Register now to get rid of these ads!

Top excuses you tell your wife!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 28, 2008.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

It's for the kids! It's always for the kids...

2. She don't bake cookies in my shop and I don't assemble engines in her kitchen!! Enough said. Honesty still works best!! Really it does>>>>.

3. btbsandman

btbsandman

I spent 100k on your bloody vet degree, whats a measly 3000 for my Buick.

And it worked!

4. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I suggest you get her interested in your hobby, makes things a lot easier.

5. 29 de soto

29 de soto

thats the gospel!my wife lives like a queen,and never questions my deals.the household budget has nothing to do with the hot rod budget..and i always say when you can buy drapes or a sofa,keep it for five years and its worth double ....let me know!

6. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I dont have to tell her a thing. My wife is as involved in all this as I am and half the time is buying the stuff for me before I even know.

Been married 15 years next week.Been in the hobby 'since I was 2' (says my sister...) and been building for over 25 years.

The last thing I like to see is those guys who lack the balls to say what they really bought with the $$ they earned. Too many of the guys I kow have to 'ask ' their wife - SHeesh- do you gotta raise your hand when you need to go potty too? lol :cool:

7. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I say, "I'm gonna buy this ......", she says, "ok". Thats it, its that easy, she dosent really care.

8. chopped

chopped

I see some of the same guys that can't get along with the neighbor can't get along with the wife either. Strange how some are proud of it.

9. No excuses needed, just plan on spending twice the asking price of anything you buy. You buy a $1000 part, you buy her a $1000 handbag or whatever. :D

10. 60 Belair

60 Belair

You new I was a asshole when you married me.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

My wife knows that im a tight ass and wont blow money on something I dont need. Just have to convince her how much I need it sometimes. :eek:

12. 53floored100

53floored100
    from wichita

my wife and I do pretty good in this area when she met me I had a bagged sonoma so she knew that I was into cars and thru the years she knows that I can sell cars for chaper than I buy em her friend had a 94 aurora that she had and was getting a divorce and said we could have it for 300 bucks 2 years ago I told her sure we will buy it I sold it 4 months later on ebay for 1300.
    she knows that I dont buy stuff if I dont have money but when I am putting in 20 hrs of OT sometimes in a week I tell her the straight pay you can have and if I work sat and sun sun is double time I tell her sun money is mine the rest you and the kids split but she has learned to trust my judgement cause I have yet to loose money on buying and selling cars

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. budman

budman

While at a car show with my hotrod '53 AD a blown bigblock Willys passed my wife and I. She slowly turned to me and said "So, when are you gonna build one of those? Did I marry the right one or Not? No complaints yet!

14. RacerRick

RacerRick

Me and my girl work together on cars and are going to night school taking body work classes together!

I don't need to hide anything from her. She also knows that I usually make money on cars when I sell them.

15. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Awesome! This will be me in a couple of years...I have two cars. Neither are operable at this point. My man has a 59 Chevy that needs brakes and a drivetrain (basically everything important), TWO 39 Ford pickup cabs that are just sitting behind the house, and he wonders why I get pissy when he wants to buy another project. Granted, I did the same thing, but I have NO plans for any other cars. Period. I can barely afford the ones I have. So can he. Moral of the story fellas, tell us the truth. Otherwise, when we find out, the wrath of hell will be seen on earth. Not to mention, finish some shit or get rid of it before you buy more. We have 3 people sharing 2 bays in a shop, and he can't understand why it's ill advised to get more cars. Duh. I'm working on my car in a lot full of cheat grass and feral cats, while his stuff is just sitting all cozy like in the shop gathering dust. Just be considerate and honest and you shouldn't have any problem. (I wish this could be anonymous, my man's a HAMBer too...I LOVE YOU HONEY!).

16. I fall in the group that's lone wolf - no wife!

I come with a big pile of junk from day one, if she doesn't like what she's getting into there's more where she came from.

But I have to think I'd liken it to the shoes if I was in that spot, as in, I don't ask why you need 10,000 pairs of shoes, so why are you asking me about needing 10,000 parts for these cars?

17. skidsteer

skidsteer

"I'm thinking of buying" so and so. However, she doesn't realize that it's already in the garage, and being sand-blasted, as we speak. The other details will follow as soon as the time is right, and she's in a good mood.

18. It will get better mileage with a new cam/intake/headers/exhaust.... no it shouldn't be any louder

s.

19. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

"I swear, shes just a friend!"...

20. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Yea, then my wife wants jewlery!!! Its an investment she says!!!HAHAHA:rolleyes:

21. repoguy

repoguy

I don't like having to justify what I do, what I buy, where I've been, what I'm thinking, why I'm thinking it, who said what, etc, etc.....

So therefore I'm not married. :D

22. No excuses.

My wife didn't get it and we're long divorced. I've dated women since who didn't get it and they are history too. I decided I'd rather be single than live with a woman who doesn't understand the obsession.

When I started dating my current girlfriend I told her about my cars, showed her my "office" filled with car parts and toys, models, art, and lowbrow "stuff", I showed her pictures of my Dad's cars and shots from shows I went to as a kid. I introduced her to my Dad and showed her his collection of car "stuff". It's pretty obvious that this isn't a passing fad, take it or leave it. So far she's sticking around, and she's survived the Lonestar Roundup and Dixie Fried (that was the true test :D ).

23. 65fordguy

65fordguy

If your a car guy... you pretty much have to go around with a shirt on that says hey im a car guy...take it or leave it.. I told my wife on our first date that my hobby is working on cars... spending money on cars... if you dont like it than you wont like me. So far so good! I have been through several cars and trucks since we have been together... my last project was a 96 z 71. i paid 6grand for.. it had 70k miles on it. I put 3000 into it. and it got stolen last thanksgiving.. I got back 13000!! my camaro I paid 10 500 for I got 16 when I sold it. now this 65 ford even though Ill never sell it... I dont tell her that .. even though I think she knows it. I feel this truck will be the last thing me and my dad get to do before he gets to where he cant do it anymore. so im likely to hold on to it. As long as I dont bug her about it...or tell her what things cost...or how much work is involved... she doesnt care.... she told me not to tell her to keep her from going nutts.lol. I dont mind !

24. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

My wife said, and I quote: "If you have a wife you need to make excuses to then you're married to the wrong woman."

She bought me a set of gauges for our anniversary - NOS SW gauges out of a Huppmobile. She knew I wanted'em, and got'em for me!

In fact, she is the one who encouraged me to get my Dubble A, and even pushed me to finish the RPU to get it to the HAMB drags!

I tell you this much... *I* am one of the most lucky bastards out there!

25. Mack81

Mack81
    from Tennessee

I'm so indecisive on everything with the cars because my wife is the first woman to truly understand that this is what I love to do. It's kinda wierd sounding, but I feel like a kid in a candy store, like the possibilties are endless. Because of this I go back and forth at least ten times a day on what I want to do next with the cars. I'm sure she gets a little tired of hearing it becuase when I say "hey babe, look at this" she says "why don't you just get it." Sometimes I wish she would just tell me what I need to get next so I don't stew about it all day and night.

26. oldguy829

oldguy829

Like many others we have separate accounts for our "personal use".
    Here's what has worked for 25 years - We talk about the cars before I buy them. Always get her input on the body style, etc. Once she says she likes it, i start talking about how much work it will be, it will cost a lot, etc. Then she says 'but you enjoy it so much, and it's an investment, go ahead. " I now have an open pass to spend as much time and money as I want, no questions asked.
    Lately she has been talking about how I could redo cars after I retire, and make some extra money. Not sure how I'm going to explain how it really works.

27. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Bingo!! My wife told me something similar as well. I am honest with her, and I include her in all of my hot rod related decisions. Sometimes its painful, but 99% of the time she is ok with it. I just recently bought her a 50 merc that I want to build for her...her way. She is making almost all the decisions on the build, and to me, that is awesome! I've got one of those 1%'ers that you only read about, just like gotzrider's lady.

28. 65fordguy

65fordguy

btt... for the new crowd. ;)

29. SlamIam

SlamIam

Ditto.