Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another ticket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skuzkitty, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skuzkitty

skuzkitty

So last Wednesday I got a ticket for no exhaust on my 34',which is my daily driver and has been for the past 3 years. I run Zoomies on her.So then tonight the same cop pulls me over,gives me another ticket for the same thing,no exhaust.I go to court Tuesday.Any advice?
    And just to let you know I am a chick in a kool ride!Don't think that didn't help any cuz it didn't!!!!!!#%^!(&%
    And isn't that harassment???? he said I should not be driving it either,like driving on a suspended license or some s**T!!!!

2. Joe King

Joe King

It could be hard to fight a no exhaust ticket when you have no exhaust. And it's not harassment if your breaking the law.

3. Bodacious

Bodacious

Well let's analyze the situation. You're breaking the law and bitching about having to pay the price for doing so. Nope, doesn't sound like harassment to me..... :rolleyes:

4. Scott K

Scott K

Put an exhaust on it. Some battles aren't worth the skin.
    Your an easy mark now, bet all his buddies know about you too. More ticket's for you.

5. 29paul

29paul

Keep a box of doughnuts in your car that may get you out of ticket.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Any advice?

I agree. Put some exhaust on it. He's going to be watching for you and from the sounds of things (hehe, get it? Sounds of things) you aren't going to be hard to find.

7. ask him in court if he got a db meter reading???,other wise it is subjective useless you ratted yourself out and said it had no baffles...........and then get some baffles installed.....

8. Flatman

Flatman

Sounds like the cop's got your number and is making a career out of you. You can put an exhaust system on the truck and be legal, but if it's still loud, they'll just ticket you for excessive noise.:rolleyes:

Flatman

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

If you're runnin zoomies just put snuffers in the pipes to quiet it down alittle at least. Try that in NY state and you won't get 3 miles down the road.

10. shoot his ass next time!!! NO just kidding. I could always put an exhaust on it with a handle release for the dump :) I doubt you will be able to get outta the ticket, but I would check all your laws you may be exempt if your vehicle is registered a certain way, or a certain year.

Will

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Last i knew open exhaust was illegal in almost all 50 states :) Id maybe work some over time to pay the fines and get some decent exhaust.
    Dave

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have no problem with zoomies . They are great at the car shows but NOT on the street . Lets face it ZOOMIES say look at me !! Am I loud enough ?? Really you were asking for it and after 3 years , be thankfull . Just put some mufflers on it with cut outs and if you see a cop pull a switch and close them up . That is what most people do when running open exhaust on the street . NOW as for the 2 tickets , you can beat one because you haven't gone to court for it yet and the tickets are for the same problem . Now if it were me , suck it in and put mufflers in the zoomies to quiet them down . Plan and simple OPEN EXHAUST ASKS FOR TROUBLE !!!!! Just pay the fine and be done with it . Court cost much , much more $$$$$ !!! Good Luck in court and hope the judge is a car guy or gal !! Oh say HI to the cop next week when you get pulled over again . The cop knows your ride and can hear you comming too well !

13. I'm not an attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...Maybe some folks on here that are real attorneys can advise you, but just off of the top of my head...

I would either have an attorney do it or do your own search to find out what your local laws say before you find yourself in court. The odds are there is a 'noise-law' on the books that defines X-number of decibels at Y-distance for motorized vehicles. Assuming there is a such a law on the books, then you'll know if you have case or not. If they do not have such a law on the books, find out what 'law' or 'ordinance' you supposedly broke...Again, once you know the law, you can either fight it or know that you may have little chance to fight it. Most municipalities write themselves some very vague 'general nuisance' laws to cover a wide variety of behavior, or in our case, vehicle modifications they do not like such as loud exhaust, loud stereos, etc.

You might be pleasantly surprised to find that they have no definitive law and perhaps you can beat the rap...

Based upon what the officer said, you may wish to check to make sure your registration or license has not been suspended?!?!? If so, that would be a big steaming pile of Not Good.

Either way, if you can afford it, get yourself a good lawyer....if you can't afford a good lawyer, talk to your employer about adding ARAG as a benefit...ARAG gives me full access to a local lawyer of my choosing for about $25.00 a month. It is well worth it-it let's regular working folk have legal protection that we all need.

http://www.araggroup.com/

Oh yeah...and one more thing...follow lot of the above HAMBers advice in the previous posts....DO put some sort of baffle, exhaust,or mufflers with cutouts please so as not to keep finding yourself in this predicament again.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Did you file the tickets under CS ??????

15. roddinron

roddinron

So what makes you so fuckin' special? put an exhaust on it and quit bitchin' before you ruin it for all of us. Why should the rest of the world have to put up with your noise? A nice sounding exhaust is one thing, but screamin' "hey, look at me" with an open exhaust at the expense of everyone else's right to a little peace and quiet is just selfish and immature. Grow up, pay your fine, and accept the fact that you screwed up---TWICE!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That why all of use rodders keep getting more NEW laws to give us a harder time to get our rods on the street !

17. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Wait! what? she's a girl with a HotRod. Let's defend her. Whether she's right or wrong, she's RIGHT in my book. I say baffle the Zoomies and keep going. Check the RCW. in your area, then fight! B

18. 61TBird

61TBird

I think it's time to put mufflers on the "rat rod"... ;-P

19. jj mack

jj mack

how many harleys do you hear running without exhaust?

2 many, and they dont get harassed

20. jj mack

jj mack

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Like some others have said ,
    in court ask what the DB level was ,he has to prove it ,AND most likly the judge will throw out this one and I would bring up the other ticket to the DA and he will handle that also,Its worth a try!
    put some baffles in it or you will get some more pretty pink paper...

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I can't quote it Word perfect but the Ct. law on exhaust states that it must run parrallel to the ground under the car and to a point beyond the passenger compartment or behind the rear wheels and must exit to the side or rear outside the vechile not underneath it there is also vague wording of it not creating unnessaryly loud noise.In this case zoomies no matter how quiet are not legal,The cops have been pretty reasonable about fairly quiet hot rod type exhaust.I would get a copy of exactly what your state requires for exhaust and meet those standards do it before your court date and drive the rod to court with its new conforming exhaust and you just might get both tickets dismissed when they can see you comply to the laws involved.

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

No, I couldn't disagree more.

Where do you think the anti hot rod laws come from? It comes from them annoying the public or posing safety issues.

Zoomies are loud, and probably aggravate people on a daily basis.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Don't know about your state, but in California, if you're caught for the same offense, you could have gotten a ticket for Failure to Comply. This is $150 plus 1 point. It's to keep people from making the same mistake the third time.

25. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I run open lake pipes in NY, including NYC, and I have never been stopped for any reason, let alone noise. Knock on wood!!!

Weaver is right, get a lawyer. If you don't have time (and even if you plan on defending yourself), ask for a continuance. That will give you time to get your ducks in a row. And the longer you stretch it out, the better. When you appear Tuesday, take note if the cop is not there. If he does not show, motion for dismissal for failure to prosecute. The judge can dismiss on that. At worst, the judge will specify a new, later date. If the cop is there motion for an extension, stating that you need time to get a lawyer. The plan is to stratch it out as long as you can. That way the cop might retire or, perhaps, not remember things as well when you finally have your day in court. You can also try negotiating with the DA before the hearing; perhaps plead it down to a safety violation (lights inoperative, for example) with a small fine. Lawyers do the negotiating-with-the-DA-thing real well; not as easy for a lay person. Also, wear conservative clothing - look as respectable as you can - make the point that this is a custom car and it is not out of the ordinary for collector cars of this type to seem louder than stock automobiles.

The other HAMB folks who pointed out that a proper noise citation usually requires precise testing are correct. This, again, is where your lawyer earns his keep. He or she will know the local regulations and the best way to establish reasonable doubt.

Good luck! You are being persecuted, IMHO. There is no crime in having a loud hot rod. It's not like every other car on the road has open pipes.

26. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Do we pass un baffled hotrods on the street on a "Daily Basis?" Probably NOT! Safety issues? Loud pipes save lives. Just my 2ct.

27. Yes, that and a "Bad Cop, No Doughnut" bumper sticker.

28. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

29. blown41

blown41

30. Next time wear something low cut . Anybody knows that ,this isn't rocket surgery !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.