Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Converter Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I recently just had a B&M Holeshot 2400 torque converter given to me from a friend. It only has about 500 miles on it, so basically brand new. I would like to use it in one of my cars, but don't know if it would help me out. I am currently driving a 1960 Chevy Belair 4 door with a 283 that is stock except for intake and carb. It has a stock th-350 and stock rearend with 3.08 gears. Do you think using this converter will help out at all? Would it be a waste of my time? It is my daily driver.

2. Leave the Chevy as is.

Granted, it could help in the launch a little bit, but it will add heat to the transmission until you get it over lockup speed while cruising.

I have the same converter on my 462" Buick powered roadster.
    Purchased mainly to stop creep at stoplights when I ran the bigger cam.
    The engine idled/idles down to 600 rpm and the converter didn't seem to make any difference.

Fwiw, the roadster has 3.70 gears and 30" tall tires.
    You may want to compare that to your 3.08 diff and tire height.

Hang onto it for another project.

That said, the next project - also a roadster with 462" Buick engine, 3.00 diff and 28" tall tires, running the original big cam I tried in the 32 gets a milder, lower stall rated converter.

Even with the car being an occasional runner at the dragstrip it should launch just fine.
    Something about light weight and lots of torque....:D

3. squirrel

squirrel

I agree...but if you want to get the old chevy to be a bit quicker off the line, you could install the converter along with some other parts and probably see a noticeable improvement in performance. I'd consider dual exhaust (if it's single now) and headers, and a larger cam, and some 3.55 or 3.70 rear gears (if you don't have to do a lot of highway driving).

Installing just the converter is probably not worthwhile.

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'd stay away from the high stall converter in a heavy street car. Like C9 says it will heat up the tranny more that the stocker. In a heavy car it will always be stalling to some degree to keep the behemoth moving. You will loose some MPG also. If your going to run an auto the best bet is a 700R4. Super low 1st gear for coming off the line and the added benefit of an overdrive and lockup converter.

5. boscosis

boscosis

If you don't mind the hassle of dropping the tranny I'd do it. I've got exactly the same converter in my '62 with a stock 350. I'm using a B&M shift kit in the TH350 also. Personally, I like it and it's what I had when I put the tranny in the car. It's not at all noticable under normal drivng, it just makes it a little peppier off the line. I never check the mileage, and the way I drive the car I don't care if it's heating the fluid a little more, if it bothers you add an extra cooler.
    That's just my opinion.

6. why was it taken out after only 500 miles? i'm always suspicious of used parts

i say if your car is working fine , leave it as is

7. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thanks for the help guys. It was taken out due to not enough stall. He went with a 3000 stall instead. The converter has been sitting around, I said I would take it off his hands and he just gave it to me. I think I will hold on to it and use it another time. I will probable do different gears next on the car instead. Thanks.

8. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Leave well enough alone. Youll stay happier.

9. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

most have the right answer, squirrel has the reasons - youre completely stock drivetrain will not benefit at all - R&C had a really good Torque Converter explaantion article a couple motnhs back, if I find it, Ill post it

10. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

11. boscosis

boscosis

It's just my opinion, not right or wrong, so much for hot rodding...............

always leave it stock.