Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what about LEAD POSINING,,in that paint you are stripping of the ride????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam F., Sep 13, 2008.

1. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

not trying to be Nanny Be Goode,,,but

,,,i was stripping some paint off the 52 the other night ,prior to that i was avoiding welding around the lead work on the body,,,,but when i was doing grinding and welding around that area it like it was leperasy.....but ,,,back to that,,,i wAs stripping that paint off with a DA and a wire wheel and SMILING and trying to look cool just like JesseJAMES,,,,,,but as i was sitting there working ,i was thinking about,,,woew ,,this is cool,,,but is this old paint all LEADED,,or is it UNLEADeD????

do we need to avoid this shit??,,,,

wow,,my 4000'th post,,,and its about some bullshit.....

...well,,maybe at least 20 years from now after the planet of the apes arrive,,,they will log on to the hamb and say,,"UGABUGGA"...maybe ONE person wont die because of this post??

i know when i was a kid,,,i have chewed on my share of lead bassed paints cribs and everthing else and i am still alive,,but is this still ok????

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. DrJ

DrJ

Lead, Cadmium, Titanium, talc...
    Wear a mask!

On the other hand, You're probably getting Black Lung from the coal mine dust in the air anyway so don't worry, be happy...

I just scrape/chip all that old Enamel stuff off with my Grandpa's old steel scraper.

3. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

no coal mine any wear close to me Dr.J,,,that stereotype is just like saying that it
    doesnt rain in so. california...

4. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

but for real Dr.J.. if i was YOU,,i wouldnt be making fun of KENTUCKY,,,YOU are the guy driving all around so.cal in a CUSTOM FLATBED FARM TRUCK!:D :D :D

5. DrJ

DrJ

Please, The guy I bought it from told me it usta be the maintenance truck at Levenworth... ;)

When I scraped the paint off it it fell like lead to the floor and when I swept it up it weighed like it was mostly lead too.

I just cracked the Black Lung joke to maybe keep ya from being woried about croaking in your sleep tonight, that's all. :cool:

Ive been riding my bike on the beach a lot and started wearing a bandana over my nose if the wind is kicking up the sand.
    I heard Silicosis is as bad as any other crap in the lungs.

Just don't do it again without a mask, don't sweep weithout one either.

But really, If you're destined to drown, You'll never hang.

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i was fucking back at ya DrJ...:D,,,,you know you are my favorite liberal birkenstock wearing grey beard in the whole world!!!:D

,,i was just thinking about that paint ,,never thought twice before,,buti AM getting old now(just turned 35) and need to start looking out for my health!

7. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

OUCH!! Watch out Doc, I see a lead impregnated haybale headed your way.....Seriously, I always wear a mask, and never grind old lead, melt it off with a torch and scraper. I always wear gloves when doing lead work, and wash my hands after I`m finished. Old paint can be scraped off using a good heat gun, or paint stripper. I use a wire brush in my air drill and broken drill bits to get in those awkward places...still wear a paper element mask, but I worry about 30 plus years of exposure....still doing it, though, and Bill Hines is 80 plus, and he`s still going strong....

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

We've all got more Bondo dust in us than lead, so I wouldn't worry.

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

VERY TRUE! why can't they make dust mask that will work with saftey glasses???

(edit) i know someone will post something about saftey glasses that will work with a dust mask here in 1...2...3...

10. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Not sure if it was my imagination or coincidence. But I had to cut out a bad section of m A fordor. It looked like the factory had welded a seem in the spot I was going to cut and shaped it with lead. Not thinking about it I cut it with a cutting wheel. A couple of days later I got a respiratory infection. Doc said I had walking pneumonia. Now this may have been coincidence since it was the season for these kinds of bugs, or it may have been the leaded dust I was breathing. Either way from now on I am wearing a mask. I good 30 dollar mask would have been cheaper than the time I missed from work plus medical bills. Just my 2 cents.

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

I think the nicest lead I ever breathed was on a Mercedes Unimog.

Mercedes really had the lead flavour worked out by the mid 70's.

the Unimog turned out pretty nice and I got my cash out of the deal

What were we talking about?

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

No worry unless the lead is in small enough particles to breathe in, absorb through the skin, or ingest.
    So don't go making a sandwich out of that old paint, dammit!

13. I used to not think twice about old paint/bondo/rust/lead dust - but that was when I was young and dumb. (Now I'm just old and dumb!).

I always wear a cannister type mask when I'm working with this crap these days . . . God only gave me one pair of lungs, I'd like to keep as much crap as I can out of them. When I was painting a lot in my 20's, I saw lots of old body men (taught me to lead) - and just about every one of them had lungs worth crap - same with most of the older painters. The only time I saw anybody wearing a cannister filter was in the spray booth (for color) . . . everything else was done with no masks, or those crappy paper masks.

Now that I'm getting back into painting, I'm going to buy a good fresh-air system for the booth . . . the paint we use today is really dangerous compared to the lacquers that I learned with.

14. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I've put worst in my system over the years so i'm to worried about it now a days unless i hear a big 'BANG' with a burning sensation as it enters me :)

15. thads31

thads31

I'm a little paranoid about the lead stuff, especially having kids around the house/garage. I would say just avoid taking a grinder to it and clean up well afterwards. Offsite blasting the whole car is a nice option, too.

16. John B

John B

I try to be careful and safe anytime I grind on an old car. In the end you're going to die anyway, but I'd like to put it off for awhile.

The main cause of death, is living.

17. thads31

thads31

Remember, lead's effects are cumulative. Kinda like hearing loss, you don't go deaf in one day of loud noise, you go deaf after a couple decades of intermittent loud noise exposure.
    Then again, look at Bill Hines. He's still going. But, better safe than sorry I figure.

18. You have a fear of rape by Emeril?:eek:

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Awwe... I have a tear in my eye....

It's like 'old-home week' on this thread...

BAM!! How ya like me now?!!!

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, you gotta be kidding right? The old paints were just as bad if not worse than the new stuff. Don't kid yourself.

21. Brian W

Brian W

I've been using those dust masks that have the little flapper valve in the front of them and no longer have to deal with fogging safety glasses. I got mine at Lowes, 3M makes 'em.

Also my buddy and I had stripped two front fenders on a 55 Ford truck (original factory paint) and we wore dust masks and both of us felt sick for a week after that. We used wire wheels and DA. Never again will I use a device that makes that shit airborn. I'm stickin to the scraper first DA the small amount that's left.

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

When working with paint you suspect to be lead containing.....basicly
    any automotive finish sprayed prior to year 2000, Never do the following:
    Grind or DA sand any surface where two or more paint layers are present.
    With the costs involved in refinishing materials today, if you're trying to
    shoot a job over old paint material, you're fooling yourself!
    If possible, remove as much of the layers of paint, with chemical stripper,
    or by a scraper. What you don't want is to create dust from sanding. The
    dust, that contains lead, will enter your body through the lungs or skin. Once inside the body it's stored in the bone marrow ( Very bad for
    us old fucks, makes for brittle bones) and also attacks the liver, kidneys,
    the brain and for you guys still firing live rounds, can cause a low/no sperm
    count. Lead is especially hard on little kids and the aged, their systems have less ability to fight off its attack on their bodies.
    NEVER GRIND OUT A LEAD REPAIR! Heat to melt, and avoid breathing the
    fumes at all costs. Heating paint, to strip it , carries the same danger as
    sanding it ,fumes carry it into the lungs. Wash your hands after working
    with paint containing lead, and lead solder. Never eat or smoke in the shop
    while working with lead.

Is it a conicidence I have no friends, who were metalman or painters,
    who have lived into their eighties.....I don't really know!

Enough of the 'chicken little number, already!'

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

23. Glad i could be of assistance!;)

24. toddc

toddc

And, don't smoke while you are using paint stripper either. You might not live long enough to be sorry.