Register now to get rid of these ads!

if you have young kids about to start driving, make them watch this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

found this on another site i belong to, some of the subtitles are in german i believe,but it doesn't need words. if you have young kids who are about to start driving,sit down with them and watch this with them. tell them is is reality and this is why they need to be careful and pay attention. I will warn you it's graphic, but sometimes thats what it takes to get through to young people. especially when it comes to driving, their lives and others peoples lives are at stake. whoever produced this video,thank you maby you will make someone think and save a life. this hits home for me,because i lost 5 friends in 1990 in tech school,they were goofing off and slid under a tractor trailer killing them all. if they had seen this maby they would have thought better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjocYbbdsk

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Wow, I don't think you have to be young to have that hit you. I drive tractor trailer for a living and sure love my hot rods and I've seen alot of bad on the roads but even at my age (53) that's very sobering

3. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

When I was in high school in the early 60's they used to show us films like this. I still remember some of the scenes to this very day.

4. Wow, that is all I have to say. In America you would never see anything like that on TV these days. I guess that is kind of a shame. Reality is hard to see sometimes and can be tough, but a little more stuff like that might keep people thinking a little more before doing stupid things.
    Adam Kazee
    Evil Kazeevil Promotions
    www.dmeolitioninc.net
    [email protected]
    304-416-1202

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea kids today think they are invincible, it's even worse then when i was a kid because of all the airbags and stuff. A lot of them need a reality check that the airbag isn't always going to save you and it's no substitute for good driving. There is talk now about raising the driving age, I think with the general level of immaturity among a lot of teens today,this is a good idea. It just seemed kids had more sense back when I was sixteen,not all of them,but a lot of them. we also weren't driving down the road at sixty texting on a cell phone.

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep. Need to watch that.

7. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

Never going to be able to let my daughter go outside again........ I thought that my problems would start when the dating started. Very sobering 6 minutes of film.

8. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

HOLY F-ING SHIT, I was not expecting to see that...they should show this at the dmv to everyone trying to get a license, new or renewed...

9. Many years ago when I took drivers ed, they showed films a whole lot more gruesome than that very mild video.

There were NO special effects in those days. They showed actual events. The bodies were real.
    Decapitated passengers, a crushed face embedded in a deformed windshield post, a fast moving 1953 Cadillac with what looked like 300 feet of guardrail going in thru the windshield and out the back window whipping around as the car kept on sliding (imagine what that did to the people inside)...
    There was one that showed someones head after it hit the windshield, poked part way through, and then jolted back into his seat. He was completely scalped by the laminated glass closing-in, and was so bloody you wouldn't recognize him if he was your brother.

That made us all apreciate the risks of driving.

It didn't stop us from hotrodding and building faster and faster cars, but most were more careful I think.

I wish they would show the films we saw, that made some classmates quite sick, so the seriousness of it all would sink in to a kids mind.

I also think that cleaning up accident scenes too quickly has left the public with the impression that roads are safer than they really are.

I sometimes work for I D O T and I see all traces of really bad accidents completely removed often within an hour or less.
    They should leave some of the debris and scars as warning signs for a few days instead of pretending that nothing bad happened.

Drivers today make too many really bad decisions because they are actually PREVENTED from learning from others. Most have NO IDEA how bad the risks really are for even the small mistakes.

One winter I watched a family of five perish, excuse me, BURN ALIVE, in a van fire that the other IDOT guys couldn't get to because of a broken fuel line. All I could do was watch the smoke from a couple hundred feet away and hear the frantic two-way radio traffic as I used my truck to block traffic and divert cars away from the scene.

An hour later there was NO TRACE of it, and cars were just flying by on the ice once again...... no idea how dangerous it was. Burnt wreckage in the median would have slowed most of them down for a day.

And here I am- I find it hard to keep my motorcycle under 80 mph when I think there is room, even though I work with people who have had to scrape human guts off of truck frames before towing them in.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  10. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

11. Brian W

Brian W

WHOA! That video really makes you stop and think.

12. chopt49

chopt49

Sure wish the punk kid who lost control and jump the median then hit me head-on had seen that...may have changed things??? My body would be much better off these days...

I will pass this along....

13. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I usually don't have a problem watching anything, but that was disturbing. But yes, it does get a point across.

14. striper

striper

Those are good clips. Funny how they seem surreal. Some people would say that they are not realistic.

They are definitely realistic. I have been to a lot of crashes that are similar to those.

One of the most surreal of those clips I think is the car rolling through the back fence and over the kid. I went to exactly that call a few months back. The only thing different was there were no kids playing in their back yard at the time.

Most of the vehicle accidents I attend are unreal. It's true what "Dare To Be Different" is saying about people not comprehending the price of a small mistake. How can they? It is just too far fetched for them to believe.

Pete

15. Leon

Leon

I believe a lot of kids today have the video game mentality - If you crash, hit the reset button and start again. They have airbags, daddy will buy me a new car if he really loves me.... and all that shit. We didn't have all that safety crap, we learned how to drive because we didn't have it. If I got into an accident, I had to fix it. Solution? I didn't get into any accidents and drove my car knowing if it got wrecked I was walking!

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks for the link. I just had my 15 year old daughter watch this. She went through her 30 hours of class, sounds like they show some graphic information to drive the point home as well.
    First time I took her out I had her drop two wheels off to the shoulder and ease the car back onto the road to get the feel.
    She has about 10 hours behind the wheel right now. So far I she is doing great. Definately a fine line between confident and over confidence.

17. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

I drive for the city of chattanooga. Monday i was a the transfer station and a drive of a front loader checking his phone messages ran the front bucket into the front windshield. The front bucket sliced the passanger side out of the truck, i was suppose to have a trainee with me. God was on mine and his side that day. He was about 4 feet front crushing me and totaled the truck i was driving. That was my close call, but that video really hits home.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Typical Computer Generated, Overdone Garbage.

With some Metallica to set the mood.

I'm not impressed.

The films they showed me when I was a kid were real.
    And not as easy to dismiss...

19. Tony

Tony

right with you on that one!

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

now they did show some real wrecks in there with it, I know it's computer done some of it,but if it gets the point across to a young driver,that driving is serious buisness, then it was worth making. whoever did this,did it with the point of making young drivers realize that driving isn't a game. if it saves some lives then it's worth it. I agree that they should show some real ones, but this is the best you can get in this day and age.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

They showed us the Movies made by the Camera Crews that went to the Crash Sites with the Police.

Gruesome stuff... Real tragedies.

We had people puking in the Classroom, but it didnt slow most of us down for more than a day or two.

If you think this wannabe Hollywood production with its Fast & Furious Crashes is going to fool anyone, you are underestimating the problem...

22. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I'm 14. I can't drive yet, and if I had to wait until I was 18 to drive? Well, some kids are real idiots, but there are a rare few out there of us that drive old cars we put blood into. My friends with older cars drive like a PTA mother. Not all of us are teenyboppers lacking common sense. Alot of us are, but I'm doing an experiment at my school- take away my computer, TV, cell phone, iPod and see how much I weigh, got done on my car, do on tests, etc after 30 days.

Plus, if driving was 18, it'd totally kill the high school John Milner-y thing I'd have going on with an A-bone..

23. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I have a CD that has about 20 of the original drivers ed crash videos from the 50's. Pretty ruff stuff.

The most famous of the clips from the 50's was called Signal 30. Almost 30 minutes long, and its all real footage.

Go to Youtube and punch in - signal 30.

Oh!!! Check out the bad ass 58 Impala at 4:30 in part 1!!! It's freakin nice!!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  24. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

signal 30 shows quite a few badass cars and trucks destroyed. In the signal 30 part 2 at 1:25 is sounds like is says an aging hard of hearing fucker.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  25. gearjam1

gearjam1

-I expected something cheesy...having been a Driver's Ed instructor I've shown a lot of "prevention" videos and such... This one had me crying. I think it would for any parent. My Daughter just got her license...

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wish there were a lot more young people like you, it seems the majority of young drivers today are more interested in texting then paying any attention to where they are are going. I bet if a lot of them had built their own cars like you did,they would pay a lot more attention. lots of them the attitude is ,oh well the insurance or daddy will pay for it. there needs to be a way to let the kids who are more mature drive earlier then the immature ones. but someone would scream not fair!! and the aclu would claim it was race based or some BS. 'll bet a lot of the more mature younger drivers would also appreciate not having the dumb ones on the road. I would appreciate it myself. I was almost hit by some girl turning into the high school this morning,she swerved all the way into my lane,then i could see she wasn't even looking out the window she was looking down texting.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

At 16? I would have laughed it off and gone to jump my Honda over the nearest set of railroad tracks out of spite. I think it's lame and teenagers smell lame.

You know what got through to me as a kid? Having a parent sit down with me and have a no bullshit conversation. They didn't "sit me down" and there is a big difference right there. No scare tactics, no overdone "what if" scenarios, just straight talk.

I remember the bullshit and I remember the stuff that got through. This sort of patronizing stuff was the worst.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thats what I was trying to say.

But you said it better...

29. littleratracing

littleratracing

We don't do films like this in England just a few hours of lessons then a test and off you go. I think a lot of kids over here wouldn't care because the cars they drive make them feel far to safe. Tested this out the other day one of the girls at work said her boyfriend wanted to go for a spin in my T roadster so I said ok, now this guy thinks nothing of doing handbreak turns if he wants to change direction plays chicken with other cars real idiot. So off we go in the T, no seat belts no roof no air bags on bias tyres. I have never seen someone so scared in my life, he was white and he actually wet himself and I was driving carefully because it was damp and greasy.Anyway couple of days later The girl at work said her boyfriend couldn't believe anyone could actually drive a car like that and want to carry on driving, he just didn't feel safe, but he said it made you so aware of everything and that it had actually change his driving for how long I don't know . I said that It makes you concentrate and more respectful because if you get it wrong thats it flying without the wings.
    So all I can say is make the young un's drive older cars or ride motorbikes to start with might clear their minds or reduce some of the road users

30. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

This sucks, Who cares. go watch "Faces of Death" if you want a reality check.