Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Hillbillyborn" injection update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No real progress to date. It has kinda stalled on the bench....BUT I am going to be doing the same sort of creature for an inline that I'm working on for my 30 coupe.
    As soon as I get my new milling machine dialled in I'll get to work on it and post updates ....Stay tuned!

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've got mine up and driving, looking back at this thread, has it been 9 MONTHS? That can't be right????

I've still got some dialing in to finalize, but the Megasquirt runs well!:D

3. I'd rather see an obviously home built fuel injection on a traditional rod than a 1-800 made unit that looks like old carbs.

I'll bet a lot of the prototype mechanical fuel injection set ups of yore were carved out of blocks of aluminum and tested before they were tooled up for production.

And, for the edification of the younger crowd here there is nothing new about "billet". Fifty and sixty years ago kids in high school machine shop classes were whittling fuel blocks, and all sorts of stuff for their rides. It was actually cool to have a machined and polished aluminum knob on your shifter.

I'd write more. But it is time for my Geritol.

4. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Missed this thread the first time around. Great work. Please keep us updated.

5. Ironic, I was thinking about the status of this thread today!

My 250 Six will want something similar down the road.

6. roddinron

roddinron

Right on, as one of those guys in high school shop class I think the Geritol (young guys are wondering WTF is Geritol) crowd needs to say things like this more often, hell if the Barris brothers could have gotten their hands on a CNC machine, their cars would have been covered with it(thank God they didn't though). There's nothing wrong with billet, if it's in the right hands.

7. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

WOW, thats some awesome work! I was just talk to a friend about building something like yours. I'd like to see more, please. Which injectors and computer are you using?

Saint

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Awesome...

Keep us posted on the progress, please.

9. KARASKUSTOMS

KARASKUSTOMS
    from Mesa, AZ

That's pretty cool, nice machine work, and lots of it.

How did you make the butterflys and how are you attaching them to the shafts?

10. You clever bastard! Nice work.

11. Pretty cool. I really like the aluminum stacks.

You probably want to cut those shafts in half and place a coupling between the two. As that massive aluminum intake heats up the shaft bores will no longer align and the shaft will bind. The coupling lets everything function.

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 65 impala

65 impala

jethro my neighbor thats some insane work would love to see it some time:cool:

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon down!...beer's cold in the coke machine!

15. i like it.

now im going to have to do one for me, in copper and brass with modified diesel injectors and a mechanical pump.. and offset them oddly cause im odd like that.

16. Good to hear! I remember back on the DIY FI Board (back when it was hosted by Ohio State) all of the discussions and was happy to hear that some of the better quality contributors, Bowling and Grippo, made a run at a real system -- The MegaSquirt. Very cool.

17. mulle

mulle
    from sweden

18. Pickup39

Pickup39
    from Australia

What's the latest on this injection setup? Awesome work

19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing more to report on this one. I worked the bugs out of my inline injection setup for my 292 Chevy that's going in the Model A. I think the " 8 stack" will maybe go on my 39 Chevy when I redo it but I'm working on the firetruck right now.....so..... um..... yeah nothing new to report.

20. Just a reminder, in Stu Hillborns time, traditional was a horse! (not many cars around 50 years before the 50s)
    Chucks of well machined aluminum excite me!

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Ahhhhhhhhhhh good.The DIY ethic is alive and well on the H.A.M.B.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo