Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT ? Canadian traffic ticket question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Good friend of mine got a pair of citations in Canada almost 3 years ago while visiting relatives. They told him not to pay them as after 3 years they would be dropped automatically, now on the eve of that anniversary they've turned it over to a US collection agency. My question is the 3 year rule true or false? Anyone know for sure? He does plan on crossing the border again in the future. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

why don't he just pay them??

3. I've never heard of that rule up here.........a buddy of mine told me the same thing applied to US tickets. But now that we live in the age of computors, the information highway,police force's that share info and governments that are cash strapped and know there's outstanding fines that add up to big money for their pockets, anything is fair game in their eye's.If he wants to come back to Canada I'd probably pay the fine or at least get a call into the police to ask, or a lawyer to find out your rights at least. Good luck, I hope all works out well for your buddy!!

4. Fatchuk

Fatchuk

I have never heard of that either..I think if he trys to come into canada he may get arrested and tossed in the crowbar motel till comes up with the cash or Visa..remember we talking about the government here and they never foget anything when it comes to squeezing money out of the little guys ...we always have to pay the bills for those jerks...probably better to just pay it...fatchuk

5. IN ALBERTA IF YOU HAVE OUTSTSNDING TICKETS YOU CANT REGISTER OR GET PLATES WHEN THEY COME DUE ,UNTIL ALL FINES ARE PAID......RAY

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    IN ALBERTA IF YOU HAVE OUTSTSNDING TICKETS YOU CANT REGISTER OR GET PLATES WHEN THEY COME DUE ,UNTIL ALL FINES ARE PAID......RAY

[/ QUOTE ]
    What a great idea!

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    IN ALBERTA IF YOU HAVE OUTSTSNDING TICKETS YOU CANT REGISTER OR GET PLATES WHEN THEY COME DUE ,UNTIL ALL FINES ARE PAID......RAY

[/ QUOTE ]

AND, that CAN include unpaid parking tickets!

If they find you haven't paid any parking tickets; your vehicle can be impounded. (doesn't matter who was driving it)

THEN they ADD the collection, towing and impound charges! (with interest, by the DAY!)

8. Same deal in Ontario.

If you owe them money,they want the money.

Why would they want to forget about it ? [​IMG]

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Never got a ticket in Canada, but the border guards always used to steal my cigarrettes. Thought of duct taping them under the car, but I figured, being Canadians, they'd sniff out the duct tape. [​IMG]

10. Rocket88

Rocket88

Same here in B.C.
    If you have outstanding tickets or fines you can't get insurance or anything for your car. [​IMG]
    It shouldn't be that much.
    He'll be paying in Canadian Peso's!

11. [ QUOTE ]
    Never got a ticket in Canada, but the border guards always used to steal my cigarrettes. Thought of duct taping them under the car, but I figured, being Canadians, they'd sniff out the duct tape.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might get you arrested for smuggling Duct Tape. [​IMG]

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    That might get you arrested for smuggling Duct Tape. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be by the "RED and GREEN" police?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Spedley

Spedley

I've never heard of the 3 year thing, but if there was a screw up on the ticket, you can get out of it. I got out of my last ticket cause they put the wrong court date on the ticket. I do know that they want all the $$ thats coming to them. I've been arrested twice for unpaid parking tickets, and they were $5 fines. Guess I shoulda paid them when I got em! [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. theodore

theodore

I learned that one the hard way when I lived in Calgary, cost me 350 bucks in parking tickets to renew my registration. Thank god they don't link parking tickets to insurance in B.C. [​IMG]

15. They sent me one for driving on a toll road and not paying the toll- it said it included late fees....first time I ever heard about the ticket.....needless to say I called em and told em to Ban me from Canada if they wished and I did not pay and will not pay it.
    That was two years ago........Ha! [​IMG]

16. Rocket88

Rocket88

Can you pay fines with Canadian Tire money? [​IMG]

17. kinda figured the 3 yr rule was bogus thought I'd ask, do know that crossing the canadian border can be real fun and games these days. If it was me I'd write the court and beg them to reduce the fines and then pay it, and if he had paid it 3 years ago when the exchange rate was running around 60/$1 he would have saved himself enough for a couple of good dinners. thanks [​IMG]

18. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Just pay it with Monopoly money. It's worth about the same as Canadian. Maybe even a little more.

19. [ QUOTE ]
    Can you pay fines with Canadian Tire money? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHA! NOW that's funny! They won't take pennys. I tried. $53 bucks worth. Shoulda seen their faces...
    I never heard about 3 years.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just pay it when he crosses over at the first RCMP station. They like money. Need to buy hay for their horses.

20. Iceberg

Iceberg

Just send them a pile of Mexican Pesos and tell them you're American & that you didn't know there was a difference between Mexico & Canadia. One third world country is the same as the next, eh?