Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can U ID these Chrysler guages?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper daddy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Picked this up at the Goodguys swap last weekend. Thought it was cool and might look good for my truck dash. Can anyone help ID this? It has a time guage on the tach, which would lead me to believe it came from an aircraft or boat. I'm thinking boat, but not sure. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. squirrel

squirrel

How do you connect a speedo cable to a boat?

i'm thinking diesel truck, from the 60s.

3. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Good point. Yeah - a commercial truck would have an hour meter.

4. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

i can't say for certain but that dash insert shape looks exactly like the shape of 1 i pulled from a '59 dodge PU.... check it out. even though yours has 2 more gauges than this one, the shape and gauge faces are near duplicates!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008

5. alchemy

alchemy

The speedo and tach are from a large truck, made by Stewart Warner. Probably later 50's to 60's. Look for some numbers ink stamped on the back.

6. Looks to be out of a truck. Speedo only goes to 80 mph. Tach to 4 grand, looks like air pressure gage bottom center. Photo enlarged center red light sign looks to say, low air pressure. So I would tend to agree with the Dodge truck theory

7. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Yeah, and the turn signal indicators are the same too. Good lead!

8. Those gauges are from one of the following:

A Dodge or Fargo Power Giant truck (1955 - 1960), anywhere from a D-100 half-ton clear up to a D-800 HD truck (same cab, same cluster throughout, gauges varied)

A Dodge or Fargo Town Wagon/Town Panel from 1955 - 1966.

A Dodge medium-duty D-500 - D-800 from 1957 - 1974

These gauges (not the mounting plate) were also used in Dodge Sweptline trucks from 1961 - 1971, as well.

The speedo and tach were labeled Stewart-Warner from Dodge from the factory. These were NOT aftermarket additions!

9. 6narow

6narow

I think both Randomrodder and patrick66, together, nailed it.
    The air pressure gauge + low pressure warning light indicate AIR BRAKE system present in former vehicle.
    That means a medium duty commerical, or what we called a "Straight Truck", at the lightest (because a.b.'s aren't applicable under 26,001 lbs.).

Thus, the best guess, from Patrick's list, would be a '57-'74 D-500 - D-800.

6narow

10. R Pope

R Pope

Used to drive a neighbor's "swingfender" Dodge 3-ton that had that panel. Early '60's truck.

11. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Great info! Looks like we have it narrowed pretty good. Might be able to get cables for it now.

12. Rooster

Rooster

4hrs. Amazing! And it kinda even answers my wonderment of why my 70 D-200 has those gauges. But now raises Q of why my 69 doesn't? lol !

13. These gauges were optional in the Sweptline trucks from '61 - '71.

I forgot to mention the C-series "swing fendered" trucks as R Pope said. These were used there, as well. Good catch!

Notice the placard on the dash says "Low Oil OR Air Pressure", so this set of gauges would've been on a medium or HD truck. Without the air pressure gauge, the light would serve as a low oil pressure light, in addition to the oil gauge.

14. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

got a speedo cable if ya need one. i'm guessin it's still good. i can turn it by hand with no binding and the speedo it came from says 19,000 miles which i tend to believe since it was an old orchard truck that rarely left the farm! came on a '59 D100 with the 318 poly/4 speed combo.

15. I couldn't make out what the numbers on the bottom center gauge were. My best bet was that it was the air pressure gauge. My eyes weren't what they used to be. :(

16. 6narow

6narow

I think I've got the input shaft for your 4-speed...was mated to a 330 Ford, though, so I don't know if it'll fit your engine.

6narow

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Cables are very standard with few exceptions. 5/8s female thread on the cable speedo end ,7/8s female on the trans end. Fords 50s on ? used a slip in connection on the trans end. Most car light trucks had .104 square on the innner core ends.

18. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

i had no idea i was huntin a 4 speed input shaft.......

19. 6narow

6narow

Well, if your 4-speed is an NP435, and you ever need one, now you know where to find one.

6narow

20. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

nope.... sm420. gonna use a slushbox anyway and i wouldn't know where to bolt the damn thing onto it:) besides, if it's worn out with 19,000 miles then i dare say it was built worthless right from the factory!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008