Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller Painting Your Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvenfield

wvenfield

I saw a car done this way. It looked very good. I could not tell it was rolled. Like everything it's how much work you are willing to put into it.

As noted, proper prep, many coats and many hours of sanding and it can look very nice.

I do not know but I imagine you are somewhat restricted on the types of paint but if you have all winter with nothing better to do, it can come out very nice.

Far more work than even a good spray job though.

2. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Just did a search, and found this sentence on another forum. Quote:

"Henry Ford found out that "Black Japan Lacquer" dried the quickest in Model T Ford days."

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

3. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Didn't someone do a white and blue Vair? I thought it looked good.

4. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

And that is why you could only get a black T from 15 to 25 The Black Era". Lacquer came in use in 24.

5. Definately needs a hardener, I rollered a beater - it looked better than big ugly rust spots - with some leftover paint. Some of that shit never cured. I ended up replacing most of the rusty body panels later on anyways, and had some spray paint the right color to paint the rest to match that time. I don't know that came out any better though.

6. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

I would think the big problem would be the new "roller" paint attaching to the old paint ,

once that is done the paint would not care ,

Has anyone read a report of the "roller" paint falling off because it did not have enough "bite" to the old paint ?

the Mopar roller paint thread has been going for 2 years now so whatever problems should have popped up by now,

Beaulieu

7. FloridaJoe

FloridaJoe

I did it on a Toyota Camry beater, but I used the bright white Rustoleum...REALLY BRIGHT WHITE Rustoleum.
    I could never wash the car, because it was so bright that it was blinding when the sun hit it.

Anyway, if you have skills and listen to the other guys that HAVE done it, then you will be shocked at how smooth it actually comes out....I did the bumper during my lunch break at work, and my buddies couldn't believe that paint could roll smoother than a rattle-can.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. FloridaJoe

FloridaJoe

Actually, you may be thinking of "house paint"/latex paint that would not have enough "bite".
    Rustoleum (aka "Tremclad") is an industrial enamel. It's made to adhere to old paint and rust....yet, it comes off of skin very easily, sometimes without soap(unlike house paint & rattle cans).

9. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

that what i'm going to use on the truck

10. Oh yeah. I hear they have a new gizzmo for the carb too. It's called the clapper. Just put her on the mat and CLAPP-ON******CLAPP-OFF. Hah Hah>>>>.

11. My head is spinning. Dig: you can't string so many metaphors together like that. Sheep: they follow the leader. Band wagon: Took people to political rallies. The band would get their attention, the band wagon would take them there. Going over the edge: Lemmings.

And I'm pretty sure everyone has used a roller. Just not everyone has used one on a car.

12. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

Sorry to bust your bollons but in 1958 or 59 at the Long Beach coustom car show [calif] the car that won best in show and best paint was a liqcer paint job by a 16 yr old kid who used nothing but rags

13. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Likker paint?

14. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

I beg your pardon your royal higness for making such a major mastake I will take my 69 yr old ass back to my room
    To the rest of you have a grate day

15. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Reminds me of my grandfather. When i was 14 and picked up a project '51 Ford PU, he told me that once I got it running we'd get us a can of paint and some brushes and put a nice paintjob on her...

He wasn't kidding either. We used to have an old yellow '62 Ford farmtruck that he had painted yellow with a brush years earlier.

The '57 Ford truck I now have came from him, and may have been painted with a brush at one time in it's life....not sure.

16. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

BTW, are there any flat blacks or red oxides in this implement type of paint? Seems like what I need to put on the '57 Farmtruck :D

17. Back in 1966 I drug an old 29 ford PU out of a barn at my uncles yard and we put in a 238 with a glide, then I painted it blue with miller paint and a roller. It was the 60s and I was only 14 at the time. LOL

18. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

I can't even believe people are trying to justify this.

19. 61TBird

61TBird

that's only for us West Coasters...
    wouldn't the East Coasters use aluminum siding??

20. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

painted this 67 cougar i had last year with satin black rustoleum/low odor mineral spirits/4" foam roller.

Attached Files:

21. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Alum siding is of the past, now it vinyl LOL:D

22. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

and this biscayne,,same process, except i used gloss black. little wet sand, another coat.,, looks better than some earl shieb shit ive paid for in the past.

Attached Files:

23. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

That's what I'm talking about....I'd like to do that to the old '57 and do my shop's name on the doors in a rustic look. :)

24. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

might wanna look at some results before ya go disparaging (look it up) people about alternative methods there....johnny.

25. Wow. What a coincidence. I just found that site a couple days ago. I've been seriously considering trying it out.

26. Jesus H Christ--------------
    I've been painting (The coventional way, with a gun) for 40+ years and this thread is unreal
    Some of you guys must be smokin some bad stuff, or been sniffin the lacquer thinner barrell toooooo long.

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The wifes' old man has a decent 37 Chev truck,built 230,goes like hell.
    He related the story how he and an old friend of the family sprayed the truck with an atomizer that attached to an Electrolux vac and laid on the enamel.They brushed the tight spots between cab and the headboard of the bed,under fenders,etc.
    That was around 1964 when he returned from the service.
    The truck still looks surprisingly good,deep shine to it and the color/tone stayed without bleaching all these years.

28. Paint is paint, it could look like a fucking relief map of the Himalayas and if you spend enough time with the sandpaper and buff it out it will look just as good as if you sprayed it on. I don't know why someone who paints for a living wouldn't get that... think of the brush marks as really long skinny orange peel.

I'll grant that's probably a hell of a lot more work overall to sand it smooth - but it does work.

29. 41 C28

41 C28

I've been waiting for an opportunity to share this picture. Saw this "custom" on the road in Wyoming last year about this time.

Attached Files:

30. I'll put up, here's the results

1st coat
    [​IMG]

2nd coat
    [​IMG]

3rd
    [​IMG]

4th
    [​IMG]

5th, what it looks like during the process
    [​IMG]

6th and final coat
    [​IMG]

wet sanded and hand buffed, the red car is about 35-40 ft. away driving down the street
    [​IMG]

and up close reflection, no wax applied yet
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.