Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jerry Reed dies at 71

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Sep 2, 2008.

1. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

He always put a smile on my face whether he was playing, picking, singing, talking or acting. SHINE ON!!

2. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

3. Thumper

Thumper

Time to slide into the old rockin chair.........RIP Snowman

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

RIP... he will be missed...

5. Heepster

Heepster
    from Texarkana

RIP....You just can't get any cooler than the Snowman.

6. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

died yesterday of emphysema.

7. decayed40

decayed40

looks like he will be makeing a stop at the local choke and puke in the sky! god speed and tell ol waylon we said hello!! rip jerry

8. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I was just reading in one of the English sportscar rags where one of the regular writers remembering riding shotgun with Jerry Reid in the "Great American Truck Race" (anybody else remember this, they used to race semi tractors around Road Atlanta back in the 70s & 80s?). The guy said something to the effect that he was "sucking the buttons off the upholstery" as Reid came off the corner at over 100 in a Peterbuilt.

9. Thanks to our fellow HAMBers for all the great clips and links. I am also thankful that in today's age, we can so swiftly celebrate someone's life through technology.

Thank you Jerry Reed for all the great music, movies and laughs. From everything I've ever read, he was the epitome of talent, generosity and modesty. Such a talented man in many fields; we should all hope to live a life so full.

One of my favorite automotive moments was a few years ago when my wife and I hosted a group of friends who drove up from the east coast for the Woodward Dream Cruise...After a rather full day of cruising Woodward in my buddy's 64 Galaxie, we loaded up the Galaxie, dropped Jerry Reed's Greatest Hits in the tape player and we all had a great little Jerry Reed singalong all the while cruising along my favorite backroads far from Woodward and a great time was had by all. Thanks Jerry.

RIP Jerry and many prayers for you and your family. Godspeed Snowman.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this sucks dammit!!! I know he did a lot of different things but smokey and the bandit will always be my favorite. the song made the entire movie. this is the best video of it i've seen yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI

11. Quick! Someone get me a BB gun! RIP.

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, I forgot all about that!

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

theres some of that in the beginning of smokey and the bandit 2

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

heres some clips of it in the beginning of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEE5FmzDHU&feature=related

15. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammmm Jerry was a cool cat...RIP.

17. Here's a few you might like that focus on Jerry's amazing abilities with the guitar-and I believe he wrote most of these songs as well.

I apologize if someone posted these already. Again, thanks to all who posted these for us all to enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng__WbaFVz4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLqyNV1SMWE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGiW-y-Vhs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1RwA9lqrQ&feature=related

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=81978386692286064&hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnLxb19jIk&feature=related

Enjoy the great talent of a true American icon. He will be missed but his work thankfully lives on.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  18. 48ford

48ford

RIP snowman,A sad day for everyone
    Russ

19. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

One of my all time favorites. He had that swamp stomp, Chet Atkins thing going that you just didn't get tired of. I saw him with Bobby Bare and Hoyt Axton on TV once and I don't know who was funnier, they all had a sense of humor that was way beyond funny, never dirty, but Mr Reed would make your face hurt when he was telling stories. Music, comedy, and story telling lost a great man. His songs make you just want to pull the car over and listen when they would come on the radio. I have been playing guitar most of my life and you were a big influence on me, even when country wasn't "cool" Keep it clean, and play and sing it like you mean it. RIP Sir. Now what was that lick again to "When You're Hot You're Hot"...?

20. Richard Head

Richard Head

Jerry Reed was one of the only country singers that I could stand to listen to. Whenever I heard one of his songs, it put a smile on my face. This year at the Hotrodarama, I heard a "Lord Mr. Ford" playing over the PA and then the band started their sound check. I was disgusted by their lack of respect.

He was pretty good in The Waterboy too.

Dave

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

he's not gone he's just at the greatest country front porch pickin' party there ever was and ever will be

22. Mike53

Mike53

Bad ass guitar picker,saw him live at the Country music network unveiling in Maumee Ohio.R.I.P.Jerry,you will be missed!

23. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Damn...The first concert I ever saw was Jerry Reed at the Walworth Co. Fair in Elkhorn, Wisconsin....22 years ago...I was 10...Thanks Mr. Reed for the inspiration to become a musician myself....One of my absolute favorite people...you'll be sorely missed....Godspeed

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

don't forget the songs he played with elvis, like guitar man, he said they couldn't figure out how to play it right, he told them the only way for it to sound like Jerry reed is for Jerry Reed to play it. and that he had his guitar tuned all kinds of crazy ways.

25. Tony

Tony

26. bigmike

bigmike

I heard an interview with Jerry on Sirius and he said that Elvis sent Scotty to find out how he played it, Jerry was out fishin' and Scotty came out in a boat to get him to come and show him how to play it... lot's of stuff on youtube just do a search and enjoy!

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

he was a very unique and unusual guitar player,and like anybody else who plays that way,it's very hard to duplicate. It's like Hendrix,there are still things he did that people cannot figure out to this day. Jerrys playing was like that ,great sound,but it's impossible to duplicate.

28. Damn, he was good! Seems nobody does it anymore like he did.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well i just buried my best buddy yesterday,was a really good "git-tar" picker and a true good ole boy. He always liked Jerry and maby now they will get a chance to pick on that big front porch in the sky. Bluegrass has always been about the good things in life, so I figure they must have some up there. First funeral where they played free bird in the service,his last request. Look out Jerry!! here he comes!!