Register now to get rid of these ads!

The rebulding of a turd..my truck *New Pics Added*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Jan 20, 2008.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

2. rsg2506

rsg2506

Looking really good! It's amazing how many 'sins' are hidden behind bondo and fiberglass. I had a similar experience with my 48 AD. Both sides of the cowl had a huge fiberglass abortion hiding years of rot. Keep posting pics...you are doing a great job.

-RIch

3. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Great post. Like the improvements. Turds can be polished, I'm polishing my turd too!

4. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Tony, Great work! You no longer have a turd. Truck looking good. Please keep posting pics!

5. Tony

Tony

Thanks..
    I'll probably post a couple more once i get the cab work done..then it's on to hanging the front sheet metal and building all the mount's etc for that..then the bed....then the body work...etc etc..you know, the 'series' we all go through..

Tony

6. May Pop

May Pop

Tony
    Please keepbothering us with your pictures. Good work does waste our time and gives us ambition to get back in the shop.Thanks
    Ron

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very nice work. Clearly, the project is moving in the right direction. Please keep us updated as you continue.

8. Tony

Tony

Here's today's progress...
    Spent some time fitting the new pass cowl panel on after painting the inner cowl area..Then started welding it on...still need to finish it but i should have most of it done by tomorrow night..

Also finished the driver's side cowl panel too with an extra set of hand's from a friend...sure made life easier making sure both panels were flush.. That's ready to be installed now..except i havn't put the latch assemblies over there yet..
    Hopefully once i get the pass side finished up tomorrow i can get the latch in the driver's side and at least fit the cowl panel.....

That's it for now....been up since 4 am this morning plowing, went to work at my 'normal' job til 12:30 then on to the truck til about 15 minutes ago....i'm shot so it's time for some beer's and rest!

Tony

pass side coming together..
    [​IMG]

driver's side cowl panel with a set of pass side louver's spot welded in at this point.
    [​IMG]
    a little more welding..
    [​IMG]
    done!
    [​IMG]

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I've been kicking around the idea of doing the reverse of that.....make a matching crotch cooler for the passenger side.

10. Tony

Tony

Realistically, that would have probably been a better idea. At least they would be functional...but i just think these louver's look so cool there..most everyone take's them off in favor of the smooth look...me, i gotta be the moron and add another set.
    It's like instead of chopping a car, you at 2 inches to the stock roof...:D

11. Tony

Tony

So today i was only able to finish the metal work on the pass side of the cab..never made it to the driver's side..
    That's ok though....i have about 100 hour's into just this side of the cab with the door area, roof, door gaps (before the gap's were made of solid glass..they were wayyyy off), cowl and inner cowl structure for the suicide doors..and am VERY HAPPY to have it done...

i'll post more when it look's like a truck again...posting pics of the driver's side is only a repeat of what you see here..

Tony

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Looking great!!!Most people do not understand what it takes to properly repair someone else's abortion. Are you going to have it at the Showdown??

13. Tony

Tony

Thanks..my goal is to have it done by then, but honestly i don't know.
    I've been working on it everyday and even though i'm making progress, there's so much more to do.....and only a few month's if i wanna have it there..
    Hopefully it will be finished, only time will tell i guess..

thanks again.
    Tony

14. Rochlow

Rochlow
    from Vermont

Something looks very familar about those louvers!?!?!?!!? :rolleyes: Glad they are working out and it looks great!:cool:

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Looks good Tony! It's a shame you have to go through all this but,......

at least you'll know what you have under the paint when your done. And you know it will be right. No wondering...no questions to yourself about it. Whatever you do , try not to lose your momentum. I know, easier said than done with the wheather around here now!!:D

Bernie

16. Tony

Tony

Thanks Bernie..
    I think having this to work on is actually keeping my mind off the weather..that's a huge plus for me considering i HATE winter!!

Tony

17. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

this post needs more pictures

18. Tony

Tony

haha...
    well, i havn't spent the time onit i wanted to because of other thing's that came up, but it is moving along slowly..
    I took these pics a couple day's ago..

The cab is about ready for paint, which is nothing more than black single stage with flattener.. I know satin black is overdone, but it's what i like so i really don't care..
    The bed, tail gate, fender's and grill are all painted.
    The frame is done and i started putting that back together as well.
    New brake and fuel line's, just had the driveshaft shortened today, the transmission is in now too..etc..
    I'm hoping to have the body ready to go back on the beginning of next week.......

I'll post a more thorough update when it look's like a truck again.
    Until then, here's a couple of the cab and chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tony

19. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

It's looking good. The louvers on the drivers side was a great idea. Just about everything has been done to death, so don't sweat the black. A little bit of work by a good pin striper really goes a long way on flat black. It'll save you a lot of stupid r*t rod comments too. Keep it up!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  20. Hey Tony, those taller brackets sticking up off the frame for the front of the bed ?

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a bitchen dash mate!

[​IMG]

22. Tony

Tony

Thanks.. The plan so far is to flame it. I love flame's, and flame a bunch of shit in the garage like welding hemlets, my air comp etc....but none of my vehicles.. So, this will be the first.
    It'll be done Bad Bob style....meaning, very similar to the way his Merc is.
    Solid red outlined in white, and panel flamed not the whole front of the truck. As far as the rat rod comment's, it dosn't bother me..those that know, know, those that don't i could give a shit what they say..:)

Phil, yes the taller mount's are for the front brace of the bed. I went a little nut's with the mount's for it. I made them from the same stuff i made the cab mount's from. The bed floor will probably be able to hold more than the chassis is able to carry..

Hey Doc, thanks!! Your's is right on too! :D:D

Thanks fella's.
    Tony

23. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Nothing says hot rod like flames. Pretty much anything in primer, or flat black is now a you-know-what rod (according average yokels). All the work so far has been really well done, so I'm sure the paint will turn out cool. Keep posting progress pics!

24. lulabelle

lulabelle

NICE RATROD!poser.

25. Tony

Tony

whatta you know! you swing from cable's so you gotta be a little off! haha

26. lulabelle

lulabelle

I fell on my head a few too many times.
    My truck project is moving along at a salty snales pace!Would you mind trading cabs?

27. Tony

Tony

I was gonna send you a pm and find out what's up with your's..you beat me to it..
    I think at this point i'll pass on the trade..a few month's ago you mighta had a deal..i was that fed up with it..
    And you falling on your head was a thought of mine. I knew it had to be something like that :)

Now, start a thread with some progress of your's will ya!

KCK, i appreciate the kind words...

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

speaking of falling on your head...........

Lulabelle, do you ever had a running ride....

29. lulabelle

lulabelle

Yes I actually have.Thank you!

30. plmczy

plmczy

Looking good Tony, I was wondering how you where making out with it. Sounds like you have a solid plan for it. later shawn