Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use a Suicide Knob ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

Does anyone have Suicide Knobs on their cars ? What is the correct positioning for them ?? Any Pics ??? Let's see them......

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

10:30 on the wheel usually.... aka Brodie knobs or cheater knob

3. yeah i have one, i have it low on the left of my steering wheel.But i need one my right arm was crushed.Other people i know that have had them say that they got in the way because they stick out proud of the steering wheel and can catch your arm if you are not used 2 them.

4. sun down

sun down
    from tx

had one on the truck I sold, we called them poor boys power steering..

5. 60 Belair

60 Belair

got one on my 27 t ,I got it low to the right do it wherever it feels good (thats what she said ) later Andy

6. brewsir

brewsir

My dad has one on his truck because of a disability....had to get a prescription for it from a doctor due to some prick highway patrolman ...don't know why they would not be legal for everyone...but in Colorado he was told they are not. I sure like driving his truck when I get the chance though!!!

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have one at two o'clock on my '46 Pontiac. I've had several Colorado Highway patrolman check out my car and they never said a word about the John Deere knob and yes, it is against the law here.

8. Flatman

Flatman

Illegal up here. That said, we had an old retired mechanic at our high school auto shop that had one in his Buick that flipped to the inside of the steering wheel to house a clock. Cool item, haven't seen one like it since.

Flatman

9. R Pope

R Pope

We called 'em "necker's knobs" back when. Illegal here, too, except on tractors. I have one on a JD "R".

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like this one?.......

Attached Files:

11. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i have one on both my trucks. been stopped a couple of times they never said a word. i more worried about the antique signs that make the bed of my truck. i can just see them thinking they are stolen street signs.

12. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a swing away one on my truck, flip the switch and it lays flat with the wheel, I use it mosty when I back the truck up.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think they are illegal here also but nobody cares anymore. Sort of an outdated law.

I had one on the inside lower right side of my wheel. Outside of the wheel and they are knuckle busters.

14. theflame

theflame

Why would they be illegal though? Jus' curious...

15. Greasy71

Greasy71
    from SoCal

I got one at about 9 o'clock on the inside of the wheel. Definately comes in handy without power steering! I understand the poor boys power steering comment!

16. cruzr

cruzr

yup

Attached Files:

17. Blue

Blue

I have mine at 2o'clock on the inside of the wheel rim.
    I think they're illegal over here. I just take it off when I take my truck in for it's 6 monthly Warrant of Fitness.

18. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

HAHAHA...I just bought one in K-Mart of all places....hard little item to find!! Not legal in Jersey but hey, what is!! -E

19. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I just got one off of eGay but haven't installed it yet. Have reconstructive shoulder surgery Aug. 6th so I think it will help a lot (as well as look cool!)

20. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

my 49 has what appears to be a old ass painted wood soo-e-side knob on it. Its between the 4 and 5 o'clock position.

21. Packrat

Packrat

I've got one on the '40 at about 2 o'clock, that's the most comfortable place for me. I use it a lot!

22. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Every Third World taxi driver I've seen, seems to have one in their cab. The Koreans use the hell out of it, Pakistanis and Iraqis too. Egyptians as well, but they also drive at night with their lights off to save gas or battery power or whatever?:confused: Maybe thats why I don't like em much, having served in those dumps.

I could see how it would help if you didn't have power steering though. Crusing around town should be fine but for intense driving I'd skip it.

Old Military Vehicles were notorious for busted knuckles and broken fingers because of those things. They do call them "Suicide Knobs."

23. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

heres mine posted down at aboutthe 4 oclock position on the steering wheel

Attached Files:

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because in an emergency manuver, your arm could get caught in it and interfer with the steering - at least that's what a cop told me 30+ years ago when he told me to get rid of it.

They're illegal in New York, as is most everything.......:rolleyes:

25. Cruiser

Cruiser

Kerry 67,

I think suicide knobs look cool as long as they're put on real tight. There's good reason to call them suicide knobs, they can brake loose and you'll be in a hell of mess in a turn. Ten or two o'clock will workout for most drivers, this gives the most leverage when turning.

CRUISER :cool:

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

I always thought that they were called "Suicide Knobs" because if you got hit head on and went into the steering wheel it would poke into you. Never thought about it busting loose during a turn. GOOD point about making sure it is tight as hell.

27. Bodacious

Bodacious

I like them on old shit with slow, manual steering. Most people either love them or hate them. A friend of mine used to bitch like hell every time he'd borrow my old Dodge truck that had one. I'd just laugh. :D
    Get a nice one if you get one, one that's got a bearing in it. The cheap ones suck.

28. Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by theflame [​IMG]
    Why would they be illegal though? Jus' curious...
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Suicide knobs are illegal, but in most parts it's perfectly legal for Malibu Barbie, Super-Soccer-Mom or Joe Salesguy to be totally distracted from their driving by texting on a cell-phone, fiddling with their GPS, MP3 player, Sirius/XM tuners etc-All of these driving distractions are legal but a suicide knob is illegal?!?!?
    What a wacky set of laws we accept....I'd have to challenge that ticket in court.

29. Flatman

Flatman

Similar, but it flipped to the inside front to back and displayed the clock when folded, so if you got pulled over it was just a clock:D
    There's tons on "that auction site" but none with clocks, so I'm guessing they didn't make a lot of them.

Flatman

30. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

sort of like illegal ailains ,no body gives a crap,at least they wont take your job....