Register now to get rid of these ads!

BARN FIND! What is this Buick worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Sep 1, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I found a 1940 Buick 4-door buried in a barn for 30 years. It was totally covered under junk. I pulled enough away to take these photos. Here is what I see:

Good:
    Body is sound and looks to be completely untouched
    All stock
    Has overhead valve straight 8
    Rechromed bumpers
    Pair of spotlights on the front seat never installed
    Brakes "redone" before storage
    Tires still held air
    Dual side mount spare tires

Bad:
    Interior is infested with mice and will need total do-over
    Exhaust manifold is cracked - possibly could be welded
    Cloth wiring is rotted
    Running board is separated from right fender - possible rot
    I couldn't move enough junk to look at the passenger side, the rear, or underneath
    Glass is cloudy and needs replacing
    Rubber is cracked
    I can't even tell if it is stick or auto.

I have 24 hours to make an offer
    WHAT SHOULD I GIVE FOR THIS CAR?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you.

2. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

3. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

If they dont want to give you a price of what they want for it, then low ball the shit out of it, and when ( if ) they say no, then you say something along the lines of;

"Well thats what I was thinking, how far off are we?"

Works everytime with someone that wont give you a price.
    As for what its worth that depends on how bad you want it, and what are you going to do w/it.

4. buford26

buford26

They only had 3-speed column shift that year. Value depends on the series, for a #5 car (restorable) from the Standard Catalog of Buick, published 2004:

Four door sedan:

Special (series 40) $2640, 121 inch wheel base
    Super (series 50) $2760, 121 inch wheel base
    Century (series 60) $3000, 126 inch wheel base
    Roadmaster (series 70) $3240, 126 inch wheel base
    Limited (series 80 and 90) $3720-$4080, 133 and 140 inch wheel base

I can't read what it says on the side, do you know what series it is? Dual side mounts might increase the value some.

5. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

I would offer a Grand . ya got to start some place!

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It says "Limited" on the hood latch.

No way can I get a tape measure in there to check w.b. But I've seen a '40 Buick "Limo" with flip-up third seats and it isn't that. I'm guessing its the 133 incher.
    Thanks.

7. Scotch

Scotch

1500-2500 is ballpark

8. buford26

buford26

Limiteds are rare cars, total production for series 80 and 90 was 6055 in 1940. The most popular Limited was the series 80, model 40-81 four door touring sedan with a production of 3810. There should be a tag on the cowl with the numbers on it.

9. I could have picked up a '40 Super sedan that was close to being a runner last year for .. I think he wanted $4000 for it. A Limited is probably worth that, but I've also seen a really nice '40 coupe (another Super in this case) that they only wanted $7000 for - you could drive it, but you could also see a LOT of window screen mesh peeking through the paint in the rockers and ends of the fenders.

The way the market is now it won't be an easy car to flip, if you can't get a number out of them lowball and act like thats what you can afford.

10. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

5 gillion dollars

11. The_Monster

The_Monster

looks cool. ask 1500, see what happens

12. To the right restorer, just those side mount fenders would be worth 2K.

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The car's only worth book value if the seller is presenting it in a manner that allows you to determine the car's condition. Right now you don't know if the frame is rotted out or the engine is stuck or if the right rear corner is full of poorly done 1959 crash repair.

Presented as it is, I'm personally gonna start at $400 and go from there.

good luck

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

We could play gangster in that ride! Does it run?

15. zacanger

zacanger

I'd see if you can get it out of there to take a closer look before offering anything....

That said, I'd a totally sweet piece of metal.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  16. oldsman71

oldsman71

ive seen two specials around here 3800 to 4300 dollars, the strait 8 cars seem to be worth more around here.I would start by offering 1500 and go from there. i would also pull it out befor you close the deal.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't know that much about that era Buick, should have twin carbs I think, and they were trouble on one a friend had years ago. That looks like a money pit IMO, offer $1,500 and hope to flip it for $2,500+, that is a lot of automoble to look at if it takes a while to sell.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for all your comments and knowledge. I think I will offer them $1500 and offer to clean out the garage personally to get to it. I like the idea of making the sale conditional until I get it out though. Thanks.

I'll keep you posted if I get it. If I do I will probably have to shop for a fedora and a pinstripe suit too. I already have half a Tommy gun - need to get the other half.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

That car should be kept intact if possible. It would make a great road car.
    Just my opinion.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Flyer, Sounds like a good way to get it, offer to take all the "Junk" away, and eBay it. I have and it works real well. I see a collector chainsaw in one photo.

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I always say... "Jeez, I cant be both the BUYER and the SELLER... You're gonna have to name a price." This usually makes them snap to attention and blurt out SOMETHING...
    It shows what they're thinking and gives an idea if they have a realistic number in mind.

22. James427

James427
    BANNED

I think that's a cool car and so do a lot of more door fans. Has that limo look. I'd say it's REAL value after being pulled out and rinsed off is about $3,500. But I would not pay that for it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  23. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Damn good idea right there. That way you don't piss him off with a low ball offer. The guy knows what he wants, and he is just fishing.

24. henryj429

henryj429

Chop it and slam it.

Life will be good.

25. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I agree with Roothawg, it's more of a restorer's parade car than a hot rod. Looks to me like it was being used that way until something broke years ago and got rolled into the garage and forgotten.

I'd pass on it and look for something else. Your $1500 is not a bad idea but I hope you like it because it could be yours for a long while.

26. TexasDart

TexasDart

hmmm....I'd better go check it out for you...where's it at..:)

27. Squablow

Squablow

I'd be giggling with glee if I could score that for 2 grand. I love bomb style lowriders and this car only needs a visor, some teardrop skirts and the right stance to make it happen. Even 3 would be a good deal, from what I can see.

It would be a crime against humanity to part it out, but there's an easy 5K worth of parts on that car, being it's so complete and with rare options and good chrome. If you absolutely had to sell it you could double your money that way.

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well the lady that owned said her son did an internet search and found out it was a rare car and they decided not to sell it.

Buggy whips are rare too, but if no one is searching for one that doesn't mean they are extermely valuable either. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all your insight.

29. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

We had a similar 40 series limo at our shop for quite a while. It belonged to a local mortician and had been involved in a head on collision with a late model Cadillac. (It totaled the Cadillac, did some minor damage to the Buick). These cars are both massive and enormous. They will completely occupy a 4-post lift. Replacement parts are apparently made from 24K gold. The retail value of a good running, nice looking, well maintained stocker is a pittance compared to the amount of time, money and labor it would take to get one back on the road. They are an elegant looking car though and would be worth the effort if you planned on keeping it.

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The Buick, Olds, Pontiac 4-doors just don't look good hot rodded IMHO.... I had one and sold it.