Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Stand up to cancer - who have you lost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I lost my sister 10 years ago to brain cancer :(
    One in two men - one in three women will have cancer in their lifetime :eek:
    I made a donation to Stand Up To Cancer in the name of my sister Marie

Who do you know that you have lost to cancer - or has survived?
    If you are a HAMB member please get a prostate exam or a mammogram for you and your family ;)
    Please also make a donation :D:D:D

@ https://www.standup2cancer.org/donate_splash.asp
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. jon volk

jon volk

My dad last year to brain cancer. Had a lasting headache in February, kiled him by November.

Shitty stuff.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I lost my first wife to cancer.

And almost myself last year! Skin cancer on my back worked it's way to my liver! Fortunately it looks like I'm going to beat it.

Funny you said "prostate"... I had a staff infection 2 weeks ago that caused an abcest the size of a baseball that was pressing against mine... That sucker hurt! And removing it hurt even more!!!!

4. My Dad, 2 Uncle's and an Aunt all in the last 5 years.

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

My Grandmother Belle
    My Grandfather Saul
    My Aunt Paula
    and one of the biggest forces in my life, my next door neighbor/adapted Grandfather Stanley Gutt

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

My Father & Mother-in-Law

7. Three uncles,three cousins and several dear friends.I would bet that every one on here has lost a relative or friend to cancer.

8. zacanger

zacanger

My twin brother, to retinoblastoma that spread to the brain.

9. whid

whid

my mother in 1993,she was only 55...........................dave

10. both parents and grandparents on both sides...but I'm gonna live till 105

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

A 65 impala, the cancer ate the floorboard completely away. Damn out of state cars!

12. El Gordo

El Gordo

My Brother, 2 hours ago

RIP Bruce

13. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

An older brother 28 years ago to leukemia, my left leg above the knee 29 years ago. My wife is a thyroid cancer survivor.

14. My Dad 5 years ago.
    Stomach ache in October, gone by April. So much for modern medicine. We might as well be living in the 1800's when it comes to this shit. It's extremely sobering when you find out how little they have to combat some of these cancers.
    What a terrible fucking disease.

15. I beat it!!!!! I survived a very rare form of cancer, of which there were only about 100 or so cases when I was diagnosed. That was 1994, and 14 years later, I'm still going strong. At the 10 year mark, the doctors told me that I am the only one to have survived it. I am thankful for every day I have on this earth, and I want everyone who has cancer, or who knows someone who does, that you should never give up hope, and that one day there will be cure.

I don't mean to sound like I'm selling something, but my mother wrote a book about my experience, and I have been told that it has been a source of inspiration for some people. If you know someone who could use a positive message, contact me, and I can tell you how to get it.

16. My dad has parkinsons disease since 2001..he is still around but is hard stuff to deal with..

17. Chuck R

Chuck R

Too many.

Mom-Breast Cancer

Mother in Law-leukemia

My Friend Curtis when he was 20. Prostrate Cancer. A real friend. I still miss him. Named my son Curtis in his honor.

Many friends are survivors. Common reason: Early detection.

Get checked regularly

Educate yourself, if you are reading this you have a wealth of information at your finger tips

Eat healthy food

Wear Sunscreen

If you have money support cancer research.

If you don't have money, participate in events that help raise money. Walk a thons ect.

Become aware, share the awarness.

18. I lost my Grandmother when I was 9...that was hard....and I lost my Grandfather on the other side of my family in my early 20's...

While I agree with your urging everyone to get tested I have another idea I'd like to put forward- I am but one person but I would like see a movement, a petition, or perhaps even a lobbying force that has one mission:

EVERYONE, no matter what age, no matter where, no matter what their ability to pay, receives a full-body MRI every year.

A full-body MRI would reveal so many early conditions, cancers, blockages, tumors and more problems LONG before traditional treatment finds them. This simple idea would also ultimately lower health care costs, extend people's lifespans and improve our overall quality of health. Some may say that this would be very costly. While I'm not fully aware of the total costs, from what little research I have done, it seems that a new state-of-the-art MRI machine retails for $2-3Million...and costs approximately $800K-$1Million annually to operate. For more rural hospitals, they could purchase a used MRI machine for approximately $1Million and the operating costs would be the same.

Now to you and I those are big numbers...but to a large hospital, a couple million dollars is not a large number and if you divide the costs by the number of people each machine could serve...I simply do not see why our health care industry cannot make this happen-save money and save lives with EARLY detection and treatment.

Is the feasible? Or is this an untenable idea? I'd like to hear from any health-care professionals or hospital administration folks who might be on here...

19. RexRod

RexRod

My father and grandmother.

20. Lost my dad on October 27th of last year. He was 58. The VA attributes his type of lung cancer to exposure to Agent Orange. Dad was in the Marines in Nam from 68-69. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

21. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

The latest is my uncle and it was a week ago.

22. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

My Dad, lung cancer, December 2006. He was 73, and days before was climbing trees with a chainsaw and trimming and topping. Amazingly tough all the way to the end. He was to start chemo in two weeks, but it took him first. RIP Pop.

23. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

My mom 1987 age 55 :(

24. 1 brother in law
    3 friends
    all since july 12th
    3 funerals last 7 days...................
    HOW FAR BACK YA WANNA GO?

25. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

My Dad to lung cancer. Smoked since he was 12 and passed away at 63. He's the one who got me started on the car and motorcycle thing. I inherited his Model "A" that he never got to finish or drive.

26. 29SX276

29SX276

Me 'ol Dad in 1998,liver cancer,still miss him.

27. I was just getting to know my biological father when he died of lung cancer at age 41, two weeks before my 22nd birthday.

I'm 58....he died so young...

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

my best friend last yr.
    a dear friend yr before
    my grandma 3 yrs ago
    my [and our] dear friend dallas [hellraiser] has just beat it last month!!!

29. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

My grandfather (and my sons namesake), Billy Booth, age 72, last year the day after my 32 birthday. Colon cancer....R.I.P.

Mike

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

wow!!! sorry to hear that!!