Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crazy road trips to get parts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Aug 9, 2008.

1. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

A little more recently, I took my '62 NewYorker wagon out for a 2.5 hr trip each way to pick up a 392 Hemi and a heavy Dana axle-housing at 2 different locations.

I first picked up the Hemi, and later on the Dana and I'm glad I did.
    If it had been the other way around, I most likely wouldn't have stripped the rearaxle from it's 'useless' parts like drums and axles, and the wagon wouldn't have liked the weight of that Hemi next to it.
    I chucked everything nice and tight so things couldn't move or slide around in the back. Although in hindsight, I should've tied every thing down and secure it, 'cause it sure wouldn't be fun if that Hemi would've come flying down on you during a panic stop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 41DeluxeRat

41DeluxeRat

Last summer i drove a total of 18 hours in one day to pick up a motor for my stealth. It was in PA, but we got lost on the way, but it was worth it for a rebuilt motor for 75 bucks. We departed at about 5 am with hope of arriving around 10am. Well according to mapquest we had to circle JFK about three times and then park on the runway..... So after two attempts hoping we missed a turn we ended up getting directions by one of the friendly security guards. We doscovered that in jersy... "just over the hill" means about three hours "that way"*points*.. an dthat Pa is nothing but a long boring drive. We FINALLY arrive at the guys house and had to dismantle the engine in order to squeeze it in the trunk of my buddys buick.

Then a few weeks ago, another friend and i took a trip to jersey... here we go again!! to pick up a motor for his car.... in the car that needed the motor... about 4 hour drive, we got there, removed his seat and door, wedged the motor in the back seat and drive home, only to discover that it was the wrong engine... back to jersey in the morning.... imped all the way back to jersey and returned the motor and made it back home with gobs of smoke pouring from his engine with 250 thousand torturous miles on it... i think he might have tracked down the motor hes looking for by now.. but im not gonna go pick it up with him this time..

3. Bodacious

Bodacious

30+ years ago, a friend of mine scored a desirable 413. We made a road trip in my '63 Valiant and hauled it back in the trunk. Felt like it had power steering on the way home..... :D
    A couple of years ago the same friend and I made a banzai 22 hour round trip to Michigan and picked up a truck load of Corvette parts for $1000. We made our money back almost immediately, used some of them and still have most of it stashed under my house. Anyone need any Corvette parts? ;)

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Well the most recent was last november. Twisted Okie and I drove 400 mile north and Tman and his brother drove 400 miles south, met in McCook NE took the Tub off his trailer, the Model A off mine, loaded each on the others trailers, ate pizza and drove home.

The trip home was uneventful, The trip up was interupted by sliding through an intersection in the fog and about twenty miles later having a trailer brake catch fire.

5. haneghan

haneghan

Hi i recently went on a road trip to get a t bucket , got up 6 am saturday went to work and when i got off headed to just outside of Detroit MI.
    Drove all night with the wife and three kids , 450 miles later got to the guys house and bought the bucket and headed to the uhaul office where the uhaul in illinois told me to goto and they said our venture van was to small to pull there trailor and the bucket did not show up in there computor so they would not rent me a dolly , so i drove it home .

on the way home we got caught in rush hour traffic and just after dark the traffic started moving good and i hit a bump and all the lights went out, took 30 minutes to firugure out how to hot wire the lights most the wires under the dash were red or white ,
    then got lost ended up on the loop at chicago and circled around there a few times trying to find my way out , tried to stop for gas and got surrounded by brothers smearing my winsheild with news paper and some cleaner and asking for spare change , and after be up 42 hours we went to get a hotel room and my card was denied , my bank shut it off because they thought it was stolen because of all the transactions , 10 gallon tank so made lots of gas stops, got the card turned on in the morning , then drove in an hour and a half of rain , the day before i got sunburned so bad it blistered and all this in a car that only had 200 miles and no gauges other than a tach , kind of worreid the whole trip cause i didnt know if the car would even hold together, but 550 miles later we made it -----and i would do it again

[​IMG]

and couple years ago drove 5 hour in to iowa and threw a model a frame on top of my ford tempo strapped it down and drove home , the frame was almost as long as my car , we got a lot of strange looks ----- Joe :)

6. Abomination

Abomination

Jeez... and I thought I was hardcore!

~Jason

7. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I got a new one. A guy wanted to buy 2 8 inch rearends from us and asked if we could meet him in chattanooga. We did and a price was agreed on. We were going to haul them on dads one ton and I said they would fit in the back of my 93 4dr civic. As it turns out they did. We took them up there and got about 35 mpg too. The guy couldn't believe we hauled them in the little car

8. George

George

Borrowed a friends car trailer & drove up to Sylacaga, Al to pick up a 47 Plym parts car, quite a ways on the back roads. Car kept overheating on the way home. Being Sunday every town had rolled in the sidwalks & was shut down. Had to stop @ little creek when it got low on water. There's some pretty good slopes on the route. Eventually discovered the car had 2.25 rear gears!:mad:
    A buddy & me went to Panama City in his almost new Lincoln & put a 331 Hemi in the trunk. Slid the assembled short block up a 2X6 to the rim & down a couple 2X4s into the trunk + the dissasembled top end. Had some weight in that trunk!

9. kriscad

kriscad
    from Nashville

hahah!

10. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Me and my Grandpa took a road trip from Phx AZ to Denver to by an all orig caddy. This was before "send me pics" We had an add from "old car news" and a full tank of gas. When we got to see the cady it was clean but not at all what the add had said. My Grandpa asked the guy again while looking at the car "All original?"
    "Yep"
    My Grandpa took his knuckle and knocked on the lower rear 1/4 panel and looked up "So when did they use bondo at the factory?" we didn’t end up with that car…
    The trip wasn't a total loss. On the way home we found an old 6 foot round tin Oil sign that we picked up for $100 or $150. I was 13 at the time and got to skip school for two days to spend some time with my Grandpa. It was a great trip.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  11. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

A few years back before I was married I was restoring a 1964 Pontiac 2+2. It needed a frame, which being a subscriber to Hemmings first class I found one in Youngstown Ohio.. which is about 8 hours drive from my house in SE Pa.. I borrowed a tow dolly and hitched it up to my Ford Truck and loaded my Fiancee (now wife) in the truck after work on Friday night. Drove 7.5 hours at high speed to Youngstown Ohio without a game plan. When we got there I found out there was an LPGA Golf Tournament in town and not a hotel or motel room to be found. We ended up driving around for a few hours in and out of PA.. til finally at about 1 Am I drove up to a Cop sitting in a parking lot and asked him if he knew of a hotel/motel.. He said (with his local accent) that I might try Ron Gummo's place a few miles down the road, he is the owner operator and lives in room #1.. so we went there and beat on the door 'til Ron woke up.. We asked him in our dog dead tired way if he had a room. To which he replied, "Welllllll, all the rooms are rented.. But I do have one room that I had the carpets shampooed today, but they spilt the tank of cleaning water and the carpets are soaked.. I have the air on to dry it out. If you want that one you can have it." To which we replied we're so tired we'll take it! WE woke up in the morning drove out to pick up the rolling frame and drove on home. 20 years later I'm still married to her.

Attached Files: