Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plate or not to plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WACKER60, Sep 3, 2008.

1. WACKER60

WACKER60

Ok.. hears what i got .. if you don't know I am building a 1934 ford fordor for a customer that had been started by another man.. I have got it now finishing it..any way I have a jag frount suspension ..it's painted and chiping.. do i repair the paint ? witch means it will chip again... or plate it?
    I know what I would do.. but the owner of the car is still not sure....
    so what would you folks do ? please help...

thanks WACKER60

2. WACKER60

WACKER60

plate it !!!!

3. WACKER60

WACKER60

thanks 4 all your help...:)

4. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

well, im officially creeped out....

5. On a car with a very visible rear suspension nothing looks better than a fully chromed Jag IRS. Except, of course, a prettied up quick change.

If the suspension is tucked up under fenders and behind a gas tank paint will do. Unless this is going to be some sort of show rod.

Drivers should have chips in their paint.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

he said FRONT suspension.....

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

4 posts since 2006 and half of them are from your split personalities today in some kind of time warp conversation with yourself? Strange, very strange.

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Powder coat or ceramic coat it.

9. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

my first thought

10. I think the last two posts were sarcastic since no one answered in the first two hours.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This post got me thinking. Save those Jag rears. I did my first one 30 years ago...as in 1978. Could they become nostalgic?:)

Not appropriate for this board but they are an old time hotrod suspension update. The next one was in fact a 34 4 door...front and rear. The owner loved it. You couldn't see it but it rode smooth and handled well.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  12. flnudistcpl

flnudistcpl

We found 2 jag rears in a you pull it yard here last time we were there. I think I'll go see what they want for them on sat.

13. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

the rear to get out of a jag is from a XKE for a hot rod and the front suspension was cool looking too.

14. My friend Dick Valenzuela has owned his 32 three window for over 50 years. He was/is buddies with Jerry Kugle. Jerry's first product was a kit to put front and rear Jag suspension in hot rods. He gave Dick the drawings and he fabricated his own. They have been in the car for something like 45 years. Even by today's IFS/IRS standards it rides nice and handles like a sports car.

As for traditional, it is very appropriate for a 60s era build. And there seems to be a lot of that going on here and now.

Attached Files:

15. alchemy

alchemy

Not quite 1960's, but maybe beginning 1970's. I'm pretty sure Kugel was poineering his kits in about 1970.

When are we gonna be nostalgic for the 70's? Wide O 50's, earth colors, all the trim and accessories, button tufted naugahide........

As for the original question, how about a quick zinc plate? Cheap and somewhat durable, with some shine to it too.

16. WACKER60

WACKER60

Yesterday, 10:34 PM #4
    johnrockin creeped out about what? ya skeeerd of plating?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008