Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley Trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nayrlloyd, Aug 29, 2008.

1. nayrlloyd

nayrlloyd
    from Georgia

Has anyone ever heard of or seen cracks in a metering plate??? I have a Holley Truck Avenger carb. It had been running fine for about 2 years, then I started having problems. I took it to a mechanic who found the cracked (rear) metering plate. He swapped it out and put it back together. It worked fine for about 100 miles, then started acting up again. This time I disassembled it and found the same thing.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I've searched the whole internet (yes, THE WHOLE INTERNET!!!) and can't find any documentation of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. louietrucks

louietrucks
    from Atlanta ga

I have seen it a couple of times. One on a used carb I bought no idea what happened. The other a buddy had a 23 T with a 351 clevland and it was running good then cranked it one morning and like holleys do with no choke (ok all carbs) it poped and cracked til it warmed up good then ran like junk. figured it blew a power valve replaced it still ran bad we tore carb down and started looking and found the long diag. passage that takes fuel to the squirter was cracked up its length. Replaced metering block and all was good. So has yours backfired through carb hard lately?

3. nayrlloyd

nayrlloyd
    from Georgia

Wow, can't believe someone has actually seen this before. I'll check the power valve and look for the diag. passage way you're talking about. Thanks a million.

BTW, I noticed you're in ATL. I'm in Suwanee - you close by?

4. louietrucks

louietrucks
    from Atlanta ga

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've had one. I wound up surfacing the back of the carb to make sure it was flat with a file. Over tightening the metering plate with any warpage in this joint will keep breaking them.