Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newb here In need of advice....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikemustang289, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Here's another one with a soiled diaper. Since 2001 non the less. Help me mommy, I got piss and rat rod turds stuck to my ass!

2. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

there was a similar thread (meaning newbie with no clue) yesterday morning that I was part of in trying to 'direct' the guy to first read what this forum is about before posting - at least this kid is looking at a real car - the old guy yesterday was asking what we all thought about street beast kit cars for fucks sake
    I agree with Skwurl - if it weeds out the faint of heart - isnt that a good thing?

3. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

WOW! getting yelled at by a guy on the other side of the planet on your first day of school. Thats TIT'S

4. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I do too. I always seem to form a visual image of what I think the posters look like. Some 'appear' to be big and bad and mean, with all the aggression and testosterone laden bile spewing from their keyboards, whereas in real life they are probably the dirtball punk on their block, slapped around daily by all and sundry, but living an imagination fuelled life via their internet connection.

I'm joking, obviously, as Doc may well be fuckin' mahoosive and may come to see me one day, with a chewed off baseball bat in his huge catchers mitt of a paw.

Wanker that he is. :D

5. Taff

Taff

correct answer from the good doctor! and well done that man for correctly spotting the right moment to hug and make up. you aussies are all big softies :)

getting back on topic, as has been said I would be more wary of the wood thn the rust in that chevy. looks a nice enough motor, stick some ww x-ply's on it, decent interior. Those 292 lumps are pretty strong for long distance drives and s/sixe's generally have quite a strong and loyal following.

6. mikemustang289

mikemustang289

From what I'm learning the 292 seems like a decent drivetrain for what I'd need it for. And for those who might be familiar with these cars, how much of a structural role does the wood play in the cars body? I can see it in the passenger door and jam, but drivers doesn't have any. That's got me wondering how necessary it actually is, whether it could be replaced with metal, or will require woodwork on my part. None of which I'm opposed to doing but that's just one more thing for me to consider. I'm going to at least try on check the car out in person.

7. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

As for the car in the egay ad, it looks like a bitchin little number that could be pretty reliable too man. hope you get it. as far as ratrods are concerned, my 59 caddy could be considered a ratrod, and I dont give a flying f@@k. You only label your crap if you're trying to fit into something. I call my caddy a piece of crap, cause of all the work it needs, but it's reliable as hell, and that's what matters to me. whatever. it takes all kinds to make a group. If you "do" you get flamed. if you "don't" you get flamed. If you got a good sense of humor, and a little patience, you will really enjoy this website.
    Take care man. It really is about the cars, most of the nice people on here will tell you the same.

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Wow I wasted 10 minutes reading all this. Yeah looks like a decent car. Is that the only question? Lame...

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

To no one in particular;flaming people on the Internet is the work of keyboard cowboys. Some of you make it into a badge of courage.
    Anyways,it's always a good cheap shot to go after a guy asking stupid questions that been asked a 1000 times before.
    When I first came to this place I asked a question and was hammered by a few guys who apparantly had been in and out of drug and alcohol treatment all their lives and were under court ordered sedation. I got pounded so bad I left and came back with a different screen name.
    Now I watch others get pounded and it's kinda funny .
    Aside from this,I've learned quite a bit here from reading threads written by guys that are truely interested in this hobby.

10. Flatattack

Flatattack

You got a carrot shoved up there somewhere??

Attached Files:

11. Thumper

Thumper

ROFLMAO.......:d

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  12. AtomicDrew

AtomicDrew
    from Zompton Il

Can we close this thread already. The kids question has been answered and if he needs to know about the wood structure holding early Chev's together or how a underslung front end works then he can search and do a little more reading than typing.

13. Kerry67

Kerry67

I think that all this bad mouthing is stupid. So WHAT if some-one likes rat rods or traditionals or whatever. The fact that it is someone with and interest in an OLD car should be cool enough. But the bashing some people get is un-called for. Doc just got flat out rude and made him self look like a bigger ass than imaginable.

14. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

What is this....the new episode of Days of our lives????

15. Rickdef17

Rickdef17

All that from a guy from QUEENSLAND. Sheesh.......... get real. Don't you guys drive on the wrong side of the car?

16. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Funniest fukkin thing that I've seen posted in days!!!

LMFAO!! :D

17. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

I noticed tonight someone has a rod run labeled "Ratrod Rumble 2008" and knowbody is gettting crazy attacking the guy thats putting on the show or started the thread!

Something very funny is going on around here........................

It make you wonder if there is the HAMB and the TOP SECRET HAMB. Kinda like a Forum inside a Forum.........................

18. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

BTW-

In the video "Hot Rod Story", Alex states that in the early days, "hot rodders" HATED that moniker & wanted their cars to be called roadsters.

Same shit different era, eh?

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

We turn on each other over a word that is becoming main stream .We are all rejects that cant control ourselves .We all want to speed make noise and and burn fuel.We are not the main stream we are on the out side .Rat rod who fucking cares just a opinion and a name that will pass or change.

20. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

What about the coupes? were those to be called roadsters too?
    not being sarcastic, just askin
    personally i have always had a problem when guys refer to their muscle cars and mullet machines as hot rods. Yeah, your camaro and my civic both man...
    I think that is the draw of the phrase 'rat rod'. it clearly rules out muscle cars and street rods while giving you the finger all in one fell swoop of bad taste. Sort of like drinking 40's in high school.

The chev looks good, really good for under $6000, but leaves plenty of room for improvement. like a real transmission. and a split exhaust. and dual carbs.

as far as the wood, i would ask him for some more pictures of the interior, The inside back of the rear window, under/behind the seat, under any insulation/carpet, under the dash, etc
    i would think that most of the problems have been dealt with, but most of my thinking is wrong.

21. I love posts like this,,,, shows me whos bullshit to put on my ignore list rather then watch them dust sand out of their mangina.

22. damnfingers

damnfingers

Mike, I think you'll find the entire body framework is wood...look it over well before you make a decision (although it's possible the current owner has replaced some of it with metal).

23. Weasel

Weasel

You gotta hand it to MM289 though for resilience, and Doc will be okay in a day or two when the bloating and cramps subside!:D:D

24. roddinron

roddinron

Funny, I think this a lot, sometimes it's like the twilight zone around here.

25. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i put up a post last week about why all the hate for the word "ratrod" it was pulled off real quick. i cant believe this one is still up. seems like there are some double standards goin on here. i was told by ryan that it caused to much big time drama, well what the fuck do you call whats goin on here??? it is kinda funny to see what a bunch of fuckin babies are on here. is being angry and overly sensative traditional ????

26. skwurl

skwurl

This post wasnt about the term rat rod. It was just used and got steered toward that. It really started out with good intentions. The new guy just takin his kicks for a bad choice of words. Rat rod was not the subject.

27. Kerry67

Kerry67

I still think it is dumb that people get so upset over the term. Like people have mentioned, there is so much hate for the rat rods but if you look at picture threads, everyone posts pics of them and the classifieds have loads of cars that could be considered Rat Rods. I myself just like old cars no matter what you want to call them.

28. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

So Mike how is that Rat Rod hunting going? I love my rat Rod. I love most Rat Rods..especially Rat Rods with red rims. If I won the lottery I would get like 100 Rat Rods. I went to Subway and got a Rat Rod sandwich...

call them what you want man just have a good time and enjoy it. Its a hobby for some and a life style for others. Either way its a good way to enjoy your life and have fun. I personally will call them what ever I want to call them.

Since I'm a veteran of 2 wars and believe I earned the right to speak my mind and freedom of speech then hell Ill call them rolling ass hats....for now on they are Rolling Ass Hats. Doc you ok with that? I just want to pass everything through you sir to make sure I can say what I want to say or if Im not as "Cool" as you then I can get in tune with my Rockabilly language. All because of Rat Rod? Really?

Mike-hope everything is going well with your search and you find what your looking for. Welcome to this site.

29. Flatattack

Flatattack

How a guy is going to get enthused in this part of the hobby is beyond me. It's not as if MM289 came on bragging about his 72 Pinto in flat black with red wheels, he came on asking advice from a board full of fairly talented blokes about what looks to be a well proportioned car and a great start into the hobby.

Flaming him is lame, pointing out that the flaming would have been worse 5 years ago is even lamer. This site is growing in professionalism as that shit fades away.

So Metalshapes, please close this thread.

And Doc, PM me your address so I can send you a box of tissues.:eek:

30. [quote="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;3126634]So Mike how is that Rat Rod hunting going? I love my rat Rod. I love most Rat Rods..especially Rat Rods with red rims. If I won the lottery I would get like 100 Rat Rods. I went to Subway and got a Rat Rod sandwich...Since I'm a veteran of 2 wars and believe I earned the right to speak my mind and freedom of speech then hell Ill call them rolling ass hats....for now on they are Rolling Ass Hats. Mike-hope everything is going well with your search and you find what your looking for. Welcome to this site.[/quote]

So, you a zoomie, coastie, jarhead, gob or grunt? My salute to you!!! 30+ years with Uncle Sugar here too (part as a zoomie, part with the zoomieGuard & now as a GD DAC (civvie) with the grunts). a rose by any other name. . .:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.