Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM one wire alternator question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkAssGearhead88, Sep 5, 2008.

1. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Does anyone know if they made the one wire alternators for cars with serpentine belts? If so what year and model?

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just swap the pulleys. Unless the alt rotates backwards, which may or may not matter.

3. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

When you buy one, just tell the guy behind the counter what you want.

4. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

LOL, wish it was that easy, you obviously havent been to any of the parts stores in So. Cal lately.

5. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

I just hope you're lucky enuf to have an auto parts store where the dumbass kid behind counter knows what an alternator is, and does'nt try to sell you a 5 inch exhaust tip telling you that you "need it to increase your horsepower". if you're not lucky, just swap the pulley... -GothY-

6. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

That;s why I don't go to Autozone, the K-mart of auto part stores

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ok Oshkosh name a auto parts store in So. Cal. that has a knowledgeable sales staff who still uses books and doesnt rely on a year make and model to look up stuff on the computer and I will take my business there from now on. Thanks for the help!

8. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

You don't have NAPA there? I once went to Autozone and asked for a piece of straight radiator hose and they asked me for what car, I told them for a 48 ford and they said we don't have that. A straight piece of radiator hose? Try late model camaro's, I believe they had 1 wire alternators with serp belt.

9. Too true !!! Most times there is an 18 yr. old kid who wants to know year make , model , engine size , trans type , A/C , and the color of your upholstery to find anything . Let's see .... I have a '29 Ford roadster with '32 Ford frame , a '39 Ford front axel , a '53 Olds engine hooked to '40 Ford trans , the A/C starts as soon the cars starts moving and...... no , I don't have any upholstery . Does that help any ? Finding a good parts house with an old time parts guy is HARD to do .

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yes we do, as a matter of fact I worked at one before in 2000, but even then most there inventory was looked up by computer, and alot of times NAPA doesnt stock alot of stuff that doesnt sale quickly so that does no good when you want to look at the part in person before you purchase it.

11. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Surprising, I just bought wheel cylinders and radiator hoses for my 52 Buick over the counter at NAPA. But it's abunch of older guys that work there and really know their stuff. Good luck, I heard you guys in CA have 24 hour part stores, true?

12. partsman

partsman

Hey man, I run a NAPA store and dug into the books and didn't see a one wire serp. drive alt. We carry # 13-4011sw it is a gm 73 amp one wire that you can put your pulley on it turning the right way. I also ckd the local alt. shop in town and the said they can convert the later ones over. You might ck if a shop in yor area can do the same. Hope this helps.

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yes some Autozones are open 24 hours, and BTW I tried late model Camaro, they arent the true one wires, they have that plug in on them for those two extra wires usually.

14. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I bought mine on the web and it asked me which pulley I wanted. Same price either way. 100 amp, chrome, and it was about $80 on Eb@y

15. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

You may have a problem finding what you are asking for because there were no 1 wire GM alternators from the factory. They all took at least 2 wires.Most parts stores dont have 1 wire alternators.

16. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Hey thanks,
    So correct me if im wrong, what you are saying is that I will have to use an earlier one wire alternator, swap it with a serpentine pulley, and then have it converted to spin the other direction?

17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I was actually pretty close to buying one of those, but thought I'd see if I could avoid the chrome, too much heat, its already hot enough out here. But so far thats looking like my only choice.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

I don't believe alternators care about rotation,works either way from what I've seen.

19. partsman

partsman

The alternator itself doesn't care what direction it spins as long as the fan behind the pully is changed to pull air thru the alternator to keep it cool. You can also take a later gm alternator to a starter shop and have it converted to one wire, I did it on a 72 chevelle that I put a 96 lt1 from a vette in it and had to use the oe alternator due to the mounting pattern.

20. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

Not to change the subject... Its topic related tho. Are not all 1 wire actually 2 wire? 1 heavy wire that caries the current and a small wire that goes to the IGN light. If it is only 1 wire how do you wire the IGN light? Its internally regulated right?

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

The conversion to one wire internal regulator is sold by auto parts stores.Easy to do if a person has basic auto mechanical ability

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ya thats what I thought, I did not think it would matter what the direction it for it to actually charge. Good info parts man!

23. partsman

partsman

No ign light wire, it starts charging at a higher rpm than idle. The only wire is the heavy wire to the bat. positive. To keep up with charging you have to run a voltage gauge or amp gauge.

24. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

you live in pomona? go to eds auto parts in covina, or dicks auto parts in azusa... the are real parts places, and they will know what your talking about. if that fails go to the place on workman and barranca (cant remember the name, but they rebuild starters alternators and such, and also can get new ones.

25. partsman

partsman

No problem for the help, you can pm any time if needed.

26. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

but once it starts charging it keeps charging till you shut the engine off regarless of rpm. once your warm rev it up a bit and your good to go

27. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

28. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

Thanks Parts. I used a Bosch 55 amp for my conversion. Two wires. 1 Current and 1 for the idiot light. I did add a volt meter to the dash at the time also. Recalling from memory, which isnt the greatest these days, I had heard that Dodge Neon alts where great for conversions because of their small size and being 1 wire.