Register now to get rid of these ads!

History remembering pearl harbor in my new 41 plymouth coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromedRAT, Sep 6, 2008.

1. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

didn't really wat to title this as "history," but it looks like i can't undo it...

been working on this for a long time and the bank finally came through. most folks get car loans to buy new stuff, and after talking with the bank and looking at the budget (hooray new teaching job!) it looked like i could afford a new machine, as my great great aunt called her cars. it's pretty solid, figure i got an ok deal on it, too. if i paid less for a prewar car, it'd probably have holes everywhere. this one has had some work along the bottom of the tub, but from the inside of the doors and the rest of the car, it can't have been bad. sucker's still real solid. interior is decent, needs some older seat covers, but not bad for 67 year old seats. hell, headliner's all there!

still has the old flat 6 in it, and it runs hot. going to look for some t-stat housing gaskets and put a new thermostat in it, as well as flushing the cooling system.

it is unreal driving something like this. a lot like driving the 48 john deere we have on the farm. told the fiance to watch out, though, all the old ladies in our neighborhood are going to be after me now.

i may lower it, but plan to enjoy it as is for a while. it'll go pretty well with either my air corps dress uniform or the zoot suit. i do want to put a remember pearl harbor tag topper on it if i could find one. i know a fella that was there that day and shot at zeroes on top of the barracks in his underwear, he'd get a kick out of taking a spin in it...

Attached Files:

2. Bodacious

Bodacious

I love the old Mopars and that one looks like a sweetheart. You do know about the P15-D24 forum, right? Enjoy. :cool:

3. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

I wondered what you've been up to you gotta respect the family heirlooms especially prewar cars CONGRATULATIONS!!:D

4. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

the whodeewhat forum????

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

Congrats Josh!!! Killer old coupe.... I know I guy who knows a thing or two about seat covers :) :)

6. Clark

Clark

You should know a guy that could make you that tag topper!!! :)

Hope to see it sometime next summer.
    Clark

7. belair

belair

I really like those cars. Good for you.

8. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

oh i thought about making one myself, but there's the whole repro vs original thing! i'll be around in it next summer, i'm sure. shawn, i'll be in touch with ya!

9. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

wonder if i could ind any surplus navy blue blankets that would work for the covers, i think the seats in it were originally navy blue wool...

10. sololobo

sololobo

Man, I love those 41's!! Andy Bernbaum Co. is a great source for parts. Drive and enjoy it. A Mopar fan.-Sololobo

11. Nice Coupe. Other then my '41 Poncho, I like the Plymouth's. Mine has the orig. flattie 6 and 3 on the tree. Temp runs at about 170, unless it's really hot outside, in the 90's, then up to 190. Nice car.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Our bullets will do it. M'r F'rs.

LOL!

[​IMG]

~Jason

Attached Files:

13. John B

John B

I'm glad you got this car , I know you were wanting it. I'm sure you and the boys will create some good memories with this old car.

14. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Looks great! A friend of mine just picked up a '41 Plymouth four door sedan last fall and we've been having a blast riding around in that. The prices those old Plymouths go for- when compared to similar Fords make them a real bargain most of the time.

The forum mentioned above can be a real help with MoPar specific technical resources and infomation. (Not that this site can't be too;).)

Jay

15. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i'll take a look see on that forum sure. there's a few things in the dash of it that i'm not real sure about. there's a 3 position toggle switch that has wires that go to the key and to some of the guage face, and a button on the very left edge of the dash near the hood release. no idear what they do. the throttle knob on the dash is a hoot. cruise control, a' la 1941. that supplier does have a bunch of stuff. gonna score a manual first and dive in. doesn't need much, just some maintenance type stuff, especially in the cooling system. engine's supposed to be fresh, so that's alright for sure.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  16. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

I think the toggle switch is for the dash lights: Dim, dimmer, and dimmest :D.

For the cooling issue, it could be several things. The block could be full of crud, the water distribution tube could be rotted out and not doing it's job, or maybe the timing is set to far in advance. And all the regular stuff, water pump, thermostat, etc.

Also, I'd stay away from any rubber parts from Bernbaum. I have heard countless tales of folks receiving incredibly poor quality or ill fitting rubber parts, and even worse customer service when they try to get their money back...

Pete

17. skidsteer

skidsteer

Glad to see another old Mopar on the road.

18. Nice wheels Josh.....knowing you, she'll be lookin fine in no time.......so where's the 65 at these day?

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Nice coupe!

I have this in my car, plus a Remember Pearl Harbor decal and an AAF decal too.

[​IMG]

20. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

That's a very good looking, straight Plymouth, man! You can't go wrong when you start with a rig like this.

21. VanHook

VanHook

Josh, Great score man, looks like it'll be a nice driver when ya bugs worked out!

22. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

oh, there's bugs... stranded me at school yesterday. brakes seized up tight as hell, figuring that the master cylinder's valve isn't letting pressure return. hoses will get replaced for sure, but i'd be surprised if it was just them as tight as it was. front right wheel was worst of all, cracked the bleeder and it loosened up enough to get it to my buddy's place after i tried it. pedal seemed to get tighter and tighter the whole way, not lower, regular height, but tight as hell. pissed me off, had a ton of work to do for school, and i am trying to get at least an hour's work every night working on the aluminum projects that have COMPLETELY piled up on me. good news is i am too broke to buy parts for it yet, so aluminum will get done long before i work on the new coupe.

i still like her, got her up in the air and looked up her skirt if you know what i mean, and the holes in her underwear were pretty minor. body appears real solid, just a couple of places that i can tell were fixed in the past.

anybody know where to find brake parts for this thing? kanter's doesn't sell shoes for it, and i'd like to take care of everything all at once if i could.

is bernbaum a bad choice for rebuild kits too?