Register now to get rid of these ads!

junkyard found in Beaufort SC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwiksilver, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

2. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Can you save anything? I assume is all up for grabs/free then...
    I will take all the grills and tail lights your willing to ship.

3. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

My buddy was up taking the pics today. I will see what can be done...

4. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

I'm assuming after there crushed there being shipped to china, what a shame.:mad:

5. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

OK this guy is crushing this stuff as we speak. If you want any and you can get here, talk to the guy on the track hoe and he will work it out. He is building a ramp to slide the cars into the crusher. It is on hwy 17s between hwy 21 and 95 around some african village thing about 5-6 miles off 95 on the left. Sorry but there's nothing more I can do...

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe it is the Oyotunji African Village

I went there years ago, and there were a lot of discarded old junkers around. Pretty well used up and lots of RUST. They are at the SC coast ... salt air and rust go hand and hand.

Go here for the rundown on the village

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyotunji

7. Shoprag

Shoprag

I love pics like this but at the same it bugs that someone would let the cars get that bad without trying to perserve them. A tarp and bunji cords go a long way.

8. That sucks! I hate to say it but at 8.5 or 9 cents a pound it probably makes a lot more since financialy for the owner to crush them and be done with it. Then he can move on with what ever new use he has for the property. Reality sucks.

9. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

its business... its sad but true... if i owned a junkyard... cenderblocks, tarps, bunji coards... presurve them bitches!

10. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Well crap. There goes another source for parts etc. With the internet like it is today it would be nice if owners would put this stuff on for sale before crush day but in a lot of cases they don't have the people to pull off parts even if someone wanted the stuff. Sad situation. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

11. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Some of those cars look very savable, sad to see so many desirable muscle cars go to waste not to mention the tons of parts that are there. He might make $20,000-30,000 scrapping out all of those cars but I think if he sold it all right he would make more like $50,000-$60,000 on the whole deal, I think that would be worth the time to set up a couple hundred ebay auctions.

12. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

dang so much stuff there id be grabbing.. wish i lived closer

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn it, do this guy realize how much a vintage Iron Cross goes for these days? Really though, it's a shame to see all those pieces of history gone the way of the dinosaur.

14. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

Yeah he did when he was alive! He absolutely refused to sell anything. The brother is putting a for sale sign on the property and has a contract to have it swept clean by this weekend!

15. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Boy, I'd love to get the headlight assemblies off that '59 Olds.
    If you can snag 'em, let me know.

16. I have one in the basement.......$20.00 and you pay shipping!:D

17. I'm getting so tired of the: Hoard for 50+ years, don't sell ANYTHING, the hoarder dies, then EVERYTHING is crushed stories. I tell myself that I won't look anymore but I seem to get sucked in anyway.......I just want to scream from the rooftops and tell all of these old fuckers that they are throwing away history when I see this happening...but then I remember that nobody cares..........SAD!

18. that really sucks. those people can go to hell.

19. I went there years ago, and there were a lot of discarded old junkers around. Pretty well used up and lots of RUST. They are at the SC coast ... salt air and rust go hand and hand.

I lived in Beaufort for one year (I was not in the Corp). If you go, bring your snake boots. That place is full of rattlers!!!

That's why I left!

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I really do not see the big fuss ... this stuff is JUNK ... and was JUNK years ago before the rust monster ATE THEM ...

The vehicles were just a couple hundred dollar BEATERS ( affordable to poor, almost poverty level folks ) when they were running. :eek:
    61 CAD can tell you ... the climate is NOT nice to old cars @ the coast.

Some times some good stuff goes to the crusher ... but rest assured, this is not good stuff ... a piece here and there maybe for parts but mostly it is just rusted up metal needing to go to the crusher :rolleyes:

22. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

If there is anyone out there that knows of other old iron junk yards, Still Runnin Magazine wants to know where they are so we can put it in print so fellow gearheads can go hunting and save what they can and or want. Email [email protected] if you know of others in the subject line please write "junkyard info" Maybe some of the old iron can find its way to safety and a new life! Still Runnin Magazine is about Real People, Real Stories, Real Homegrowns. Not the Rich and Famous. If you haven't checked it out go to www.stillrunnin.com We welcome your comments and opinions - it is meant to be as much as your magazine as it is ours!
    [email protected]

23. NAFTA

NAFTA
    from Europe

Theoretically one cool solution exist.
    Here in Europe we saved one Junkyard like this in Swisse with one big international "found-raising"...
    Today the area is one monumental-historic place, like many others in Norway, Sweden, Germany, Finland...
    Better that crusched...

24. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

we really need a fund or something to save these cars. heck in the sixties they were saving the Whales why not start something to "Save the Iron". with the prices of scrap its going to be hard to find these old yards and get anything.

25. NAFTA

NAFTA
    from Europe

Usually it's indispensable to find a alternative area where to park the cars.
    It's neccessary to talk with the municipality authority and the owner.
    The main subject must to be the importance for the society, culture and people of this cars. And after also for the tourist opportunity.
    With this topics many doors will be open for to find one nice solution.

Last week I saved 40 cars, americans and europeans, in this way...

26. NAFTA

NAFTA
    from Europe

Nobody trying to save this cars?
    Only mercs and 32 fords needs to save?
    Other cars are only rusty steel?
    ...no good...

27. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I dunno, alot of the trim and tailights and such on those look salvagable. Bummer that the message didn't get out sooner but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Better luck to us next time.

28. If he's scrapping them, all you should talk about is he gets the same or more money for less work on his part.

But I don't see a lot in those pictures. The '56 Plymouth with the little confederate flag is something I'd see me buying just because of that on the quarter. The Buick grille and side trim is probably worth twice what the whole car will bring scrapped at $200 a ton. The 59 Chevy and the Ford wagon aren't going to make me lose sleep if they're gone, they look pretty chewed up. The Ford even must have been wrecked once, the doors don't match.

If you start finding convertibles, those are the cars to save first, along with 2dr hardtops, 2dr wagons, sedan deliveries, and other rare models.

29. NAFTA

NAFTA
    from Europe

Nobody know the end of this cars? Everything was already crushed?...

Thanks
    E.