Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 66 Vette Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 231ramona, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 231ramona

231ramona

Here are some pictures of our 66 Vette Gasser project. Car is reported to have been campaigned around the Columbus OH area and I would appreciate any info anyone has. It looks to have been green at one time. We have a factory 425 hp 427 for it and will be running a 4 speed. I just purchased a new pedal assembly from Johnnie at Reno Rod and Custom and am very impressed with it. Since getting it home I have stripped it down to the frame for engine placement and should be setting up the engine/tranny location soon.

Attached Files:

2. Just Jones

Just Jones

Way to go - nice score on a beautiful car.

I saw this one for sale too, but couldn't afford it given the other projects I already have going. Good luck and have fun with it - do it justice!

3. Nice score. Hope to see it around.

4. 1929rats

1929rats

yep....nice one...I saw it for sale too.....bilding one myself so Ive been scowering for parts, then saw that....lots of hard work done on that car already! good luck

5. Bodacious

Bodacious

Three words come to mind: BAD-FUCKING-ASS!
    I did some drag racing in central Ohio in the late 70s, early 80s but never saw this car. I'm sure I'd have never forgotten it if I had.

6. 231ramona

231ramona

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post update pics from time to time.

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Glad to see it found a home....

8. 231ramona

231ramona

It's been a while since I posted this thread and thought I would run it by everyone again. I have had several replies but nothing has panned out so far. We didn't have it ready for Bowling Green as planned but we are making good progress. I'll post some new pictures soon. Any information or ideas will be greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone who has responed so far.

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great car! Not a whole lot of Corvette left there. :D

Is the rear control arm attached to the frame (behind the driveshaft loop) using a pin? :confused:

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

that's really cool.

12. 231ramona

231ramona

Yes, it has a quick-release pin on each side with coil-over springs and airbags on a 61 Olds rear end. It's a really well-built car.

13. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I think I saw that car on ebay once. Might've been another one but it sure looks like it.

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome car more pics please!!!!

15. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

That thing is bad as shit! I would like to do a vette gasser myself...always liked them. That is the only way to do a vette!

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Saw that car for sale too.Wish I had the money. Goodluck with it.I love those early vette's

17. 231ramona

231ramona

Well, as always, this project is taking longer than planned but life keeps getting in the way. The polished aluminum firewall is complete and test fitted and I'm pretty happy with it. It required reshaping the cowl area to accept a flat plate but I like it much better than the original. The engine and transmission mounts are done and the rebuilt engine is test fitted and looks good other than raising the front 3 inches. The rear end is at the powder-coaters and the spool is ready to go back in. The fuel tank, pump, and filter are trial fit as is the battery mount.

The pedal assembly and steering is complete but currently out of the car and the floors and seats have been test fitted. There is still alot to do but most of the hard work is done and I'm ready to fit the headers and radiator. I'll put on some better pictures once I get the rear end back in and can roll it outside.

I have looked at 100's of pages of drag pictures and posted on several sites and have not been able to find any history on this car. We know the recent history but that is all. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'd really like to hear your comments or suggestions on the project so far.

Attached Files:

18. Butch M

Butch M

look's great..can't wait to see that bad boy done.......

19. 454navyss

454navyss

20. 231ramona

231ramona

Well, I knew there had to be some old pictures of our 66 Vette Gasser from it's days on the track but I've been looking for several years with no luck. Once again, the H.A.M.B. comes through. I got a message from "35touring" with 2 pictures he found. Thanks again!! It's without question the same car and looks remarkably well preserved. If anyone knows the car or anything about it, I would love to hear it. These pictures are in the Doug Potter and Tommy Erwin collections. I've got to get to their web sites and order these.

Attached Files:

21. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Very cool project, looks good

22. Congratulations on the pic finds. Its always alot of fun to learn more history on your racecars history.

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

That's really good news. I know you have been looking for years. Cool stuff-Jim

24. That's so cool to finally find some pictures of the Corvette.

25. dblgun

dblgun

Very cool car, I look forward to the progress.

26. What a bonus, finding the original pics.
    Looking forward to your progress posts.

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn how did I miss this???

28. Pictures make it even a better find... like some one said bad ass Hope to see it at Bowling Green next year.

29. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

absoultely bitchin.

30. That is one badass Vette, glad to see you're making some serious progress with it.