Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are flames dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 25, 2008.

?

Flames, Dead or alive?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2008.
  1. yes, flames died when you could get them as a sticker.

39 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No, i love em.

187 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. Who cares?

69 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff J

Jeff J

If they are,( NOT) then so are chopped tops ! If it ain't Hammerd , well then your dead!! LOL

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well I have a SOHIO sticker in my rear window,usually only the people from Ohio get it. nothing like these modern ricemobiles have though. Only because it's part of the heritage of where i'm from.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

so,
    Im guessing flames are stil okay. Cool, just checkin.

4. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I'm not much for flames and more a scallop dude, but this flame job takes the cake!
    If i ever had flames on one of my rides, this would be the inspiration for them.
    great Job, great car Bob:)

cheers,
    CAB

5. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Here's another angle of the flames on Bob's car. Photo taken at the Primer Nationals a week or so ago.

[​IMG]

6. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Lets face it. Flames are cool. Yes they got a little overdone in the 70's and 80's but nothing goes better with Hot Rod than flames. I love em when they are done right and the color goes well. Im still a big fan of the black cars with the traditional White,yellow,Orange and Red flames. Cliche? Yes. Cool as shit? Oh Yea!

8. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

Flames are alive and well in my garage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. skwurl

skwurl

Flames done right are ok. Those real flame jobs are not for rods in my opinion.

10. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Is this a Vandemon paint job? It looks like it...

11. repoguy

repoguy

Dead? I don't think so.

Massively overdone in the last 5 to 10 years??? Absolutely.

12. Flames are like fishnets. In the right place they look great, otherwise they make you want to throw up in your mouth a little.

13. Well,thanks Cab! Means alot coming from you...

14. Yes that's Steve's work. I helped a little,LOL!!! I gave him three pic's of what I wanted and he had me bless it before he started spraying. ALSO! He was cheaper than anybody I talked to, BY HALF!!!!!

15. Personally,I think my son's Shoebox is "overflamed" ,but he likes it and so do many others. I've had some guys tell me it's "too many". I'm sure when Todd painted it,he wanted something different. Now it's not uncommon to see a few cars at a show with flames over the roof and on the trunk. The other one he painted,that SanDimasguy bought,comes to mind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

don't think sooo

Attached Files:

17. WOW! That's alot of flames....

18. i think he missed a spot i can still see black. lol but it still looks good

19. JEPPA

JEPPA

For some strange reason, I like this!
    You are going to outline the flames, right?

20. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

are flames dead?----------- NEVER!

21. mcisneros

mcisneros

flames are like religous icons...... timeless and will never go out of style...

22. YEA! Like Billy Idol....

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

as long as we are showin off.

Attached Files:

24. fuzzface

fuzzface

I like flames but do agree they are over done sometimes. I do like Bad Bob's car, never get sick of seeing it. I have one car that I was going to flame but talked myself out of it but after seeing this thread I'm now undecided again. Thanks alot.

By the way, who's Kenneth Howard:rolleyes:

25. Abomb

Abomb

Much like rock n roll.......flames will never die.

I've painted flames on most of my cars, most of my harleys and I have flames tatooed on my arm....I guess the ones on my arm will die someday, though.

26. I'll always be an arsonist. My casket will flamed and striped as well as my headstone. Just preparing for where I'm going.

[​IMG]

27. Nice flames in old tin never "die", but you have to admit that some kind of depression has hit since you see them allover. Every second rag in K-mart, and stickerflames in modern Hondas conquered the market and make me vomit. The same happened to Maltese Cross, and VonDutch and you name it... Mooneyes logo next?

28. TRuss

TRuss

I used to really like flames. I think it has been established that like most anything else that they just have to be right. As of late I'm just kind of over them. However I'm really diggin very early flames the wavy scallops. I've also always been into Von Dotch's early claw like flames.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

hey cool a finnish member! entire half of my family is finn. I think the stickers are whats way overdone. I have a mooneyes icon in my old honda but it's got a lot of really unique handmade parts on it,nothing like what you usually see on the street at all. I don't have any flames though,they just wouln't look right. the main problem is that people don't have any taste anymore,they will buy anything, this explains stick on magnetic flames,and two foot tall wings. and those dam clear lights. I always thought the point of flames was to be artistic, someone is supposed to paint them and stripe them. if they are magnetic,or stickers,theres no art in it and they look like shit. If someone puts really nice looking flames on,it shouldn't matter the car,it should matter that they are real and not fake.

30. LoSoto

LoSoto

Each to their own I say....your car, you like flames, do it!...... If not, just don't. Not my cup of warm cocoa, but thats me.
    Thats what having a custom car is all about, an expression of your style and a vision of what you want to drive. Not what is to be expected by everyone else. My 2c.

By the way, there are some brilliant flame jobs on here. Congratulations to all concerned.