Register now to get rid of these ads!

The absolute worst car you ever owned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John50

John50

I was living in Kenner, LA and bought a 1986 Chrysler Dynasty in metallic gold off a "gentleman" in New Orleans East.
    No hub caps
    Cigarette burns in the velour interior
    Driver door would stick so i would have to lean over and kick it open. After a few times the window wouldnt roll up.
    The shocks were completely gone in the rear so it would bounce like i had hydralics.
    Biggest hunk of shit i have ever driven or had the dis-pleasure to drive in.
    I had hoped somebody would steal it and i could get something for it but i wasnt lucky enough for that.
    I ended up donating it a local church charity for the tax right off.
    I hope they sold it for scrape metal.
    The car would die while driving 70 mph on the highway. It was an adventure driving the "D-nasty".

2. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

86 Dodge Caravan, for more power i would turn the air off when accelerating off a stop light. Don't ask why I bought it. Ran just fine, but very underpowered.

3. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

1990 Park Avenue.

It just liked to be an annoying piece of shit.

4. 51stockshock

51stockshock
    from limbo

I bought a possesed '69 jeep gladiator that had a ? 360 buick in it....drove it fron san fran to ventura county no problem.......something went strange with the wiring and I wrote it off and sold it....damn truck tried to kill me a couple time

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  5. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I had an '84 Blazer with a quadrajunk on a tired 305, trying desperately to turn a TH400 through the stock gears, running 33" tires. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, didn't matter, 'accelerated' the same rate no matter what. got 8-9mpg no matter what and had absolutely zero power. the engine made just enough roaring noise to know that I was pouring fuel into the intake at a garden hose rate of flow, as opposed to just having a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank.
    but I jumped the hell outa that thing at the sand dunes, I have no idea how I didn't break any leaf springs or other suspension components. I beat that pos worse than any rental car has ever seen. I hated it. I still hate it. I'm actually raising my blood pressure writing about it right now.

6. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

My sister-in-law bought a new Chrysler 300 (2007), on the way home the "Check Engine" light came on. Took the dealer 90 days to figure it out. I once told a senior vp at Chrysler to shove my 1977 Dodge van up his ass. I don't give a shit how "cool" the new shit from Chrysler looks, it's still shit. Fuck MOPAR!!!

7. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

thats sooo punk rock.

8. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!

I only drove old stuff, but when I got w/my now wife (18 years ago) I have went through several front wheel drives that I bought for her to drive, and everyone one of them had transmission problems. Biggest pos idea is front wheel drive, I dont give a fuck who makes it, new or used, -garbage!

Shit is just crammed under the hood, can't work on them, and everything just goes out in no time, fuckin transaxles! I dont even want to go there, Clicking ass junk! Shitty motor mounts you name it.

The last one I had I owed about $3000.00 on it, (95 Taurus, in 98) and I gave it to a friend that wanted it, just make the payments.

I will only let my wife drive rear wheel drive cars, and life has been much better.

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Don't you just think the new Chrysler 300's with the fake Rolls Royce or Bentley grills and 24" wheels are really bitchen?
    Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, it just sucks and so does OKC!"

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

11. You know, my parents bought a '75 LeMans I think when it was about 2 years old, it's the first car we had that I remember at all. I don't remember much about what was wrong with it other than my dad already touching up rust spots with a can and a brush by 1979. New York Road Salt to thank for that one. Whatever all went wrong with it turned them off to GM, so they traded it in on a brand new 1980 VW Rabbit.

That was a bigger mistake. Not that it was too terrible of a car for a little shitcan on wheels, but on a trip to Pennsylvania the cat converter fell apart, overheated the motor, warped the head, and the car they'd paid $6800 for in 1980 they sold in 1986 for $600. We only even got home because I remembered seeing a garage with a lineup of old Bugs outside, we managed to nurse it back and they put a straight pipe on it for us to get us back home. While I had a great time checking out all the old VWs - at least one was an oval window.

Then my dad bought a new Ford that actually wasn't that bad of a car - but it was rear wheel drive (87 T-bird). I can't remember what we had between the two, now.

12. floored

floored

I've had a few, 85 turbo coupe had an appetite for turbo's.

My wife had a 91 Aerostar it lost the a/c at 24,600 miles took it to the dealer they said it would be $75 for a recharge, then they call my wife and tell her it's gonna be $2200 because the whole system needs replaced. I go to the dealer, the tech takes me to look at at the problem and he's got the whole freakin system out of the car. I go to the service manager and he start's in on how I should have bought the extended warranty, BIG MISTAKE, when I got done chewing on his ass about why I should pay so they could build junk, I told him to put it back together, he about shit! He told me my wife couldn't go without air?? I said I would take it to a shop downtown that does add-on air for $800, oh and by the way the estimate was for $75 so don't think I'm paying anymore. They fixed it for $400. It Also looked like it was painted in a sand storm, they told me it was effect's of acid rain.

The worst though by far was my 95 Impala SS, way too many problem's to list. So just a few, water pump, manifold seal, opti-spark, coils (2), bad clear coat, and the fasteners holding the window's to the regulators would break. It was a fun piece of shit to drive, traded it for an Astro van and never looked back.

13. HMS PH

HMS PH
    from Idaho

1960 Corvair, need I say more? Worst 6 weeks of my life!

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

hey hey hey now got 300000 plus on one of those" problem" transmissions, still shifts like brand new. its a manual not a slushbox, put 700000 miles on another one no problems,they are hard to get to shit though. been working on them for 20 years.

15. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I had an early 90's beretta with a 3 speed auto, trans worked flawlessly. popped a head gasket or two after 6 months of redlined starts, drove it that way a couple weeks until it would shut off every 15-ish minutes from overheating. the most common problem with that car was I had to constantly replace the lower a-arms up front. that may have had something to do with curb hopping and offroading it...

16. 62rebel

62rebel

two 1986 Fox LTD's. 3.8v6's, both... need i say more?
    i've had somewhere around 160 cars since 1982; those two stick way out in front. like two tin boobs. all rusty, and saggy. i used to like Fox body cars...

17. badlefihand

badlefihand

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

AMEN!! I remember having one as a kid and even as young as i was i knew it was a complete POS Hey why is the car smoking? why are there holes in the floor? hey something big just fell off!! HAHAH that brings back memories, I remember my dad saying only tell me if it's a big part that fell off. and we bought that car new. came with the factory rust option .

19. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

'93 S-10 blazer. Blew out a freeze plug the first day I got it. Eventually cracked one of the heads and filled the exhaust port with coolant everytime is sat a couple hours. Filled the highschool parking lot with white smoke when I started it to drive home. Lucky thing I got rearended by the principal's son in mom's minivan, and I got 1500 more than I paid in insurance money.

20. 067chevy

067chevy

1974 Monte Carlo. What a peice and it was right up there with the 79 trans am

21. You know, I've had so damned many cars I'd forgotten the biggest POS I owned.

a '77 LeSabre. Now it wasn't really a bad car, except it had the Pontiac 301 corporate motor in it. I paid $400 for it with about 135,000 on it and didn't pay close enough attention to the warning signs.

So one cold morning at college, with no warning, it started hammering rods. I made it about 7 miles towards home before it threw not one, but two of them. One broken into three pieces at that.

I bought another high milage 301 off a kid there for $100 and put it in the car. It ran, but it would get about 10 miles and overheat. So after having it towed the last 10 of 35 miles home and having to stop three times to let it cool down, I put it in the paper. The guy who showed up with cash had $275 and I took it.

And that was that. The interior was clean and the body was pretty solid, and I didn't think it was a bad looking car - it even had factory rally rims. But the tires sucked, too, I spent 20 minutes one night trying to get up a fairly gentle hill with a skim coat of snow on it, sliding sideways the whole way on the open rear. May have had something to do with the shortened engine life, but I also think it was getting coolant in it.

But I'll never own another 301 powered car again - unless it's for a demo derby. I've parted out 301s since the oil pan, oil filter adapter, front cover and distributor all go right on any other Pontiac motor - but that's it. They're crap.

22. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

My worst was a '86 Dodge Ram 50.... I bought it because it was cool looking and I wanted a little truck..I was 17 and dumb.... the next day it blew the head gasket, had it fixed, then it ran like shit with no power and burned about 5 quarts of oil a week, had the worst valve clatter ever, the floors were like swiss cheese, rockers consisted of expanded foam and fiberglass, had terrible water and air leaks, and the cab mounts rotted off and the cab was held up partially by the exhaust... The best two things that happened? The driver's door popped open when I was driving once and I almost fell out of it.... the day I sold it I drove it home and one of the rockers literally broke off the rocker arm assy and put a hole in the valve cover. Another valve cover fixed it and I threw the rocker away... Bought it for $1800 - 8 months later I sold it for a $1000.

I do like weird vehicles... My new potential worst car is a Porsche 928, with a multitude of electrical problems and coolant leaks, but it runs like a raped ape... It was cheaper than a Mustang and people think I am loaded...

I also have a Subaru Justy that has an interior made of duct tape.... The previous owners were mexicans, I pulled about 3 miles of speaker wire and electrical tape from the interior... Not sure what was going on there... They also repainted the interior in addition to the exterior at no extra charge...

23. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

84 S-10 V6 5spd. Purchased new. Leaked oil from rear main from day1. Dash went up in smoke the first week, had to replace clutch slave cylinders on a regular basis, no guts, a 68 VW with a burnt valves could beat it in a drag race:mad:.
    AC sucked but the heater worked good. To bad I live in Socal.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  24. Roadsir

Roadsir

As soon as I got my license I needed a winter car every year so I could park my 40.
    Every winter was a new beater, tyically $75 to $250. A 65 Pontiac Star Chief Executive, 65 Chev Biscayne, 64 Dodge 440, 71 Ford LTD, and more. All four doors and all named "Ghetto Cruiser' I, II, II etc.

The worst was the 65 biscayne for $75. Notorious for frame rust in these parts. It needed to make one winter and then I thought I could pull the 283.
    First hard launch the transmission crossmember broke free. With nothing to weld to I used muffler clamps through the floor pan. It held together throught the winter.
    In the springtime I left an intersection and the lower left trailing arm broke out of the frame. I limped it to the gas station where I worked. I had just doubled the value of the car the day before by filling it up. So I cut and crimped the gas line, used a side cutters to cut the tank strap, pulled it out and drained it into my brothers 69 2dr Biscayne. Then called the scrap guy. The 283 was too weak and used a quote every 100 miles. It was a real POS. It did use less oil than the 73 Dodge Dart 318 4 speed car I had...It used a quart of used oil every 50 miles. Blow by was everywhere!

25. snap daddy

snap daddy
    from Omaha, NE

'82 Camaro....2.8 V6 w/ a 4-speed stick. Completely gutless, so I could'nt keep up w/ interstate traffic with the a/c on. Came to a red light late one night and the oil pressure gauge went to zero, so naturally I HAD to see how far it would go! I made it another 3 or 4 miles with the lifter noise making my hair curl, then it lost power and just plain shut off. Walked the 2 more miles home. Next day we towed it to my dad's shop and I put an oil pump in it. POS ran fine, at least for the 2 more days I owned it!!

26. Were they inspirational quotes? :D

27. skwurl

skwurl

VW dube buggy. It smoked like a train but was fun.

28. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

1970 Newport. I am pretty sure it ran only on ether and starter fluid, the power steering locked up when it got moist, the heater worked only when it was hot outside. My father caught me standing on the piece of shit hammering away at it with baseball bat and suggested maybe I find an alternative car......

29. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

1984 Mustang with a 4 banger. I paid $200 for it and got about $20 bucks worth!

After I replaced the intake manifold that exploded on me on the side of the road and it developed a serious rod knock, we decided to hack the roof off and offroad the POS near the Mexican border till it died!

Hitched back home, reported it stolen and gave it up once it was found!

Oh yeah, good times!

30. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Overall this thread shocks me with the non-mechanical view some folks are taking on the worst car they every owned.

To me, paying a couple hundy for a late model beater with over 100K then calling it a piece of shit just isn't a gearhead maneuver, it's what your clueless nephew does.

So the car you beat merciliessly and jumped over railroad tracks ate transmissions. Yep, that car's a piece of shit.

So the door stops working, and the repair method of kicking it open breaks the window mechanism. Yep, that car's a piece of shit too. When will the manufacturers finally make window switches that can withstand a strong kick?????

Your $400 rust belt car that's recieved annual washes since new has structural rust issues, yep another piece of shit.

You guys that had mass failures on newish cars got my full sympathy, everyone else got what they paid for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.