Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '50 Merc guys, we'll have to call this the "last ride Lincoln"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Went to a local yard today and brought this thing home, it's a 50 (I think) Lincoln Lido coupe. Doesn't look too bad from this angle

[​IMG]

Then you come around to the front and WHOA.

[​IMG]

Bought this to part it out but now that it's here I'm thinking it could probably be fixed. The front clip is wiped and probably the frame too but I don't think anyone would want to use the ugly Lincoln front clip anyway. It's got one of those big Lincoln flathead V8's still in it, pretty neat.

Here's a few more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the steering wheel. I don't know the history of it, but I don't see how anyone could have survived the crash in here. There's some 1962 licence plates in the trunk and I'm guessing it's been sitting since then.

[​IMG]

So what's the verdict? Would it be a shame to part this out? The same guy has a '51 four door with a front clip on it and a frame although the hood is really rusted and the frame may or may not be any good. On a Merc 4 door frame with the Merc front clip this could be a builder. Still has the cool Lincoln seats in it with the fold down armrest in the back. Any thoughts?

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

If you want the "dare to be different" award, use a newer chassis with the frt clip off the 4-dr car. Run it hoodless with a max-kill motor.

There's a few Fords running around like that, but no Mercs.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I can't advise "in the land of cheese'', but if it were in SoCal I'd build it.
    The sheetmetal unbolts easily and with a few hours of frame time, you
    could be on your way to a cool Lincoln/Merc build.
    To repair the roof panel, I'd suggest you put tension on the Cant rails
    prior to bumping up the damage.
    Looks like fun!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. My neighbor has several of those, most are parts cars for a convert he has.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yea, that's a great place to start. Find a Merc front clip and a subframe, and you are set. Keep the Lincoln dash, it will freak people out.

Mine was just a big a piece of shit when I drug it home.
    [​IMG]

Now, she's damn near done.
    [​IMG]

Nice score, -Abone.

6. tommy v

tommy v

7. sled

sled

What Flamedabone said,is VERY rebuildable...don't ask me why i know..sled

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I saw that and the first thing I thought was that Sled would probably be drooling over it! LOL.

Dont part it out. There's enough bones there to build a bad ass car!

9. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

I'd say build it. But you don't like the lincoln front end?

10. sled

sled

It's even perfectly the way has been smashed,ah,ah,ah!!
    trash the front end and get a merc one...and you're almost there..easy!!
    sled

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

yeah if you dont want it i'll take it off your hands :)
    I'd build that...

Tuck

12. Squablow

Squablow

Can anyone tell for sure what year it is? I figured '50 by the one grille tooth that looks to still be in it, but wasn't the 3 piece rear window a '49 only thing?

I've been following both of your builds way before I even knew this car existed. Incredible work, I just don't know if I have it in me to take on that kind of project right now. But I'd feel bad if I cut it up for parts too.

I hate those Lincoln front ends with the tunneled headlights. I know some guys like that but I think it's hideous.

Just to be clear, the '51 four door parts car that the guy has is a Mercury, not a Lincoln, so if I got it I'd be getting a Mercury frame and front clip. I used to have a couple of these Merc hoods but I sold them thinking I'd never need them, and the one on that 4 door parts car is pretty much junk. Figures.

I'll send you a PM if you're serious. Like I said, I was planning to part it out, but now that I have it I think that'd be a waste. Now I'm not sure what to do with it.

13. sled

sled

Squablow,i'm too far away to think to even buy that thing..not necessary since i have 7 mercs myself..and a 40 coupe!
    if not enuff i have located another 5/6 more,all coupes and mostly 49/50's...so plenty them around Mexico right now..enuff building material for years to come!

But it will be shame to part it out..there are many 4 doors around there that the next builder will buy and put in back togheter...i see the roof is wavy,but with some shrinkin discs you'll fix that stuff..body seems to be qwuite solid overall..plenty time saved on the long run...

Yes,it take HUGE efforts and sweat (bucks too) to build up a merc like i did..heavy for the most!you're right...so my suggestion is ,let it go to many good buildes around the Hamb family...i'm sure it can be saved easily as prooved before..

spread the word and good luck...sled

14. sled

sled

Sorry ,too fast...was meaning there are plenty 4 doors to take off the complete front end and put back to the coupe..easy and cheap way to have a almost brand new car to start with....sled

15. In today's world that's not a difficult fix. If it came here and you asked if I could save it, I wouldn't even Pause before saying of course. Front sheet metal is out there and it's a perfict canidate for a Nova clip. Pulling the stock frame if necessary back in line is not that difficule either. If you go that direction and need Lincoln A-Frame parts I have them,, cheep.
    The Wizzard

16. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

yep i rekon someone died on that steering wheel....Id be a little scared to touch it. eeww.

17. if you do part it out...i need the rear sheet metal around the tailights..

if you don't part it out and build it...I think that it really could be a cool car...

by the way...the steering wheel looks exactly like guys chest took it out. the spoke are bent back

tok

18. JAWS

JAWS

I like it, do the merc front sheet metal. I remember the lincoln is longer in the frontend. Maybe I am off though...

19. I think it's buildable!!! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!!!!

20. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I was thinkin the same as bob, DO IT.

21. daddio211

daddio211

Uh, yeah, the Lincoln can be saved. And this could be the biggest "back from the dead" story ever! Absolutely bitchin!!!

22. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

It would make a good start to a project build it.If you part it out what would you take for it ?I would be interested

23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Possibly a very early '50 as it has pushbutton door handles & the '49 3 piece backlight.

24. swamp

swamp
    from uk

if youve got the time and space to do it man.....do it!!!!
    that things got potential!!

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Build it or let someone else build it. It's way too good of a start to part out. You may make a few quick bucks parting it out, but it'll be one less Custom left to build.
    You obviously bought it cheap enough to part out, so you can't have much $ invested in it to start.
    Get that old smashed clip off and survey the frame. Maybe it can be saved. If not, it can be clipped rather than frame swapped.
    Get that replacement front sheetmetal on and you're on your way.
    Build it or sell/trade it from that point.

27. I would say fix it if there is enough car there.

28. Grunion

Grunion

Awesome

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

build it , its to cool to part out , would make an awesome sled ,

30. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

If you are going to part it out, check out the Road Race Lincoln Register, they cover '49 through '57 Lincolns and someone may have a need for parts. If you were closer I'd be interested in the 337 Flathead. This is our '49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Convertible that I'm building/restoring. [​IMG]