Register now to get rid of these ads!

typical old guy" gonna RESTORE that one".....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pittsburgholdschooler, Aug 30, 2008.

1. 66 Belle

66 Belle

Yup, had a father-in-law like that. ran a junk yard and all kinds of the old iron. I was married to one of his daughters and couldn't even buy any of it. Was gonna let me use a chevy station wagon to tow a camper to Minnesota. hadn't run for 3 years, worked on it for 2 days and got it running, he said it didn;t sound right came out with a tach/dwell meter, killed it. Worked on it for 2 more days and could never get it started again. Just walked away shaking my head. All the stuff he had just rusted away or was crushed.

2. roddinron

roddinron

I know it well, my wife was their next door neighbor. I remember him binging those cars in in the sixties. Most were actually drivable when he parked them there. He was a strange old bird, but I always enjoyed talking with him. He wouldn't sell you a lug nut off one of those cars, and always told me how I ruined cars by turning them into hot rods, I guess he preferred to turn them into dust.
    Notice that some of those cars are all painted the same color, he used to drive around on his tractor spraying paint over them to preserve them, windows and all. When he ran out of one color, he switched to another, it was a rainbow of cars, hundred of them, parked in neat rows covering his farm.
    He actually believed that he would one day put them all under a roof and spent much time gathering materials, and trying to gather support from politicians to help make it happen. He really believed that people would flock to a museum filled with rusty, paint covered old cars, and maybe he was right.
    In the end, at the auction, even the cars that sold, were so bad that they were torn apart trying to load them onto trailers. It was really sad.
    PS
    you shoulda' seen the stuff he had hidden in the barn, all gone now

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

That wouldnt be Archie would it? Sure sounds like it....

4. roddinron

roddinron

This was one of his "parade cars" this one was perfect back in the late sixty's when he parked it there. Note the paint job as I mentioned above. Then when he ran out of blue he switched colors, notice the green one behind it.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

poor little terreplane...

6. 63Compact

63Compact

He even painted the golf cart! What a nutter.......

7. Deeznuts

Deeznuts

I remember back in '92 or 3 I spotted a '64 fairlane post car whle riding around out in the country. It was in primer, sitting out next to a barn. I pulled in and knocked. One of the hottest girls I have ever seen answered the door. Man it was like a dream, she had on short cut off shorts ahhhhh I'm getting off topic, but anyway, she was hot! But to make a long story short, it belongs to her grand father and he ws gonna fix it up. It's still sitting in the same spot today!

8. I had a father in law like that. WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT.

9. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Yup, I've got a sumular storie but I won't even go into the details. I wore out a long time ago on knocking on doors, too much of the same ol shit.

10. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I found a yard, about an acre or so, in Nebraska with about 40 old fords from 27 through 55 or so, all pretty complete, talked to an old guy who could barely walk or talk and he wouldn't even discuss selling them, said he was going to take them with him when he died. I would like to see that, even if it meant losing out on some great old cars. I felt like telling him to stick them up his ...!

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Went to a yard sale that had a bunch of junk auto parts, in the garage was a 34 Ford 5 window coupe. It was black and unmolested. Asked the owner who was every bit of 85 if he was interested in selling it. He replied" no, some day I'm going to restore it". Guess he's waiting until he's in his nineties to start on it.

12. roddinron

roddinron

Keep checking back, chances are, there's gonna be an estate sale there in the near future.