Register now to get rid of these ads!

My son doesn't like cars, but my daughter does?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Heavy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. slepe67

slepe67

consider yourself lucky...I have an 11 year old boy, and a 13 year old girl, and niether of them like cars. Well, they like cars, but not working on them...whatever, my wife's knocked up again, so maybe the little man will be a car nut. I even dropped hints to my 13 year old, that she'll be driving in 2 years, and if she wants a sweet car to drive in high school, there's one in the garage she can have IF she works on it...needless to say....it still sits there

2. That sucks, John. He dosen't even know a sexton from a sextant.;)

P.S. I realize that was probably a typo, I'm just messin' with ya.

3. drflex

drflex

4. fuel

fuel

Uhh, can I get your girl cousin's number? LOL. A model that can rebuild a flathead? And she has a JOB!!! Dude, if I dated here I would think I had died and gone to heaven. Are you sure she's not a foot model or something? :D

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

My son doesn't like cars, but my daughter does?!

I'd have a DNA test done to be sure he's mine. maybe got switched at the hospital... them babies all look alike to me

6. maybe hes just at that age where these old cars are no that cool to his friends. give him time and he will be all over them when hes older.

7. Me with fishin'! My dad dragged me fishin' when I was little and and for years after that. Once I was outta there my fishin' days were over with (for the most part).

8. Whoa, pretty harsh! Funny though.

9. I had two daughters. Oldest could give a shit less about cars. her younger sister was a different story. Was a tom boy and a kick ass soccer player. Loved to be out in the garage with me. When she was 14 we got into vintage VW's. She loved to work on her 58 rag top. I had a 56 rag top, and we drove them to shows from Bakersfield to San Diego. She would work all day Saturday cleaning and polishing that bug for a Sunday show. She sold the bug and went off to college. She's got two daughters now, and says some day she's gonna' have another old VW. That's my girl! :D

10. zacanger

zacanger

I'm that way with my parents.... They don't see how I could possibly be interested in cars, since they've tried so hard to turn my into a doctor or a lawyer or some such. And I don't understand how they can not care about cars as more than just a way to get from home to work and back.
    On a similar note, no one around here (at work, friends, whatever) understands why I'd be into hot rods. Gas mileage and "Made In Japan" are cool in this area.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm a firm believer that it is either in your blood or it is not. I think a person can have both positive or negative influences that help direct interests and passions but if it's truely not there or truely is there, that passion, or lack of, will shine through in the long run........no matter the make or model of the child.:D

Me and my sister grew up exactly the same. We are one year and 10 days part and got the exact same toys as children, and I mean exact. She couldn't be more opposite from me, no interest in cars at all and a stay at homebody. How does that happen with the exact same upbringing and influences? My opinion, it's internal.

Because of cars I do believe you and your daughter will have a closer relationship then you even think is possible and that closeness will last forever. Your a lucky guy.

12. Paul Y

Paul Y

I have 3 sons and a daughter, 5 years old.

She came into the garage the other day and took a big 'sniff' turned around to her mother and said....

"I love the smell of cars"

I thought my heart was going to burst with pride.

Right up to the point that my wife kicked me in the shin and told me I had 3 sons, she was her's!

I wouldn't worry about it, the eldest pair used to race karts to a very high standard then discovered girls and football, they are slowly drifting back to cars now.

My youngest boy, well you just cant keep him out of the garage.

[​IMG]

P.

13. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I know what you mean, my 10 year old daughter loves my 55 chev and loves riding in it and really loves it when I tickle the go pedal but yeah, I'm afraid she'll grow out of it too:(

14. i dont see the problem, dont be bigoted, buy your boy a pink Honda and help your daughter build a rod and and just go with the flow, better 1 cool kid than non right?

15. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i'm a junior in high school, and people ask me all the time WHY i drive an "old" truck (its only 1969, too new for me haha) and why i care so much about what i drive. theres only a few selected people at my school who get it, but they like the newer old stuff, like 70's.

the rest of the people could care less about what they are driving. one day last school year, i found a hubcap on the side of the road, quickly put it on a car with no hubcaps, its still on there to this very day. they all talk more about sports or skateboarding, or how much theyre gonna drink the following weekend, or how drunk they got last weekend,and its extremely sickening.

16. I've told my story about my two sons before. The younger one LOVES old cars,music,pin-ups,old movies,etc! The older one changes his mind every ten minutes. He's had some cool cars but doesn't care about anything! I'm done with his bullshit,so the next car's on him! The younger is buggin the shit out of me to drive his car...They are all different! I'm hoping to leave my Merc to a grandkid someday...

17. Oh hey, like said above - CHERISH the moment with your daughter! Reminds me of a counter gal I hired once at the ford garage. She was young and just loved being around cars. She absorbed the parts stuff like a sponge. Wasn't long till she could nearly run the counter be herself. sometimes a customer or new tech would raise an eyebrow when she waited on 'em but she got to readin' em pretty good. After awhile I got a kick out of they way she handled 'em. She'd ask 'em "you need a screw for that?" or "got nuts?" and that would do it. One of the best counter 'guys' I ever had.

18. im from a family of gear heads, my mom is one my dad is one, im one, all my cousins are (male and female) ,both sets of grandparents are all my aunts and uncles are to (9 on my dad's side and 6 on my mother's), but you never know, my firs kid might end up a non gear head and ill be fine by that.

19. LesterB

LesterB

my 17 year old son is into skateboarding also. he thought old cars were ok, but didnt have much of an interest, until i drug home a 54 customeline 2 door. hes taken over the project pushed out of the way and is goin to town. he is now uor clubs first legacy member. he's building it rockabilly style. and he still skates. so someday it might bite your son in the ass, hard and he'll start building.

20. 53Heavy

53Heavy

thanks to everyone for the feedback. i'm looking to get the girl a hotrod!

21. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

awsome!!!teacher HER everything.

22. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

ol'skool29
    - I know exactly what you mean, but as people age they appreciate more. In college people, seemed to really dig cars or at least more than in my HS. Although some of their conversations remain the same in regards to the weekend, they could understand that a person could like a car for what it was capable of and its personality.

23. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

i hope my daughter is in to the same shit im into if i ever have one...beats the hannah montana bullshit most young girls are into

24. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

hahahahah, that was the greatest expression ever. But anyways, football is overrated now, id rather watch hockey any day.

im only 19, but ive been into cars since i was tiny, i just never had a "father figure" or knew anyone who was into cars. turned 18, bought a ricer, sold the peice of shit, bought a 67 lincoln continental, took it apart, couldnt figure out how to put it back together so i sold it. bought a 65 f100, took it apart, slammed it, built a motor, and painted in myself.

But also you cant push kids to want to do something, everyone has their own hobby right!

25. 51stockshock

51stockshock
    from limbo

yea, when I was 14 I got my permit the day I could and my license followed shortly after..I tortured my parents pretty relentlessly. I think my little boy will be the same...... oh god:eek:

all kids are different:rolleyes:

26. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

funny - i think my first son is going to be a 'gasp' a sports guy LOL allthe guys i work with - their dream is to have a football star kid - like you id love to have a greaseball like me in the garage - sometimes if you try too hard shit backfires - maybe we should try to push video games and sports on em and let them dress like fags - then maybe theyll become greasy fukkers like us
    ok maybe not

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I think my father-in-law used to beat my wife on how to take car of her car. When she got her new car (1985 and still driving it), she got the manual out and started making notes. When the book said to change belts, she did it. Change oil, she did it. Rotate tires, she did it. Have this or that checked, she did it. 24 years later and 150,000 the car still runs like a top.

28. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Well, you know, even the strongest efforts can backlash, as in the boy is tired of cars. My step-daugther has never shown interest until I married her mother and now we're of to car related meetings or races whenever we can. She's so cool, when I told her I wanted to sell the chevy she moaned and said she'll give me all her savings so I could keep it. Of course I bought another car when the chevy sold.....

Attached Files:

29. bathcollector

bathcollector

My 3 1/2 y.o. girl and 2 1/2 y.o. boy love coming to swapmeets and carshows with me, can,t keep them out of the shed when i,m working on the F100. Shelby wants to learn to weld, she might show me up :)

30. zzford

zzford

Get him to a exorsist, quick !!!