Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrowing Malibu rear frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalrewireMatt, Sep 16, 2008.

1. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

Hey, first post here but you guys know your sh it so I figured this is the best place to come. I have a 64 Malibu that needs a new rear suspension and it needs to be narrowed for my new wider rims. Let me say right of the top this IS NOT a prostreet car just a Malibu that I want low and can handle good. The previous owner/idiot cut out the stock 4 link brackets, spring perches ect and actually converted it to leaf spring suspension instead :confused: Well I got a good deal on an otherwise very straight car so I figured Id take it and build a better mousetrap. Ive looked into buying a new rear clip and even a full new frame but both options are WAYY overpriced (talking over 5k for any option). Ive decided to build my own rear suspension instead and do it my way and save money for stuff like rent and gas instead. Im kinda stuck at how I should do it though.

First, I need to move the frame rails in about 6 inches on either side given that early Chevelles dont have alot of room for wider wheels.

Second, I want to build a three link suspension (two lower links, one center mounted upper link) with a panhard bar and coilovers.

Now the second part isnt my issue cause I lucked out and actually found a book that has blueprints for the suspension with materials lists and the whole shebang, pretty convenient.

My big issue and the reason Im posting is to get suggestions or advise on if I should install a rear crossmember for the lower links, cut off the stock frame rails and reweld them in just set in the required distance, Or start from scratch and build the frame rails out of 2x4 and build the rear out like they do on a Nascar?

Im kinda scratching my head on the best way to keep everything squared off in the back so I dont end up with a frame thats nice and straight then veers off in one direction where I reattatched it.

I do plan on having the car off the chassis to do this but some people have actually told me not to do that because I have no way of keeping things straight to the car, others say it doesnt matter youre either going to get it right or youre gonna get it wrong so just take the body off and measure a lot.

Ive never done chassis work this involved in all the cars Ive done so I am a bit nervous cause I dont really have a clear plan of how I should do this. Hopefuly you guys could give me some ideas about what to do. I figured this isnt any different than doing a custom rear suspension for any other car but looking at magazines and things like that never really answer some of the questions I end up having.

So if you have done anything like this and could help out I am all ears thanks.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

popcorn please?

3. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

install ladder bars and an olds rear

4. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

5. I want a PB and J sandwich,,,,, your point?

6. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

LOL went to TeamChevelle and they only know bolt on stuff. Art Morrison was a call I made and wants a grip for a damn rear clip. Id hate to get flamed out for having a chevelle and asking a question, if it was an Impala would I be ""accepted"? If it makes any difference I have a laid out 61 olds 88 and I just have a new project that I need some fabrication advise on. Sucks... oh well nevermind

7. You are a tool noob.

8. I'd just cut the rear frame rails off, move them over 6", and make so gussets out of 1/8" plate to tie everything back together. Use cardboard for templates. Chris Alston used to give out a brochure that showed how they back-half cars, my see if he still has them, you could get good ideas from that.

9. sounds like Art Morrison is too expensive? you don't have to buy the whole rear frame clip , i think you can just buy the bent frame rails...and copy the rest. get some DOM tubing , maybe some rectangular tubing for crosmembers and have at it

check with Summit Racing , i think they sell some stuff like that too

try Chassis Engineering...not the hot rod one , the race car one

http://chassisengineering.com/

these guys have stuff too:

http://www.cachassisworks.com/

check out what these guys have , figure out how they do it , what you can do yourself and have at it. got a welder? can you weld? have access to metal working equipment?

10. brandon

brandon

depending on how big of a tire your wanting , i'd say slim the rails down and make a plate to box it back in ....i'm doing a 64 myself , and currently have a 29.5x9 slick under it and it looks big....installing quarters and have been thinking of thinning the rails as well....possibly enough for a 10.5...it was already switched to coil overs , so setting the ride height will be a piece of cake....was going to do a awb car , but think i'll keep that idea for another body....:rolleyes: someone mentioned moving the whole rail assembly in , that would work slick , then just move the lower control arm brackets in the same amount ...4 pieces of 3/16 plate would be about all you'd need for the job....my brother in laws metric malibu was done like this back in 82...but they switched the rails from side to side so that they are smooth on the outside now...worked slick... brandon:D

11. 61TBird

61TBird

For the Chevelle,go to the Chevelle forums on Team Chevelle.Someone will have an answer,keep trying.
    Now if you have questions about the '61 Olds...you've come to the right place.

12. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

damn, ok didnt consider myself a tool cause I was trying to figure out the best way to keep frame rails squared up when you modify them but to each their own. A frame is a frame I guess I shoulda just lied and said it was for a 54 instead. Ill look elsewhere for what I figured to be fairly straight forward fabrication advise. BTW a low post count doesnt mean a guy hasnt ever turned a damn wrench in his life, it means I dont sit on the damn computer all day. I also dont do chassis work everyday and most guys around here do so I figured it might be a good place to ask. Thanks bud

13. Stick around, some of the guys here think a rusty Model A with disk brakes, an electric fan, and radials is a traditional hot rod. You'll still learn a lot, no matter what the car.

14. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

I need a little too much to thin the rail... like an extra inch on each side once you figure in for tire clearance but it was an idea before I measured. Since the stock suspension mounts on the frame were hacked off, using the stock suspension is out of the question so I figured a three link works the best (no bind, less parts) and I just gotta figure out how to keep the damn thing squared up. I though about making sliding bars that I could weld in that slip down like shower curtain rods to keep everything aligned then I could have it braced, cut it off and just slide it together at the narrower width. It may work or may just be too much work but thats why Im asking for some advise. It tough finding a forum with a lot of actual fabricators and not just a bunch of guys that buy stuff out of catalogs and bolt stuff on.

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Welcome aboard!
    I think the frame you need is sitting in a junkyard somewhere under another 64 Malibu.
    Your into performance to some degree so max out the stock suspension to handle with some good Radials that fit the car just as it sits.
    You'll get it done sooner and you'll be driving a better car for less.

You say your not talking Pro/Street...but in essence you are...and that means the car will suffer if you don't have wads of cash.

By that I mean EVERYTHING will need to be changed to some degree from the rear seat back. Body mounts, wheel wells, rails. fuel tank maybe, suspension, rear axle assembly etc.
    Everything gets changed an inch or two so everything needs re-engineering. A lot of cost for a little gain in tire size. I'd spend the cash to maximize a stock replacement frame and build off that!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  16. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

WTF??

Give the guy a break and maybe explain a few things to him...

17. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

yeah I have a lincoln and can weld just never had to build something like this before. Normally Im welding in patch panels or shaving trim though not major frame surgery. The biggest frame related project Ive done is a camaro clip into a 58 Apache so thats the extent of my frame experience. All of the chassis companies sell rear clips for race cars and they end up being alot of cash when you add everything up... plus Im not shooting for room for a 31" slick but I do have a 275 width back tire so I still gotta make room but I dont want an aluminum interior and have a drag car. As far as just getting another frame... well Im still in the same situation that I have to narrow it up to make my tire fit, I already have wheels so just getting something that fits stock dimensions is not in the cards.

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I gotta agree. That was a bit brutal...
    He doesn't strike me as an idiot or a troll.

19. If you can shave door handles and pach panels, and have already done a front clip, you can handle this. Just put the axle where you want it, set the ride height, and cut out whatever's in your way. Then look at it, and think about it. You'll get it. It's not a Space Shuttle.

20. i suggested those place to give you some ideas...you don't have to buy anything from the.the idea is to copy what you can.

Chris Alston has some good tech stuff on their website , you could get some ideas there

http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_how_to.html

21. Cool, those are the same articles he had in the brochure years ago. Late model pro-street stuff, but still good fab ideas.

22. vp23271

vp23271

For the mod's you’re looking to do to your Malibu, I would try pro-touring (google it)

I believe Art Morrison is a sponsor on that forum. If you’re looking to tub the rear end or narrow the rear frame rails, post your question over there and they should be able to help out.

This forum is geared more towards traditional hot rods. Lot's of good info on this site, but you might have better luck at pro-touring

23. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

This may be something that might work for you:

http://www.hotrodstohell.net/truckarm/truckarm_index.htm

Bolt/weld in suspension, preengineered, proven (similar to NASCAR), pricey but it works right. You could just buy the crossmember ($300) and get the rest on your own.

Marty McF.

24. pastlane

pastlane

Check with S&W (probably jegs & morrison as well), they offer just the bent rear rails that are contoured to fit the stock floor. After the obvious prep, cut out the junk that's in there. Weld in a cross member with the driveshaft loop in it to tie the original rails side to side. Then just build off the back of it all the way to the bumper. Use the new cross member to attach yer links to , a cross member to mount the shocks on and one more at the rear to attach the bumper and you're set to go.
    Measure twice, cut once.

25. Well sure, why don't we just invite all of the import guys over too? There is not a damn thing wrong with pro streeting a 64 Malibu,,, HOWEVER,,,, wrong forum. If you want to let ALL types of cars on, feel free. Or better yet, hit the Chevelle forums with Model A questions. Last I checked, a 64 is NOT 63 or earlier,,, and pro streeting was NOT traditional.........:cool:

26. brandon

brandon

also check out a place called autoweld....seems like they had some clips as well..... brandon:D

could always slip the body over a 100" dragster chassis....:D

27. Drive Em

Drive Em

I've moved the frame rails in on several Tri-5 Chevys and a couple of '65 Chevelles. It is best if it is done on a chassis jig or fixture of some sort, but it can be done on jack stands. I used 2 x 6" rectangular tubing as "kickers" to connect the rails with the frame after they are moved in whatever amount you want. You will need to remove the stock 4 link crossmember and narrow the rear crossmember.

28. Drive Em

Drive Em

I thought it was 1964 and earlier?

29. "Let me say right of the top this IS NOT a prostreet car just a Malibu that I want low and can handle good"

And now you've changed the H.A.M.B. General Discussion forum's imaginary year cutoff to '63? What's next on this "slippery slope"?

Thanks,
    Kurt