Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you use for making a flyer for a show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studenut48, Sep 9, 2008.

1. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

I need to make a flyer for our local cruise inn and I was going to use ms word. Just curious what everyone else uses.

2. I use a greeting card program. I have Hallmark which makes some pretty good flyers. You can use images from them or add your own.

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My wife makes ours. Doesn't hurt she built ad for the newspaper for years before becoming the art director for Muscle Car Review, Mustang Monthly and a couple other mags.
    She doesn't do that any more, but has the programs. I think she uses Adope illustrator.

You can always tell a home-made flier versus a professional one.

-Brad

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd use my photo editing software. it's got all sorts of fonts and I could put some pictures on it as well.

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

6. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

a pair o scissors, tape n a copy machine - oh wait, thats how i usedta made our punk show flyers - hmm prawwly still work tho - imagination dont hurt either

7. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Creative xerography 101 Rules!!!

Jerome

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I second this idea... Oh the good old days.

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Microsoft Publisher

10. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I still make my punk show flyers that way.........

11. ryndboys

ryndboys

12. Anderson

Anderson

Adobe Photoshop

13. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

MS publisher, and Photoshop.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Illustrator......PERIOD!

15. Adobe Illustrator !!

16. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

17. vintagered13

vintagered13

And AGAIN Illustrator......PERIOD!

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I use Microsoft Picture It! I can edit pictures, add fonts, all sorts of stuff. Does't get as fancy as Illustrator, but its just a flyer for a cruise nite, not a piece of art

19. 2boxers

2boxers

20. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

LMAO, thats funny.

Being in the print industry, please don't send Publisher files to your printer. It will be fine for your home printer and maybe even Kinko's, but don't send it to your local print shop. They will hate you. Trust me!

Find someone to design you one cheap if not free. If not "find" a copy of Adobe Illustrator or InDesign. I highly recomend InDesign CS3 and the full CS3 suite.

Adobe has 30 trials for all their software.

21. haring

haring

Haha ... I was going to suggest the punk rock photocopier, tape and scissors route, and see that it's been suggested by a few guys. Rock on.

I use pencil, markers, ink, and a Mac w/
    Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign

Or get a graphic designer to put something together for you if it's not something you're enjoying yourself.

22. zacanger

zacanger

Adobe products are pretty much tops, if you can afford them. Or have a relative who does design for Deutsche Bank :-D.

Also, Quark is good for page layout stuff. If you've got the appropriate programs for things, use them. Illustrator and Photoshop are named what they should be used for -- illustrating (vectors, whatever), and photo manipulation. I've been using Quark since it was version 4, I love it.

23. NOTCH

NOTCH

Rattle can and cardboard

24. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

I'm not advocating pirated software by any means. But they do offer full versions on a 30 day trial.

Plus there is a lot of people that are willing to help out local people with artwork. I have done it in the past where I will do the artwork for a very very low cost or even free.

I would go to kinko's in a heartbeat to print small quanities of stuff. Not worth the money to have stuff printed on an offset machine. They do decent work if you stand over them and print on decent paper.

The print industry in general is a dying industry. Desktop publishing, cheap PCs, free software, and $29 home printers have a lot to do with it. Plus, advertising and print is the first thing to go in companies budgets when their business begins to suffer. It is then they need it the most to keep them in the black.

25. SeanB

SeanB

I'm in the advertising business and also happened to produce a show for 11 years. I work with CS3. InDesign is a page layout program good for type and general layouts. Adobe Illustrator is a vector based art program better suited to clean graphics and designs. Adobe Photoshop is a raster based program primarily used in photo retouching and mimicking traditional art techniques.

26. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

If you have art Do Not use word - it will be dropped out a lot and people will only see the text for the most part or can't open it at all

27. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I work in a Printshop. I hate them already for even mentioning that POS-program... :D ;)

If you want a decent looking flyer, that's the way to go.

28. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Let's put it this way...if you want a turnout that is halfway decent, have a designer make one that looks a little more professional. You want the flyer to reflect the show. You gotta spend money to make money, or get a crowd! If its done cheaply without a designers eye, people that read the flyer will think the show will be cheap and not much fun...

Just my 2 cents.

Use the Adobe CS3 suite... Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. PERIOD!

29. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Yup, Illustrator here too :D

For the home user there must be something a bit less heavyweight. Photoshop and Word would probably do it.

30. zacanger

zacanger

As has been mentioned several times, though, Illustrator is a vector art program. If you're not using images, Word works fine -- just make sure if you're not printing it yourself, you use common fonts. Alternatively, you could use whatever fonts you want, and images, and then print to a PDF file.