set up pics.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  25. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Very cool Mike.

26. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Those are incredible! I'll be contacting the gallery for copies. PS...notice all the cool show cards? Wonder what those are worth now....

27. Thanks Big Pauly - way cool. I want to get down to Atl for the art show this month.

28. Very cool Pauly, thanks for sharing.

29. onedge

onedge

very cool Big Pauly! thks for the extra info.

30. 65 impala

65 impala