Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street racers....What's the worse ass whoopin you ever got street racing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Be truthful now.
    What's the nastiest beating you ever took street racing?
    Did you get your clock cleaned by a sleeper?
    Were you asleep at the lights?
    Were you flat-out bad??
    Did your momma tell you to ease off?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. blackout

blackout

3. Other way around....wife says do what you have to and I blew the doors off of a 5.0 Mustang.

J&JHotrods likes this.
  4. chopdtop

chopdtop

Street racing isn't a good thing. Last week a guy test drove a car and was street racing and killed a 74 year old guy.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

For me it was late in the night. Running down at Lower River Road in vancouver WA. heading home and as I was leaving a white 70's dodge van wanted to know if I wanted to race for fun as we left (only one way in and out). laughed and said sure. even gave him the start as it made no sound and looked like the guy just wanted to feel big running a camaro..

Guy dropped the hammer and the van launched. Got me by 4 lengths before holding steady.. I not expecting the hard launch and the fact I could not catch him. Get to the end and the guy pulls over and gets out laughing.

come to find out, he had sticky tires and a 500 hp tunnel rammed 440 in the back.

After that I have always expected the worse when running a sleeper.

6. SHRUM

SHRUM

I was cruzing memorial in tulsa in a 5.0,and pulled up to the stop light. Right in front of all the mustang crowd,well a old man pulled up in a 80's elcamino. I looked at my buddy and said you think he wants to race? My buddy said you better watch out he has weld rims on that thing. So I dropped her down into first--- got ready----- light turns green--

all I saw was tailights as he drove away like I was standing still.
    I can still hear the mustang guys laughing.

Saw him 2 weeks later at the drags. I parked way away from him.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

1970-Had a 70' 340 Dart Swinger,beefed up Torqueflite,3.91 Sure Grip, Edelbrock high rise, 750 Holley, headers, lifted all around, Cragar SS. Car was Orange with a Blacked out hood and twin scoops. Did a lot of street racing before I finally found my way to the track. Raced a 56' Chevrolet Bel Air Post car one night with an I-Beam axle up front and a Pont rear; 427 4 speed car. I knew I'd get beat, but I got STOMPED. This was through the bridges of the Marysville flats between Everett and Marysville, Washington. No place for the cops to hide. 18 years old, paid cash for the car new, and got 9 tickets in the year I had the car before I got invited to go exploring with Uncle Sam. Only car other than Chevrolet I ever owned.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  8. Portland,Oregon fall 1975-3 tickets total in 1975 was 1200bucks ended up over the hood of my car on the tv news in handcuffs,had my car towed & was asked to leave Rose City Street rods (took 5 years to get back in)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i got whooped by my buddy in his chrysler sebring GTC, driving my 3.8 V6 powered 84' Monte carlo, 4,300 LBS should not be moved by a V6.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A friend of mine was at the street races in the San Fernando Valley. It was a slow night and nothing was going on. Towards the end of the night, a group of guys from Compton walked up and asked him if he wanted to race his '56 Chevy wagon against a Cuda. He said sure and took off for Glenoaks and Peoria. He arrives and no one is around. Then he hears this uncocked car fire up and it comes around the corner. It's called "The Soul Brothers Cuda" with a destroked 340. It does a burnout and yanks the front wheels. My friend walks up to the guys and hands them the money. He saids, "What the point?". They laugh and say they trailered all the way out from Compton and just want to run the car. Needless to say, the '56 got spanked!!!

11. :rolleyes:
    Lotta GREAT stories about lower river road in the 70s...imcluding when the cops came outa nowhere and busted a bunch of us,anyone remember the dualplug hemi mopar,real sleeper,loved sittin by the barn for hours on end watchin the races and runnin a few then crusin back to the DQ or back over the river to Portland

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I raced a 11 second big block powered 55 chevy in my stock Ram Air III GTO. I got a big ol head start and he passed me pretty quick.

Fremont had quite a bit of steet racing going on in the 70's and early 80's.

13. Years ago my buddy had a Suzuki bike that he had built to the hilt. We had all heard about a guy that lived about 30 miles away that had a Yamaha built strong and that had never been beat. We took off for this guys town and went looking for him. Finally found him and the race was on. My buddy got his clock cleaned big time. After the race my buddy told the other guy that his bike was just stock and the other guy says - yeh, it ran like it. Ouch!
    Later,
    Dick

14. toddc

toddc

I got beaten by a Camry once. Very sad day...

15. When I came home with 5 tickets from the police and my ol-man found out. The ass beatin was started with a 3 foot board my pop ripped off the swing-set>>>>.

16. last friday i got my ass handed to me by an AMG mercedes like this one
    [​IMG]

is sounded like a fucken big block chevelle! i knew i was gonna go down, but was curious as to how crazy it was, i was with him until the middle of 3rd gear, then that thing walked away like my car wasnt even running! twin turbo v12 fucken bad ass car.

17. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

It was 1964 and I had a dual quad 61 Vette. Was cruising the local in Abilene Texas when this new Baracuda with a 273 pulls up at a light. The guy gave me a sign he wanted to drag so at the light we littem up. He whooped me real bad. I didn't know those thngs ran that good, but I learned.

18. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

My wife had a '97 Z-28 camaro with about $3500 worth of bolt on go fast goodies. It was a solid mid 11 second car.

One night I got my clock cleaned real good by a ratty looking Chevette running a turbo V6 from a buick GN.

That was the only time I EVER had a street driven car literally run away from me like I was standing still!

19. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

It wadn't my car but I was in the back seat. A buddy of mine had just joined the Marines and had bought a brand new '61 327 Biscayne 2-dr with his wages. He was about to be shipped to Nam and we were having one last cruise on Austin Highway in SA, about five of us in the car. No booze, no challenges, just rompin'on it real good to see what it'd do, about 10:30 one summer night. Sound like any movie you ever saw? Yes it was...well, Jimmy got pulled over a couple traffic lights down towards the Bun 'n' Barrell and got five, count 'em, five citations in one fell swoop. He had to show the officer his orders to keep from getting carted off to the pokey. We were laughin' and pokin'each other in the ribs in the back seat, saying we'd be glad to drive the brand new car home for him if he had to go downtown...
    Fearless

20. Bodacious

Bodacious

Ditto. 32 years ago, I lost a good friend because he was involved in a street race. Is that a good enough ass-whoopin' for y'all?

21. DAMN LIGHTEN UP!....truth is street racin has been and will happen until cars are outlawed.nobody here in condoning it but over the last 60 years things have changed.......and many of us dont street race anymore (felony in Az)...if you dont want to have fun with this thread MOVE ON! there are plenty to choose from

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Some of the San Fernando Valley guys can relate to this. One day Bottle Bob came to the house and wanted to run my '65 Chevelle with a bbc, 4 speed and 4:56's. He had his smog motored '74 Trans Am. I asked him why, I could give him 10 cars and still beat him. He said his Vette was down and wanted to see how fast the Trans Am was, so he could race that night. I said OK, but to make it fair, I had to give him cars. He said he'd take 3.

We went over to Vanowen and I told him to leave and I would catch him. 3 cars out, he leaves. 1 gear, he still has the 3 cars. 2nd gear, he still has the 3 cars. 3rd gear, nobody pulls me in 3rd gear. He still keeps the 3 cars. Hit 4th and he's still 3 cars ahead. I pull into a parking lot to check my car. Somethings wrong......

Bob pulls up and asks what I was doing. I tell him somethings wrong with my car! My jaw drops as I notice a braided flex line going from the rear of his hood into the passenger window. Bob pops the hood and introduces me to "the Motor Eater". His own design Holley 850 semi-hidden nitrous unit.

Man, did it make your car fast, if it didn't eat the motor.

23. Best road whoopin' I ever recieved..........The Fall Of 1966.............
    I was traveling Rte. 2 Eastbound in historic Concord , Mass. returning from school to home.
    I was driving my '57 Fuelie Bel Air 4 door hard top, kind of a street sleeper in it's own right.
    I thought I was driving real hot stuff!:cool:
    Along side pulls up this absolutly beat looking 59 Lark 2 door h.t.
    It was faded burgundy with a left quater panel that had the imprint of major hit with a telephone pole in it.
    Rusty J.C. Whitney wheel covers, very quiet exhaust, mud and road kill all over it, totally unasuming street rat at the wheel, I figure... easy win here.
    The pilot of the Lark, kid about my age, looks over and scopes out my plain white colored Bel Air and I notice his eyes locking onto my front fender fuel injection badges.
    His left hand comes up and he makes the universal "Go" sign.
    I roll out of it and double clutch into first, he reaches down for a lower gear, our front ends point towards the sky, tail pipes both puking Sunocco 260 , and he dusts me off about 12 seconds later by about 5 lengths!
    I'm completly humiliated be a f&*#%n , sh%$can Studebaker Lark !!!!

Three months go by and I'm telling this tale to "Thief" Fiore, a kid I just hooked up with at my new school.
    "Thief" tells me "Oh, I know that kid, don't feel too bad about loosing to him though"
    "He runs a blown Avanti R3 in that roach can and he's probably got 80 extra cubes on you with his stroker kit stuffed into the Lark's block.
    What do we learn here kids?
    Yeah, that thing about judging books by their covers!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  24. PoPo

PoPo

I was in my 1990 Iroc back in 2000 and I thought I was the bomb, well I pulled to this notch back fox body. He looked over and we knew the next light it was on. Well the next light it happened, HE LEFT ME BEFORE THE FIRST PARKING LOT ENTRANCE. Still dont know who he was, what he had, but it sounded like a damn airplane pulling away from me.

Yes I used to race, I had been pulled over 31 times before I was 21 years old. I just say I was practicing for my career.

25. I was riding shotgun for both of these:
    1) 1981 - I had my first ride in a Hudson Hornet with a real 7-x 308 with some goodies from Clifford's old parts stash. Old fart by the name of wally Taylor owned that car, and would not let a 400 firebird pass going uphill by the old brewery in Saskatoon. The guy went and hid after he couldn't keep up to a two tone green grannymobile.
    2) Was at a 5-6-7 run in Sasktoon and went on a beer run with a fellow from Alberta by the name of Brian Cherneske. He was driving a 57 panel truck painted up like an old ambulance. we had stopped at a light on College Drive when a mulletman in a Trans Am (see a trend here?) pulled up beside us and laughed at the panel. Brian pointed to the light and smiled.....When he hit the pedal I swore the damn truck wheelstanded and took off like a bullet. Mulletman never stood a chance. When we got to the candystore I looked under the hood - 454 with a Weiand pocket blower.

The worst ass-handing I ever saw was a video of a guy in a 55 Chevy racing an old stick in a beat to crap black 62 Chevy Biscayne four door. The guy in the 55 got three lengths ahead of the 62 when the whole backend of the Biscayne exploded in smoke. The four door went through the traps at around 108 mph. That day I got to see what a $22,000 409 stroker looked like wrapped in a $250 shitcan.

26. Toqwik

Toqwik

1985, guy pulled up beside me in my Camaro and asked if I wanted to run. He had a 70 duster, air shocks, snow tire on one side, rusty, etc. 3 guys in the car, with the one in the back seat weighed every bit of 400lbs. Wanted to run for 300.00, I thought I was a shoe in. This thing even sounded like crap. Well, when the light changed, it was over before it began. Never seen a street car run like that before. After the race, we stop so I can pay him. Find out it is a tube frame car, limited slip rear(reason for fat guy) had a slick on the pass side of the car (pulled up on my pass side so I could see the snow tire) 426 with a huge nitrous kit. The body of this thing wasn't even good enuf to be a parts car, but when the hood went up, it was mint. Guy was wealthy and said to keep my money, the look on my face was worth way more than 300.00

27. Cruisin' Rt.3 in North Jersey, 1962, in my black and white, stick-shift '56 Ford Customline Victoria lookin' for a "kick-down" race. Along comes an ugly-ass, faded two-tone green '53 Chevy two-door sedan with skirts, dual deck arials, full moon discs and blackwall tires. Kind of weird, even for that time period; actual kind of weird for any time period.
    Anyway, it seems like the perfect self-esteem building opponent for me and my worn-out 292. He motions for me to go first, which I do, as I can't afford another loss. I punch the throttle in 2nd and jump-out a length or so. Then he comes past me "fish-tailing", with tire smoke pouring out of his rear wheel wells.
    After he blew my doors off, he pulled over and showed me his brand new 327/340 Vette motor complete with six 2G Rochesters and a 4-speed. You just never know!

28. hemi

hemi

Whenever I got beat really bad, I'd just put my turn signal on and act like I was turning anyways... :D

However, not really racing, but one time we were going home, northbound on our little four-lane highway and I was going pretty good, 85-90ish. Night time, no traffic, long stretches between exits... these pair of headlights come up kind of quick, I ease on the gas, they keep coming, I feed it a little more, notice it's a small car...

I get up to around 115-120ish and it's just hanging off my quarter panel... the car was pretty much maxed out.... big open stretch comes up and BAM! This car just shoots around us with this crazy roar and it's a freaking V8 Miata with 3" dual exhaust and a roll cage and he was GONE.

A friend of mine was going southbound on the same highway and was running around 100-110 in his nova and got passed very quickly by some band's TOUR BUS! I guess they were running late....

brando1956 likes this.
  29. Billy Mattesons 413 Dodge was whipping EVERYbodies ass (mid 60's). It took my 427/426 '66 'vette to finally do him in....but before it did, that 413 Dodge was the KING...

30. 110mph.....not telling you what in (it was one o them MG sporty type cars)..........flat out......behind me is a Datsan 120Y...yep 1200ccs...flashing his lights trying to get passed......