Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front axle help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55project, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

I'm going to put a straight front axle back in my 33 Ply over the winter,,

First, how much drop was stock in a 33 Cpe? I know these were tube axles in the Mopars. I would much rather have an "I"-beam..

I can go either way, stock set up with the 2 front springs or a Ford cross over spring. I have a complete Ford set-up with a brand new disc brake set-up , new king pins and split bones, ect..

>>>> So which would handle better ??:confused:

Also, does anyone make a 142 or 177 style small blower for a 318 mopar ??

2. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

it's not the blower ya gotta worry about. it's the intake. i'd suggest checkin out all the manufacters websites. somebody has gotta be throwin off blower intakes for the baby chryslers. also, i've got a '33 plymouth axle under my roadster and it's a beautiful piece! the compound curves are unbelievable. i'm not positive but i think it's a 3 inch drop and it is a stocker. i'll double check the number for ya if you want.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

I put the pick in my save photos, Thanks,.., It will help with my choice on the spring location.

That axles isn't too bad, i could get use to that, probably hard to find. I was going with the old Ford axle, because i already have everything from a previous project, sold the car and have a bunch of parts left, lol... And it's the right size.. Right now the car has an old Vega front frame section tacked under it, easy pull out. And a mustang II rack. I'll attach a pic of the car.

And i looked thru all the web sites on the intake set-up, No small Mopar, just the big blowers for the big motors.

I'll keep looking,

Thanks again for the help and the pic. & Here's my new toy..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

With an I beam axle you can use a buggy spring and split rods. With a tubular axle, you will tend to bind the suspension (depending on what radius rods you use) since the tube axle will not twist to accomodate the motion the way an I beam will. So, if you use the stock tubular axle, use the two stock springs, too.

5. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

If that's the case, i'll definitly go with 1 of my Ford axles, i have the bones already, stock and split.

Thanks..

6. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

lottsa guys out there runnin tubes on bones with no problems. it's not like we're building 'em for indycar style handling... mines set up on a 4 bar and i anticipate zero issues with it. besides it looks cool!!
    heres yer website for smallblock chrysler chargers!! kinda pricey but scroll down and they've got what ya want listed in stock.http://www.dyersblowers.com/1694.html

7. PLEASE tell me you aren't going to cut a hole in that hood! Some Torq-Thrusts or other early wheels would look great on there.

8. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

I have the ford axle, so i'll probably go with it, i did just find a 33 Ply axle, it was a I beam, i'm working on it, just don't know what they make for the disc brake conversion, if i could use what i have that would be great,

And thanks for the link, i'll head there next..

9. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

No cutting just yet, the car is all metal and very nice,. I just would like to find a little under the hood set-up to help the motor get out of it's own way, lol

I will more than likely go with the T/T rims, but i also have a set of nice steelies i can black out and put on some new chrome lugs, should look good enuff for me..

>>> I do need the rear hangers/shackels for the front springs if anyone has them, let me know, ( they look like a "C" ) i'll take them asap.. <<<

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There is no DROP in a stock axle.
    A DROPPED axle is dropped (X) inches over stock.

11. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

Yep, i was looking at one tonight, no drop, Just a small arch,

Thanks.

12. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

then somebody did a MASTERFUL job droppin mine at some point in the past. besides,... i'm anti-semantic.....now ya wanna argue the idea that a "straight" axle comes stock with bends? i'm up for it

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008