Register now to get rid of these ads!

Came close to punching out a junk collector...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I always ask them to repeat what I just said. For example;
    Water filtration system?!...."I'm not interested"....they go on and I ask them "what'd I just say?!"

Wants to buy my car?!...."it's not for sale".... they ramble on and I reply with "what'd I just say?!"

Works for me without starting a war.

2. belair

belair

My thought exactly.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

We have a winner!

4. duste01

duste01

HA, thats great!!!!!!!!

I work at night, and my wife had to deal with the same thing while I wasnt home. I have my 53 f100 sitting in the driveway. Its flat black...and rust. but it'll put a hurt on ya if I can afford the gas. So if its not painted purty it must be junk! My wife is getting pretty good with them though, I have to give her alott of credit, she has better people skills than I as well. It could be that guy came to my house after you ran him off!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had a garage.

5. Thats kinda funny. What an ass though

6. I threaten the bible thumpers and people selling crap when they step foot in my driveway. I had some kid the other day try to sell some crap call me a Fin A$$hole on my porch through my livingroom window and when I started to walk out my door and get ready to kick his ass and he turned and ran away.
    I have had 2 no soliciting sighns ripped off my house and people just ignore the one that is up now.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Ever know anybody who was employed by a city to do anything involving code enforcement? I'm guessing no.

Soooooo. You had the guy who ultimately decides if the inspector will keep visiting in the palm of your hand. He didn't write the citation personally, just managed the dude that did. Turns out the boss is a car guy too, you hit the F-ing old car owner's jackpot. You're poised to relate with him as one car enthusiast to another and make city inspector problems PERMANENTLY go away POOF!

But you didn't.:rolleyes:

8. blown41

blown41

Yeah, gets my vote too. The only down side is you might end up with his truck!

9. As long as he doesn't offer to include his wife for another $20.

10. wc chopper

wc chopper

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've never seen two cheeks above a persons shoulders before.... that would have been great to follow up with some pics!!

12. skwurl

skwurl

Nothing is sacred anymore. Its all about money

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats easy fixed, just tell him....
    I dont eat swine, its a filthy animal.........

14. There's nothing wrong with money, as long as you work for it, not steal it or dig it out of the trash.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It gets worse. Last year this was going on around here, but the scrap metal buyers around here are very cautious anymore. They have to get pretty good identification from the sellers now, and keep records on anyone they buy from. The following isn't Kansas City specific, but shows how widespread the problem is.....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=grave+marker+theft

16. dixiedog

dixiedog

Worse than fucking raccoons and yard sale rats. "Give you 25 cents for that antique fan" that is marked at $5 - get the fuck outta here you piece of shit.

17. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I had a guy stop buy when I was working on my 60 ford. He said "I'll give ya $100 for that pile of junk". I knew he meant my truck, but I had a small pile of scrap sitting next to it, maybe twenty pounds. I said sure, and took his money and asked if he wanted me to load it in my wagon and pull it out to his truck. He figured it out pretty quick, got pissed and asked for his money back. I gave him his cash, and he stomped away all pissy. I wonder why?

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hahaha, should have kept it Dan! :D

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It gets worse. A friend of mine's Dad died a few years ago. My friend was very close to his Dad later in life, taking the old man on trips to Ireland/Scotland/England and South America/Antarctica among others. After he died, my friend took the time and effort to make a specialized sculpture/grave marker for his Dad. It was welded steel and quite impressive, both for it's size and the artistry that went into it. I knew the old man quite well too, so we have a tradition of buying a bottle of the old man's favorite Irish whisky on the aniversary of his death, and visiting the grave. We each take a slug of whisky and pour the rest on the grave for his Dad. Well, you guessed it, last month when we went up there (beautiful gravesite on top of a hill), the marker was gone. Thinking that the cemetary people may have removed it, because it was a little out of the norm, we went and talked to them. Nope, they have the same problem, many bronze markers, indeed anything with any amount of metal, disappears overnite. They had to put on extra security. God Damn tweakers.:mad:

20. Black Magic

Black Magic

The guy is a dum ass. Good luck with the cars.

21. I remembered another one. My folks had a cool piece of wall art, very unique, a shrimp boat made of various metals. I never knew what happened to it. All of a sudden, it's in my sister's garage, it's not cool to her, I can have it. My roomate bring that and some furniture she no longer wanted. The shrimp boat got left in the driveway, and was gone in a hour. I know, because I was home hung over and saw it through the window. I ment to go out and get it, but they were too quick. At least they stepped right over the six-pack I'd dropped in the driveway the night before.

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

Actually the guy who wrote the ticket was the same guy and at first my cars were "junk" and then he wanted one. So, you are busting my ass for no reason.

23. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Your lucky. I have had dipshits who have taken things IN my yard, where they only sat for a few hours while I tried finding a place for them. And snooping at things IN my yard, and they get defensive when you ask - "What they are doing?" - They respond "Checking out the junk." - "Its not junk." "Well then you shouldn't keep it out in your yard, like its junk?" WTF? That ones been passed around quite a bit. Whats worse is they troll around my neighborhood like sharks. I've been witness to a confrontation between competing ones. Pathetic, really.

24. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I 'baited' a junkman into stopping in front of my house one night by putting out a few scraps with the regular garbage. When I heard them pull up, I said, "hey you want that, I got more for ya!" and led them to the pile of fenders, steel wheels, radiators and gas tanks next to my garage I just wanted to be rid of. Mixed in but separate from all of this pile, there were 4 aluminum Lincoln rims I was saving for a rainy day. Nothing rare, but I wanted them. When the last bit of steel was gone, he asks "what about them wheels"? I said "No, I want those". And they left, seeming happy with my generous offerings they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. they probably made $200 bucks off me that night in scrap.

Guess what was gone from the side of my garage when I got home from work the next day? Yep, the rims. (Out of sight from the street, BTW)

Moral? Next time, I'll bring them what I want, instead of showing them where the goods are. And I never leave anything of scrap value out anymore. Good thing my garage door was closed. Yes I have a dog, and yes I have it all locked up when I'm not around. Yes I have motion sensors.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  25. ems customer service

ems customer service

your living in a sheltered world, he saw all the stuff in your garage tools, scrap, etc. this was the reason to approch you and talk.

scoping out the garage before he comes back and steals your stuff, i would advise that you really secure your garage, especially if there is a side or rear door that is out of sight. run pad lock through the track so it can be opened. there's gonna be a burglery.

and dont be afraid the talk to the police, ask to see community relations officer he/she can get you a meeting with a higher up officer. they really like the conversation to help prevent this stuff.

26. caddyman65

caddyman65

I was reading the local paper the other day with my coffee and saw an article about a local guy that had 2 of his cars stolen when he was at work. His friend saw one on a trailer and called him up thinking he might just be having it taken to another shop.The owner knew what was happening and had his friend run down to the local salvage yard. When his friend got there his newely restored 73 Caprice w/ only 53,000 miles had allready been crushed as well as the new yorker they got earlier in the day.The guy that stole the cars only got $300 a piece....and then arrested.Apperently in N.C. the law says that any car over 10 years old can be crushed without a title or any proof of ownership.... [​IMG]

27. Man, it's one thing if you had stuff in the driveway, or even leaning against the outside of the garage - what an A-Hole!

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

Around here they STEAL cars out of people's yards. At least this guy asked and tried to pay you!

29. I have a couple neighbors............just like that junkman. They completely lack the ability to see the intrinsic value in anything-- including other people AND themselves.

People like that pay their own price for thinking like that. For instance....they end up a junkman :).